BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
What's the rationale for BMW not to make all these colors optional for drivers to choose without having to go the coding route?
Because outside of the colors choices we currently have, those are pretty ugly. Green, purple, violet, barf
:bs: OPINION !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies View Post
Yes, my opinion. Thank you Captain Obvious. This is a forum where opinion is one of the many types of posts you'll see. So what was the point of your post?

Outside of having an opinion, do you have an official reason as to why BMW wouldn't want those colors available?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #25
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, my opinion. Thank you Captain Obvious. This is a forum where opinion is one of the many types of posts you'll see. So what was the point of your post?

Outside of having an opinion, do you have an official reason as to why BMW wouldn't want those colors available?
Opinions are only appreciated when they are encouraging. "If you don't have anything nice to say , say nothing at all."
And if I have a official explanation or not is irrelevant. I posted this DIY for anyone that enjoys other colors and likes to know how to make use of them, not for somebody to come by and talk negativity . That only shows how much you appreciated what somebody did, and why people stop sharing information. Selfish thinking.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Opinions are only appreciated when they are encouraging. "If you don't have anything nice to say , say nothing at all."
And if I have a official explanation or not is irrelevant. I posted this DIY for anyone that enjoys other colors and likes to know how to make use of them, not for somebody to come by and talk negativity . That only shows how much you appreciated what somebody did, and why people stop sharing information. Selfish thinking.
Let me start off by making this very clear: my original post had nothing to do with your post which is why I didn't quote you or reference you in it.

I didn't ask you specifically for an explanation. That had to do entirely to the person I was responding to because quite honestly, unless he or anyone else has an official explanation, these are all opinions. So yes, it is relevant. And yes, I firmly beleive that those other colors are absolutely hideous. You may or may not agree with it but thats why they call it an opinion.

I quoted another post that asked why BMW wouldn't give us access to these colors via idrive; and that's where I responded.

Oh, and the mantra "If you don't have anything nice to say , say nothing at all." is perfect for this overly-soft generation of kids today but I'm a grown man. If you can't handle differing opinions, I suggest getting off the internet entirely because it will happen whether you like it or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #27
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Let me start off by making this very clear: my original post had nothing to do with your post which is why I didn't quote you or reference you in it.

I didn't ask you specifically for an explanation. That had to do entirely to the person I was responding to because quite honestly, unless he or anyone else has an official explanation, these are all opinions. So yes, it is relevant. And yes, I firmly beleive that those other colors are absolutely hideous. You may or may not agree with it but thats why they call it an opinion.

I quoted another post that asked why BMW wouldn't give us access to these colors via idrive; and that's where I responded.

Oh, and the mantra "If you don't have anything nice to say , say nothing at all." is perfect for this overly-soft generation of kids today but I'm a grown man. If you can't handle differing opinions, I suggest getting off the internet entirely because it will happen whether you like it or not.
Oh boy...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I call a draw!
      05-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #29
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Another FYI is that after coding the first time (color) the Interior ambient lighting will turn off and not back on until the car goes into "sleep"; this can be 30min after leaving and locking the car. It might even take longer if you leave a computer turned on inside the vehicle (no joke).
Thanks for this note, I thought I broke it, but patience was the solution!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #30
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Thanks for this note, I thought I broke it, but patience was the solution!
You are welcome! I thought the same thing at first that why I figured I let others know :-).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #31
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Or maybe saving them for the LCI?
+1
      05-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #32
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Allowing 24 choices (8 each for for top, handles and foot rest) is ridiculous and thoughtless in my view. The way to have handled it is to allow color changes by rotating the iDrive controller and seeing the color change as you rotate, like other LED controllers allow. Three rotations would get you the combo you want. Or, further simplify and do as they have. I don't feel like I a missing out by not having a pink, turquoise, green and "Unknown" (see menu drop down in coding pic) lights. Then again, I might want the occasion to make it look like an old fashion pizzeria by having a bright green, white and red combo

Stil, great find. There is so much in the codes to be discovered.
The 2016 Audi Q7 does exactly that, rotating the knob will give you endless color selections, I really don't care much for that, but I would love to get a "stronger and deeper" blue, I use orange mostly.
      06-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
yk1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

there are 10 "GROUP_0_FARBE_ENSEMBLE", from 1 to 10.

Are all of these active from manufacture?

if not, can i re-enable them to have more color group?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #34
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk1988 View Post
there are 10 "GROUP_0_FARBE_ENSEMBLE", from 1 to 10.

Are all of these active from manufacture?

if not, can i re-enable them to have more color group?
The total configurations in the Lighting menu in your iDrive are what can be done - so that entire list. The first three are WHITE, BLUE, and ORANGE...the following are mixture of those three - white/blue/blue, white/orange/orange, etc. So, basically, you can actually change them all to whatever colors you want in whatever variation/mix you want, but their names in the iDrive will all remain the same. That's the only downside, so you just have to remember which one is which. I've only done white, red, efficiency blue, purple, and green (hell_gruen is a faded yellow rather than a light green, so if you want a bright green, choose gruen) because I didn't really care for any of the other ones after I tested them all. I had about 9 different ones at one point - they were all one matching color, red/red/red, green/green/green, etc.
      06-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #35
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks , IF you would have read the thread at the time you where posting... You would have known that I had to switch computers because the battery was dying and I did not have the charger with me!
Hello, I see you know how to code/program your car, can you give me a good advice where to start learning about coding and what type of hardware is needed?

I would love to start with easy tasks like the colors you posted.

Thanks in advance!
      06-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #36
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Hello, I see you know how to code/program your car, can you give me a good advice where to start learning about coding and what type of hardware is needed?

Thanks in advance!
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991

Start with the coding thread. All you need is the latest software (PM shawnsheridan for this), an ENET OBD2 cable (in the thread with links), and a laptop that has an ethernet port or usb port or thunderbolt port (you'll need an ethernet to usb or ethernet to thunderbolt adapter if going this route). If you need help, let me know.
      06-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #37
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991

Start with the coding thread. All you need is the latest software (PM shawnsheridan for this), an ENET OBD2 cable (in the thread with links), and a laptop that has an ethernet port or usb port or thunderbolt port (you'll need an ethernet to usb or ethernet to thunderbolt adapter if going this route). If you need help, let me know.
Thanks!
Will check the coding thread and will get back to you if I have any doubts

07-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #38
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Awesome thread with details pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #39
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Slightly off topic quick question, am I missing something or is there really no illumination of the cup holder area at night? That area is pitch black in my 2016 X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x25D and 640i Cabrio

Hey there, is there an option to change the colour automatically to whether the car is in eco or sport mode? Eg. Blue led when eco, and orange when sport.

I have that in the lexus, and i thought its the same for the x5, but I cant seem to find the option for it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #41
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripperhappy
Hey there, is there an option to change the colour automatically to whether the car is in eco or sport mode? Eg. Blue led when eco, and orange when sport.

I have that in the lexus, and i thought its the same for the x5, but I cant seem to find the option for it.

Thanks
There is not unfortunately. The only thing that changes colors based on mode is the dash display. What you can do though is program one of the numbers to be your color menu as a quick access.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #42
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge
Slightly off topic quick question, am I missing something or is there really no illumination of the cup holder area at night? That area is pitch black in my 2016 X5.
There is not really, only the lights that are next to your sunroof button.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #43
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post

Thanks in advance!
There is also a forum dedicated to F8X specific coding:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=631
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #44
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

OP....thanks for furthering the collective knowledge.
Appreciate 0