BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

"Drivetrain Malfunction" reported for first time - F15 X5 50i M sport

My fiancé was shopping at the mall today and received the "drivetrain malfunction" error. This was the first time either of us had seen this after about 1800 miles (PCD on 11/20/13). She said it seemed as if the car was idling awkwardly and struggling a bit. She did a couple of restarts and drove home from the mall.

I have yet to drive it - but assume we need to take the X5 50i to the dealership immediately. I've searched some of the forums and have seen postings about replacing the injectors, but I've also seen some reports where their vehicle has been at the dealer for a long period of time.

Should we go to the dealer immediately or is this something to just keep an eye on?

Obviously very excited for our friends and family to see the new SUV over the holidays and don't want to have to put the new X5 in the shop during the holidays.

Any advice would be appreciated regarding information on this error alert.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
My fiancé was shopping at the mall today and received the "drivetrain malfunction" error. This was the first time either of us had seen this after about 1800 miles (PCD on 11/20/13). She said it seemed as if the car was idling awkwardly and struggling a bit. She did a couple of restarts and drove home from the mall.

I have yet to drive it - but assume we need to take the X5 50i to the dealership immediately. I've searched some of the forums and have seen postings about replacing the injectors, but I've also seen some reports where their vehicle has been at the dealer for a long period of time.

Should we go to the dealer immediately or is this something to just keep an eye on?

Obviously very excited for our friends and family to see the new SUV over the holidays and don't want to have to put the new X5 in the shop during the holidays.

Any advice would be appreciated regarding information on this error alert.
I would without fail take it in. This could be anything from an injector issue like you said or one of many reasons that this issue has came up. We can all speculate on this board, but with a brand new vehicle like you have, I wouldn't waste any time in getting to the dealership. There have been software issues with a re-flash being a fix as reported by one person, and there have been some where it flashed on the screen and nothing happened since. Make sure they treat you well with a loaner. Post on your issues/fix when this gets resolved.

As a coincidence, my wife and I are looking to buy a new 50i sport to replace our current 50i but with these issues and delivery delays, I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about this whole thing. Have you had any problems other than this one?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

Ckortane,
What did BMW do to fix the problem?

My 50i MSport has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks with the same issue and the dealer can't seem to find the problem. Everything they have done(Which I doubt is all that much!)has not fixed the Drivetrain Malfunction error.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
Ckortane,
What did BMW do to fix the problem?

My 50i MSport has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks with the same issue and the dealer can't seem to find the problem. Everything they have done(Which I doubt is all that much!)has not fixed the Drivetrain Malfunction error.
Not to be negative or speculate but I agree that you need to get the issue documented by the dealership ASAP. I've been going through the same error on my '11 X5 50i for the past year. So much so that BMW is buying back my car. When speaking with my local dealership's lead tech, the V8 has issues with timing chains, injectors, and spark plugs getting cracked. Mine left me stranded on the highway many times. Even after replacing the timing chain, injectors, and plugs mine had the same error within a week of picking it back up. The last straw was when I was stranded with my infant son.

I hope this isn't the case for you and I'm sure they all aren't like this but there was a 750 and 550 at my dealership with the same issues.

I say to get it documented because that helped me when negotiating the Trade Assist. I have a 35d on order now. I'll miss the power and sound of the V8 though...

Edit: My error was "Engine malfunction! Reduced power"

Good luck

Last edited by SpeedN8; 04-04-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0