02-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #67
r20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
BMW does not recommend idling with cold engine temps as the oil is not at its optimal operating temps. Hence it's better to start driving right away.
I'm like the OP... I'm not worried about the engine, I'm worried about my family jewels, as they shiver and clank against each other.

I'm afraid they'll shatter along with my bones.

I hate the cold, cold... Above 40 I can tolerate, but single digit temps drive me nuts.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #68
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
BMW does not recommend idling with cold engine temps as the oil is not at its optimal operating temps. Hence it's better to start driving right away.
Yet BMW themselves sells a remote start that allows you to idle the vehicle to warm up... Odd. Makes you wonder where the disconnect lies.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #69
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Yet BMW themselves sells a remote start that allows you to idle the vehicle to warm up... Odd. Makes you wonder where the disconnect lies.
They only sell this in America it seems.

Also after the novelty period, I have found it to be mostly useless since it doesn't do anything like start heated seats, defroster in back, etc. I imagine when summer comes around it will be more useless to combat heat since it can run the A/C, but so far in the winter I'm a bit disappointed.

And I can't seem to do anything extra on the app hence further disappointment.
      03-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #70
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

sadly in some regions the device is illegal by their regulations/standards. volvo and lr/rr also state not to idle and to drive off but offer a remote start feature from the phone which does the exact opposite of what the manual recommends. i feel the start/stop feature does more harm on a cold motor and oil than idling.

i agree that on this vehicle the remote start is a novelty. the inability to start the vehicle from office, bedroom, etc is just dumb especially at this price.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #71
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr006 View Post
Quote:
I'm like the OP... I'm not worried about the engine, I'm worried about my family jewels, as they shiver and clank against each other.

I'm afraid they'll shatter along with my bones.

I hate the cold, cold... Above 40 I can tolerate, but single digit temps drive me nuts.
I can't stand the cold either, I want to tell Mother Nature, like I get it already, yes it's cold, no need to show me single digits to drive the point home, you win......my fingers, face and toes lose.....geesh!!!
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #72
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
They only sell this in America it seems.

Also after the novelty period, I have found it to be mostly useless since it doesn't do anything like start heated seats, defroster in back, etc. I imagine when summer comes around it will be more useless to combat heat since it can run the A/C, but so far in the winter I'm a bit disappointed.

And I can't seem to do anything extra on the app hence further disappointment.
alphaod why don't you code your vehicle to remember the climate settings so that you set it once and the next time you start your car with remote start, the rear defroster is on, seat heaters are maxed out, steering wheel heat is on, and temperature set to your preference? seems like an easy solution.

anybody else install this on their vehicles and with what results?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #73
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

6spdcoupe has done an aftermarket install successfully with his X5 50i. Drone Mobile will allow you to remote start/lock/unlock from your phone. Anyone in NJ that wants to get it done I highly recommend you get it done with him. I would if I didn't want a Racechip more :P
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #74
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurass View Post
6spdcoupe has done an aftermarket install successfully with his X5 50i. Drone Mobile will allow you to remote start/lock/unlock from your phone. Anyone in NJ that wants to get it done I highly recommend you get it done with him. I would if I didn't want a Racechip more :P
is it posted on here or a DIY that you mention him?

what retailers carry the product?

what does racechip and this remote start have in common that you can't both or did you mean because of funds? it's not like they are both using a OBD port or something, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:50 AM   #75
Iaro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xdrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
I just checked this part number 64 50 2 408 984 for the remote start retrofit on realoem and it said " cannot be sold in the USA for legal legal reasons...". Is this retrofit not available for us here in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #76
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
is it posted on here or a DIY that you mention him?

what retailers carry the product?

what does racechip and this remote start have in common that you can't both or did you mean because of funds? it's not like they are both using a OBD port or something, right?
Racechip and remotestart don't have anything in common. Like you said, Funds.

He got it done with DEI products (clifford/Viper). You can add SmartStart to so that you can remote start from an APP on your phone.
You can purchase that from any DEI installer but they might not be able to make it work with the X5 correctly. In my research, not many people in the USA know how to make it work with aftermarket gear.

I mention him because he has personally done it on his own X5 and got it to work correctly. He's a professional installer in NJ but I'm sure would help anyone with info on how to make it work.
Appreciate 1
monkiboy533.50