BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
htc2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

leased X5 in NY, now moving to CA

I leased my X5 in NY (June 2016) but I'm now moving to CA in Feb 2017 (not planned) and was wondering how my lease payments would transfer. I talked to BMWFS and it seems I'll have to pay CA sales tax on my monthly payments. However I bundled my NY taxes into the monthly payments. Am I stuck paying double tax?? Does anyone have any experience moving a leased car from NY to CA? Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc2000 View Post
I leased my X5 in NY (June 2016) but I'm now moving to CA in Feb 2017 (not planned) and was wondering how my lease payments would transfer. I talked to BMWFS and it seems I'll have to pay CA sales tax on my monthly payments. However I bundled my NY taxes into the monthly payments. Am I stuck paying double tax?? Does anyone have any experience moving a leased car from NY to CA? Any help is appreciated.
just a thought, but is it necessary to say anything at all, just maybe make the payments online, do paperless billing, no adress change for them to know about?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandro13 View Post
just a thought, but is it necessary to say anything at all, just maybe make the payments online, do paperless billing, no adress change for them to know about?
until its time to renew registration
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
htc2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandro13 View Post
Quote:
Maybe a good option
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
You can get exemption when you register in CA since the two states have an agreement. You may have to do some research but I didn't have to pay taxes moving from CA to NY though I am financing (taxes would technically still be rolled in).

All they need to see is your bill of sale showing taxes.

As for not changing registration... no can do as NYS requires annual inspection and you can't renew without that and they don't allow out-of-state address.
      12-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

A few years back I leased a car here in CA and moved to Florida. Kept my payments the same and when the lease was up I returned the car at a Florida dealership. When I registered the car in FL there was just a small registration fee to pay, they handed me a license plate and that was it.

I then bought a car in Florida and was offered to move back to CA a few months later. When I asked the CA DMV about registering an out of state car they came up with some silly numbers asking me to pay CA tax for the car and also the 2009 and 2010 CA license and registration fees. The reason for that is that the car was fairly new and had just a few thousand miles. They also mentioned that once the car is above a certain number of miles and older than a certain amount of time (I wish I remembered these numbers exactly) that tax and registration scheme does not apply. They simply want to avoid people buying cars in states with lower tax brackets in order to save $ and then bring them to CA.

As I believe it was asinine to pay what would have been about $6500 for a tax that I had already paid and for road use in a state where I was not driving for those 2 years, nor received license plates, etc... I decided to not bring the car until that time had elapsed (in my case it was a short period of time). I left the car with a friend and had it shipped once I was sure I didn’t need to pay those fees. I then went to the DMV again and paid $500 to have the car registered here. You just needed to run a smog check test to pass CA emissions and they do a quick car inspection at your local DMV office.

It may be different on a lease but what BMWFS says makes sense, maybe they can adjust you payment taking into account the tax rate difference between both states. They must have this situation with other customers before, so depending on the tax rates you may owe a little or get a bit of money left at the end of your lease.

Either way you will have to deal with it and register the car here once you bring it in. DMV says you must do it within 10 days of getting your new permanent address in the state. While this may seem trivial, it may not be to your insurance company, and in the event of a claim they may give you a hard time.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
As for not changing registration... no can do as NYS requires annual inspection and you can't renew without that and they don't allow out-of-state address.
he can let the inspection expire and CA will not ticket him for expired NYS inspection. he will not get a ticket in CA for not having inspection because the vehicle isn't registered in that state.

Quote:
Any help is appreciated.
explore options on leasetrader and have someone take over the lease and then when you're settled in the new land purchase/lease/finance another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
he can let the inspection expire and CA will not ticket him for expired NYS inspection. he will not get a ticket in CA for not having inspection because the vehicle isn't registered in that state.

explore options on leasetrader and have someone take over the lease and then when you're settled in the new land purchase/lease/finance another vehicle.
His NY registration will expire at some point too. Without the state inspection, you can't renew the registration. You can get a ticket for expired registration in all 50 states
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

change your addres to where you are moving. If your tax payments are rolled into your monthly payments, there will be an adjustment. You won't be double taxed. The only thing that sucks in you will have to pay to regsiter your car in CA. Not sure how much that costs but I imagine its not going to kill you
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Registration in CA is actually very expensive. It's something like 10% of the tax of your car accounted for depreciation... It goes down every year, but eventually your car depreciates very little. For me it was $700 to renew this year, so I switched NY which is $250 for two years.

