BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #45
Toddrdmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Love another finished photo. Can't quite see the one you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #46
ducatirdr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Just had the ExecuHitch installed by a local body shop. Cost me $250 to have it done. Which is much cheaper than if I did it myself. Because I know I'd mess it up.

This Livin'Lite 7x20 Toyhauler is 3700lbs empty and I use it to pull my bike to the track and also camping out at events. The new 35D pulls it like its not there. Much better than my old 2011 35i.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #47
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
The van is shinier than your X5?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #48
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

I'm also going down the route of the execuhitch. Do any of you know if the BMW OEM wiring harness controls the trailer electronic brakes or if I have to get a separate controller?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #49
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
I'm also going down the route of the execuhitch. Do any of you know if the BMW OEM wiring harness controls the trailer electronic brakes or if I have to get a separate controller?

thanks
skalberti confirmed via a PM that the OEM harness does control the breaks. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #50
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just found out that the OEM harness does not include a controller for the electric breaks on the trailer. You need to purchase a separate controller and connect it to the trailer via the harness.

Do all of you who are towing have break controllers installed? Im trying to figure out if I need one to tow my 2000lbs tent trailer.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #51
ducatirdr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
Just found out that the OEM harness does not include a controller for the electric breaks on the trailer. You need to purchase a separate controller and connect it to the trailer via the harness.

Do all of you who are towing have break controllers installed? Im trying to figure out if I need one to tow my 2000lbs tent trailer.
It is very doubtful that the 2000lbs tent trailer has trailer brakes. Usually brakes are on dual axle trailers that have GVW weight equal or exceeding the pull vehicle.

Electric brakes on a trailer are simply ON and OFF without any modulation until you add a brake controller. There is two parts of the harness that e-brakes require. First is obvious, the harness must support working brakes lights. Second is a 12v feed to the trailer from the pull vehicle. This is often used to charge the trailers 12v lighting system on board battery. This is also a requirement to power the e-brakes. (This is the 1 o'clock pin in the harness with the hinge of the 7-way being noon. Test that pin for 12-14v output with a multi-meter to verify you have power to the e-brakes)

The Tenkonsha Prodigy RF is what I use for my toy hauler seen above. It is a simple installation that works with the BMW OEM wiring harness. One critical issue is that the RF comes with the remote not paired to the controller. This pairing must be accomplished on any other vehicle other than a Euro brand vehicle that has electronic light failure detection. This feature sends test current to brake lights and it messes up the pairing of the Tekonsha Prodigy RF. Once the remote and the controller are paired the unit works with any tow vehicle wired for e-brakes. Suggestion- Don't install the controller to the trailer without pairing it first. Simply take the box and remote to somewhere you know has an e-braked ready tow vehicle (camper store, Uhaul...) and plug in the controller to the 7 way and pair it using the instructions. Then bring it home and install it to your trailer. I used my toy hauler this weekend for the first time using this hitch and controller. Everything worked fine once the remote was paired to the controller. (Note the vehicle is not paired to the controller. It is the remote that pairs. Hence once paired any vehicle with a 7-way e-brake ready works just fine.)

Pulled the toy hauler camper to Cape Cod over rolling hills and saw 15mpg with about 5000lbs in tow on my 35d diesel.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #52
00seven
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Stability Control & Trailer Light

Hello,

I´m trying to locate those functions in the Coding Software:

- Stability Control - Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions

- Trailer Light - Notification of failure (bulb out) on trailer

Could someone please point me to the right location?
I would like to activate if not or check if activated allready

Thanks a lot !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #53
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Execuhitch installation

Really appreciate this post. I purchased a 2015 X5d earlier this year (just turned 7K miles) My first BMW. After some research I settled on purchasing the Execuhitch/Invisihitch in order to tow my utility trailer and boat. After reading this post and going through the directions provided I decided to do the install along with my father. We both figured it would be a fun project to do together.

Everything went fairly well (had a little challenge initially trying to carefully pull the body pieces off but you get a feel for it after popping the first few tabs out, also had one of the locking tabs on the wire connection that gets disconnected before pulling the facia fully off break off when I squeezed it. The connection did fully snap in place when I reconnected it) and the final result looks great. One side note here. I have the cheaper black matte trim above the wheels and as a bumper in the back. My only regret is not getting the matching space gray color for these trim pieces. I'm thinking the quality of the material is also likely a lot better. I 'm really enjoy the car.

