BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2023, 02:07 PM   #1
c00lbeansdude
Rep
Drives: x5

help, Ista+ update failed x5 bricked.

Hi. I tried updating the ilevel with ista+ last night. It failed and kept asking me to turn on ignition or activat pad. then would ask to turn off ignition or disable pad several times. At this point the HU wont turn on. Transmission wont change into gear. The dashboard turns on, with a red dot near the milage and fans will run but it wont fully turn off. it goes dark and glows the backround image.

I plan to tow it to the dealer ship. Should I disconnect the batteries to save them from the dash draining them? How fucked am i?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Which modules did you update in particular? Did you connect the charger to your car or you tried to run it on battery? Can ISTA still connect to your car? If it can what modules can you connect to?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
c00lbeansdude
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Which modules did you update in particular? Did you connect the charger to your car or you tried to run it on battery? Can ISTA still connect to your car? If it can what modules can you connect to?
I tried it on battery. I have the 40e so figured the high voltage battery would keep everything charged, which I believe is probably incorrect and the cause of the failure. Ista still connects and says it found a previous programming session. It does ask my to manually input the vin. When it tries to do a diagnostic test, it gets stuck in a loop of turning the ignition on and off or deactivating or activating pad mode with the seatbelt inserted. It won’t show the controls it’s and tells me to contact support.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 07:19 PM   #4
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

At this point I would treat it like any other computer, shut it down wait a few hours then reboot.

In other words, disconnect the battery give everything time to power down, then reconnect with the battery on a charger, then try ista again.

Always try the free/cheap fixes first.
Appreciate 2
tfunk88201.00
sukhk5272189.00