Which do you prefer, and why?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Two different products for different purposes

Xpel will protect your paint from rocks/bumps etc... while sealing the paint underneath it.

Opticoat is a paint sealant that eliminates the need to wax again, keeps the car cleaner longer, provide some level of protection from swirl marks but does NOT offer any protection from rocks. The paint is still exposed unlike xpel. Think of Opticoat just a permanent super wax.
      05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

From my understanding these are products aimed at different goals.
Xpel is for paint protection (think rock chips/road rash ect) while Opticoat is toward protection of the quality of the pain work (think less waxing, less effort during car washing ect).
My understanding is that opticoat would not protect against chips and rash. And my EXPERIENCE is that Xpel is not "invisible" and once you scratch that puppy it's like having crappy pain all the same (but you can always remove it to find brand new paint below; though they are now making a "repairable" film these days). Opticoat will be a pain to remove if say you have to do repairs/ rock chips ect...

my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

hahah... we said the same thing...must be right!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

lol yes.

Opticoat can be removed by using polish from what I was told. If the panel needs to be repainted the body shop will need to sand the surface anyway so the opticoat will be removed at that time.

personally I could never get products like xpel because it isn't invisible. Maybe to my mother or my wife but seeing the seams and the slight color difference over time will bug me more than having a few rock chips.

Alan
      05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
lol yes.

Opticoat can be removed by using polish from what I was told. If the panel needs to be repainted the body shop will need to sand the surface anyway so the opticoat will be removed at that time.

personally I could never get products like xpel because it isn't invisible. Maybe to my mother or my wife but seeing the seams and the slight color difference over time will bug me more than having a few rock chips.

Alan
+1. Unless the product is invisible, the lines are kind of a mood killer for me. Rather see some chips here and there.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70

Thanks to all. I was told by an Opticoat Detailer here on the Central Coast that the paint needs " to cure" before application of this, and that it takes several months for that to occur. Seemed a bit unusual as I've read that many on this forum have gotten this process done right away.
Scott
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Alan, I don't know about that. I have Xpel on mine and could you tell it's there? In my photos that is. I know it's harder to tell in photos but trust me when I say that XPel is fairly optically clean that it wouldn't cause the paint underneath to "change color" like you say. I also have Opticoat on the non-XPel portions and I think that's the best way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2025 View Post
+1. Unless the product is invisible, the lines are kind of a mood killer for me. Rather see some chips here and there.
I thought that before too and for a while I had decided to not do the clear bras anymore. Instead I started applying track tape, the paint on stuff, or painters tape. Was such a pain in the ass and a waste of time. On my A6 I have some rock chips and they bug the crap out of me. Got a few tiny rock chips on my R8 within the first 2k miles and decided that is not the route I want to take. Ended up having the XPel Ultimate installed on the entire hood/fenders, front bumper, headlights, mirrors, A-pillars, front half of roof. Feel so much better and protected, plus you can can't even tell it's there unless you are right next to the car and looking for it.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Alan, I don't know about that. I have Xpel on mine and could you tell it's there? In my photos that is. I know it's harder to tell in photos but trust me when I say that XPel is fairly optically clean that it wouldn't cause the paint underneath to "change color" like you say. I also have Opticoat on the non-XPel portions and I think that's the best way to do it.
I can't tell in your pics but i'm sure I could in person. Xpel is the best one to get if you were to get any clear bra work done but from what i've seen in other cars give it some time for it to turn slightly yellowish. They all do from what i've seen but they do it over time. I didn't mean that it turns the paint under it yellow but rather the product itself does change color slightly. Might not be as noticeable on certain colors like Space Gray but on other lighter colors its visible. My other issue with it has more to do with the installer skill level. Every car i've seen with any kind of clear bra on it I could spot within seconds of looking at it. I jsut don't like seeing the seams but thats because I am very picky with stuff like that.

Alan
      05-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Like Mr. Punjabi, it'd drive me crazy if I had a car with a bunch of rock chips on it or even a few. I'd rather put up with seeing a few lines from the film. Small price to pay to keep from having those dreaded rock chips. YMMV I guess. I was referring to the film when I said that it could/may yellow over time. From what I understand, it's caused by the adhesive used in some of the earlier films. The latest ones are MUCH better at resisting that. Of course if you don't keep your cars for long then it wouldn't matter if you had rock chips or not, just pass it on to the next owner, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Like atomic said older films like 3m might turn yellow because of adhesive but based on my research and after talking to xpel representative, Xpel shouldnt have the problem. Xpel ultimate also comes with 10 years warranty. You can get Xpel installed without getting seams, just get the full coverage.
I don't like seams as well but I was ok with getting door edges for protection. The installer recommended partial hood but I went with the full hood because I didnt want to see the seam.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I tend to swap cars ever 3-4 years tops and I don't drive that much so i have relatively minor paint chips on all of my cars. BMW paint seems decently durable compared to other makes i've had in the past. If i knew that my car will be a keeper for a 5+ years then I may consider something like xpel but def. do full coverage.

In the meantime Opticoat works for me because I love how water flies off the car and how it keeps it cleaner longer. For the OP you can't go wrong with either products as long as you know what they were intended for.

Alan
      05-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpel View Post
Beechflyr,

Alan l. said it well

Just to clear a couple things up. There are many coverage options available. The two options the majority choose are:

Partial Front End) This kit will cover 18-24 inches up the hood and front fenders. Front bumper, mirrors, and even headlights in some cases. With this option there will be a line across the hood and fenders but depending on the color or the car it will be easier or harder to see.

Example Photo: 2013 650i - Partial Front End
Attachment 1022078
Attachment 1022080
Even with the partial coverage you cannot see a visible line across the hood or fenders.

Full Front End) This covers the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, and headlights in most cases. **There will be no seam/line across the hood**

Example Photo: E92 M3 - Full Front End
Attachment 1022081
Attachment 1022082

Example Install Video: E92 M3 - Full Front End

Unlike other films XPEL ULTIMATE has a 10 year warranty against yellowing, cracking, hazing, peeling, and staining. This means that you won't have to worry about a yellow clear bra on your BMW.
Well said! I've used Xpel since day 1 on my cars, couldn't be any happier! Yes, it's expensive, but my X5 is a daily driver that gets 50/60,000 miles a year and my OCD issues about stone chips are off the charts! When I sold my Touareg which had full protection, the buyer was amazed by the film and that it had no chips! I swear by it, the hard part is finding someone good and that uses Xpel Ultimate! Many guys I know paid for Xpel Ultimate but got a cheaper thinner film, later in time they found out it yellowed and were pissed because they received a crappy non Xpel film.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Also, I've tried opticoat, wasn't a big fan of it. Didn't like the rough feel of the paint, but it did stay clean. I'm still old school and I use Zymol Destiny Glaze every month, the shine and feel is amazing! Food for thought. Good Luck OP!

Joe
Appreciate 0