I know NY is very expensive for people who pay $30 in some state with no cars, but CA is a whole another ballpark.

What really annoyed me about CA was (1) premium gas was 91 octane, (2) in the winter you can't buy high alcohol content windshield washer fluid except in the mountains, (3) really ridiculous fees for cars. But you'll like the lack of tolls in most places unless you want to use HOV lanes by yourself.

Last edited by alphaod; 12-08-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
His NY registration will expire at some point too. Without the state inspection, you can't renew the registration. You can get a ticket for expired registration in all 50 states
you renew registration early online within 30 days of the inspection expiring. (he could inspect the vehicle for $10 and it would be good for a year and his registration is two years out.) but i didn't say ticket for expired registration but for expired inspection. while this is not the recommended method you could get away with it for a bit. i would just dump the car and find something new once i settled down in the new state.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

You need to BMW financial to send a letter to get the car registered in CA before your registration expires in NYC. For your car, it will be about $500 bucks. Once you alert BMWFS of change of address and registration, they will change your tax rate to your new CA zip. The worst part is our DMV, appointments are a month out and you still have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Taxes are based on registration address. Have you compared tax rates?

NY and CA have same tint laws but CA does not have newly passed NY tint inspection.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
you renew registration early online within 30 days of the inspection expiring. (he could inspect the vehicle for $10 and it would be good for a year and his registration is two years out.) but i didn't say ticket for expired registration but for expired inspection. while this is not the recommended method you could get away with it for a bit. i would just dump the car and find something new once i settled down in the new state.
I know you said you won't get a ticket for an expired inspection but I added that you can for an expired registration. You think driving the car back from CA to NY for an inspection makes sense? Because at some point, that is the only option unless they register the car in CA. NY won't accept any other state's inspection to renew the registration
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #15
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

I keep my car registered in FL. No inspections and can be renewed online. They will even send the sticker out of state
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #16
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

My mom used to work for the CA Board of Equalization. She said you can get an exemption by completing this, BOE Form 106 prior to visiting your local CA DMV. Make sure to bring all your vehicle/dealer docs as proof that you paid the State of NY sales tax.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe106.pdf

Good luck buddy and welcome to Commiefornia. Whereabouts in CA are you moving to?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #17
htc2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
My mom used to work for the CA Board of Equalization. She said you can get an exemption by completing this, BOE Form 106 prior to visiting your local CA DMV. Make sure to bring all your vehicle/dealer docs as proof that you paid the State of NY sales tax.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe106.pdf

Good luck buddy and welcome to Commiefornia. Whereabouts in CA are you moving to?
Thanks for the info everyone! Moving to LA!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
You think driving the car back from CA to NY for an inspection makes sense? Because at some point, that is the only option unless they register the car in CA. NY won't accept any other state's inspection to renew the registration
no, i think we're having a miscommunication here... he can inspect the vehicle before he leaves and it extends him a year out. he can then renew registration early online before the inspection expires. that's it. fairly simple. the only time you cannot renew your registration is if the vehicle does not have current inspection in the NYSDMV system OR if the inspection is going to expire in the same month you are registering the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
no, i think we're having a miscommunication here... he can inspect the vehicle before he leaves and it extends him a year out. he can then renew registration early online before the inspection expires. that's it. fairly simple. the only time you cannot renew your registration is if the vehicle does not have current inspection in the NYSDMV system OR if the inspection is going to expire in the same month you are registering the vehicle.
Go it

Yes, mere miscommunication
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      12-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #20
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

again, this is not the best option to entertain and should only be a last resort.
Appreciate 0