I haven't done the coding yet or plugged my trailer into the electrical connection but I am getting an error for the park assist. It no longer automatically detects the need to activate in tight parking situations. Both the surround and rear view camera can still be activated manually. Any thoughts about what the issue may be? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #54
jdmdohcpower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

I don't think I want to get involved in coding so if I installed everything with BMW harness like you did, can I just go to the dealer and ask them to do the trailer coding stuff?
      06-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #55
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower View Post
I don't think I want to get involved in coding so if I installed everything with BMW harness like you did, can I just go to the dealer and ask them to do the trailer coding stuff?
If you get the execuhitch package they provide a person to do the coding over the phone using your own computer as part of the purchase. I'm not doing the coding myself either.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #56
jdmdohcpower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo2Shelby View Post
If you get the execuhitch package they provide a person to do the coding over the phone using your own computer as part of the purchase. I'm not doing the coding myself either.
Due to that fact right there I will gladly give them my business
      07-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #57
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo2Shelby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower View Post
Invisihitch gives you the cable to do the coding. You can easily download the software and code the zoom feature yourself or they can do it for you as well. The dealership cannot code the zoom feature for you.
Attached Images

07-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #58
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo2Shelby
Really appreciate this post. I purchased a 2015 X5d earlier this year (just turned 7K miles) My first BMW. After some research I settled on purchasing the Execuhitch/Invisihitch in order to tow my utility trailer and boat. After reading this post and going through the directions provided I decided to do the install along with my father. We both figured it would be a fun project to do together.

Everything went fairly well (had a little challenge initially trying to carefully pull the body pieces off but you get a feel for it after popping the first few tabs out, also had one of the locking tabs on the wire connection that gets disconnected before pulling the facia fully off break off when I squeezed it. The connection did fully snap in place when I reconnected it) and the final result looks great. One side note here. I have the cheaper black matte trim above the wheels and as a bumper in the back. My only regret is not getting the matching space gray color for these trim pieces. I'm thinking the quality of the material is also likely a lot better. I 'm really enjoy the car.

I haven't done the coding yet or plugged my trailer into the electrical connection but I am getting an error for the park assist. It no longer automatically detects the need to activate in tight parking situations. Both the surround and rear view camera can still be activated manually. Any thoughts about what the issue may be? Thanks!
Make sure the auto PDC is turned on in iDrive and make sure all your connections for the PDC sensors in the rear bumper are securely fastened.
      07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #59
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

invisihitch installation without cutting the bumper

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my setup. Couple of years ago I purchased the bike rack version of the invisihitch which I installed myself. Just recently we got a tent trailer which required the hitch to be modified to accommodate the 7-pin receiver and the chain loops. The invisihitch guys were awesome and shipped the "conversion kit" promptly. It contained all of the parts needed to convert my bike rack hitch to a tow hitch, including the wiring harness.

The kit also contained 2 metal brackets which attach the 7-pin receiver to the the rest of the hitch. One of the brackets did not fit my setup and the other required the bumper to be cut as in the original post. Cutting the bumper is obviously not ideal although not a deal breaker either. After carefully trying one of the brackets in various positions I found a way to mount it without needing to cut the bumper! I've taken several trips with the tent trailer now and the setup is solid and works great. I will post some pics after work for those who want to see how to avoid cutting the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #60
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Make sure the auto PDC is turned on in iDrive and make sure all your connections for the PDC sensors in the rear bumper are securely fastened.
Thank you! It was the PDC sensor which I was able to connect fully.

The folks at execuhitch include the cable as you mentioned and also include coding of several items as part of the purchase. Steve from execuhitch referred me to a company named CodeMyCar. Okee from CodeMyCar provided directions to download several files so that he can make the coding changes. I haven't completed the process yet but was told it would take about an hour after the files are downloaded. I'm doing the downloads tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #61
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

pictures of install w/o cutting the bumper

In order to get this to work I had to drill 1 hole in the long L shaped bracket to attach the bracket that holds the 7-pin receiver. The rest is pretty self evident from the photos. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to try and explain it better. Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #62
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Their website now states it's a 6000 lb capacity. I thought the biggest benefit was getting the x5 up to 7k. Is this no longer the case? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #63
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

I don't think their website is current and I'd call and ask. I noticed some inconsistencies as well and needed to discuss some of my questions over the phone before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #64
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

What happened to the pictures in the OP? I looked at this thread a week ago and they were there, just checking now and all the pictures in post 1 are gone??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 03:13 AM   #65
IFlyEm
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Hey guys,

Having an issue getting my harness to test. Here are the details.

Thoughts?

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post19462708
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #66
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm
Hey guys,

Having an issue getting my harness to test. Here are the details.

Thoughts?

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post19462708
I would try a different tester. Also how did you connect your wires? Butt connector? T tap? Check the connections to make sure they're solid.