Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektAutoScott View Post
So I run a little dealership here in Utah and I only sell bimmers because I love them so. I've previously worked at two different European repair shops, and I do contracted work for the Mercedes dealership when they have overflow, or cars that are out of warranty. I am in love with the N63tu and tu2. Working on them made me like them even more. Right now I daily a higer mileage (80K, well maintained) 2016 550iX and it feels like it's brand new. Yes there are a couple things to address here and there, mostly brittle plastic items that are near the turbos and the heat (PCV, turbo inlet pipes). Cheap parts, cheap jobs to do, all very accessible. Anyone who bashes these engines has never been behind the wheel of a newer 50i. Once you feel that torque, you will never give a shit about the little things. In fact, you may be like me and you get excited by the opportunity to dig into these masterpieces for maintenance items. I will say my 2013 X5M has had a boatload of issues with it's s63 but I'd be lying if I said i had any regrets. I love them all, and anyone who has bought an N63 model from me feels the same way.

If you are thinking about picking one up, but you keep getting scared off by Scotty Kilmer type YouTube videos and other keyboard warriors, just know that the negatives are a massive generalization. Pull the trigger on an N63tu+ car, you will NEVER look back (except to see the headlights of every Mustang and Camaro you smoke from a stoplight)
I should probably mention here that both I and AZTWW have had to replace our motors under 50k miles. There may be more but it doesn't seem that anyone is super vocal about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:35 AM   #46
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I should probably mention here that both I and AZTWW have had to replace our motors under 50k miles. There may be more but it doesn't seem that anyone is super vocal about it.
That sounds like two very extreme cases. Did you have complete engine failure? If so, what was the reason/culprit? I ask because the few engine replacements I've heard had to do with poorly maintained examples at high mileage, or people who were upset about a twin-turbo V8 burning too much oil, and the dealership not taking the right courses of action to address it until it was too late. I haven't seen or heard of a TU in my circle that went under 50K

Last edited by ProjektAutoScott; 11-20-2023 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #47
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektAutoScott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Details please, that sounds like two very extreme cases. Did you have complete engine failure? If so, what was the reason?
Mine developed a knock and the dealer didn't give me any insight into what caused it. My car had ~45k miles, was maintained on time or sooner and not driven too hard. They ended up changing out the short block on it and goodwilled 80% of the cost.. luckily. It would have cost about $13k otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #48
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

The original N63 was the first hot-v engine ever put in production so there where bound to be issues (timing chain stretch, injectors, valve guide seals, CCV tubes, etc). Much was improved with the TU however as the majority of the TU's start crossing the 100k barrier in the upcoming years, the valve guide seals and CCV tubes will still be an issue on TU's in warmer climates that were subjected to constant city stop and go mileage. The engine compartment is a heat tomb.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      04-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #49
feven1026
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

my 14 50i just reached 155K KM.

overall it is a excellent experience, the issue i am having now with cold start vibration and hesitation during acceleration afterwards.

also i feel the throttle isnt quite responsive.

replaced new coil and spark plugs @152K KM, tranny fluid done as well.

i am thinking the issue is carbon deposits on intake valves, going to to do seafoam tonight and see what happened.

Last edited by feven1026; 04-27-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      04-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #50
jdjennings513
Rep

I love my 50i about 80k, and it's out of warranty. I also have a very reputable independent BMW shop that I've used on my other Mini/BMW's. The only issues I've had was a vent pipe that failed, and valve stem seals. I've had several V8's and Turbo cars in the past, and none of them compare to 50i N63TU.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      04-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #51
Rightlanedriver
Rep
Drives: X5 50i 2014

N63TU I have so far is very reliable. I haven't even replaced anything such as coils, plugs or any vent pipe or anything. What I do suspect in cases when people get knock (in rare cases) is that it was tuned in one way or another, by current owner or previous owner. Tuned N63TU is capable of extreme torque (600+ ft-lb or more than 900 newton-meters) and at such power levels it's easy to bend a rod ever so slightly, if something goes wrong - like a slight hiccup in spark plug during full throttle acceleration - but it will be enough to warrant short block swap (very expensive).
So my take on it is that keep it stock (at least engine) and you should be able to drive it for many years to come.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      04-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #52
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
Nice info in this thread. I’m curious how many folks that have had troubles followed the factory service intervals compared to those who may have changed oil every 5k miles and cut the other fluid change intervals in half, as well as follow proper warm up procedure before putting stress on the drive train. I’ve rigorously done this with my vehicles and never really had a major issue. Knock on wood!! I’m one of those guys that my colleagues and friends make fun of for secretely enjoying spending $$$ on my cars. To all, good health to you AND your vehicles!!!
Appreciate 2
CT335xi684.00
DenBel232.00
      05-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #53
feven1026
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

so i got the seafoam done for intake valve.
something interesting found during the process.
white smoke came out from passenger side under the engine intake filter case, it was blowed up by cooling fan.
dont know if intercooler has vacuum leak, so the intercooler connects to turbo and throttle body.

any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #54
Dr. G7
Rep
Drives: Non BMW, but looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Correct - all F15 50i's (model year 2014 - 2018) have the N63TU. The prior generation E70 50i (model year 2011-2013) has the N63 and it's very maintenance heavy. I have first hand experience with that

The X5 you linked to is moderately optioned IMO - not a stripper but no where near loaded. I see the following packages/options:

M Sport package
Lighting package
Driver's Assistance package
Ventilated front seats
3rd row seats
Extended nappa leather/interior design package

Strange that it doesn't show Harmon Kardon sound, I thought that was standard on all F15 50i's. Is that part of the Executive Package, which I don't think this one has?
All F15 50i's (model year 2014 - 2018) have the N63TU.
What about the 35i?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:52 PM   #55
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

So my 14 50i has 70k km on it and I've already had the front diff replaced and now the valve stem seal is leaking so getting that repaired too.

The mechanic is recommending that they pull the engine out and replace all gaskets and seals. The whole thing will be covered under warranty howweevveeerrrr I feel like stopping them and asking them to only do the valve stem seals so they don't inadvertently cause more issues. And they probably just want to charge as much as they can to warranty.

Thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #56
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G7 View Post
All F15 50i's (model year 2014 - 2018) have the N63TU.
What about the 35i?
Umm, yah that's what I said

What about the 35i? All of them have the N55, is that what you're asking?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #57
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AychShake View Post
So my 14 50i has 70k km on it and I've already had the front diff replaced and now the valve stem seal is leaking so getting that repaired too.

The mechanic is recommending that they pull the engine out and replace all gaskets and seals. The whole thing will be covered under warranty howweevveeerrrr I feel like stopping them and asking them to only do the valve stem seals so they don't inadvertently cause more issues. And they probably just want to charge as much as they can to warranty.

Thoughts??
somebody...anybody?!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #58
LarryM4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6, 2015 M4 Convertible

Quote:

Thoughts??
Quote:
somebody...anybody?!
It sounds like you don't trust your dealer's mechanics. Like you would with a surgeon, get a second opinion by another BMW mechanic(s). If that is not possible, then you kind of have to follow this one's advice, otherwise BMW may not pay for another teardown if the first fix doesn't solve the issue.

I wouldn't worry about a mechanic over selling the repair. BMW is a business and they won't let a mechanic bilk them out of an unneeded repair, especially one involving an engine pull. In fact, the authorization process may take longer than the actual work.
      06-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #59
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:

Thoughts??
I’d just go ahead and replace all the gaskets and seals too, especially if they’re covered under warranty. Valve cover gaskets, upper oil pan gaskets and rear main seals are prone to leaking. In addition, I’d definitely replace the turbo oil return lines and turbo coolant lines. My E70 N63 was leaking in all these places, 30k miles after a valve stem seal job (I got an engine replacement as part of the settlement).

This is also a goo opportunity to replace the spark plugs at free labor. If the engine’s out, you can also replace/refresh any suspension component, brakes for free labor!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #60
Dr. G7
Rep
Drives: Non BMW, but looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
I’d just go ahead and replace all the gaskets and seals too, especially if they’re covered under warranty. Valve cover gaskets, upper oil pan gaskets and rear main seals are prone to leaking. In addition, I’d definitely replace the turbo oil return lines and turbo coolant lines. My E70 N63 was leaking in all these places, 30k miles after a valve stem seal job (I got an engine replacement as part of the settlement).

This is also a goo opportunity to replace the spark plugs at free labor. If the engine’s out, you can also replace/refresh any suspension component, brakes for free labor!
I would go for the whole job. If you do piecemeal. BMW can come back. Kind like AMA, patients leaving against medical advice are considered high risk.
Appreciate 0