BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #573
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Great, another thing I missed, I need to start visiting this site during day hours so I actually can read without missing posts.

Thanks @Mat3333
      11-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #574
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Great, another thing I missed, I need to start visiting this site during day hours so I actually can read without missing posts.

Thanks @Mat3333
Lol, that's why I just read my email from my phone .

I sent you a PM btw.
      11-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #575
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks @Mat3333
Haha so true. We need a wiki page
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #576
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Once I get confirmation from more than one person that the above coding works on both LED and Bi-Xenon (I'll test on my car), I'll add it to the cheat sheet. Every time I update the cheat sheet, I'll let everyone know the update.
      11-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #577
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
Haha so true. We need a wiki page
Yep, that would be really cool but I think Opasha's first post in this thread is really like a one big wiki article because he keeps editing it with up to date info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Once I get confirmation from more than one person that the above coding works on both LED and Bi-Xenon (I'll test on my car), I'll add it to the cheat sheet. Every time I update the cheat sheet, I'll let everyone know the update.
Got your PM, thanks Opasha.

I am going back to mirror dimming code, can it be done individually or is it all or nothing? I wanted to check if we could disable dimming on passenger side and keep it for driver side mirror?
      11-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #578
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that would be really cool but I think Opasha's first post in this thread is really like a one big wiki article because he keeps editing it with up to date info!

Got your PM, thanks Opasha.

I am going back to mirror dimming code, can it be done individually or is it all or nothing? I wanted to check if we could disable dimming on passenger side and keep it for driver side mirror?
Thanks for reminding me about up to date info...@shawnsheridan edited the instructions for the step by step PDF for me, I'll post that now!

I just looked it up. CODDT_00_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (left mirror) and CODDT_01_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (right mirror). I've updated the cheat sheet with this information.

Last edited by opasha; 11-29-2014 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #579
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about up to date info...@shawnsheridan edited the instructions for the step by step PDF for me, I'll post that now!

I just looked it up. CODDT_00_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (left mirror) and CODDT_01_SCAL_DIM_ECR_LIN (right mirror). I've updated the cheat sheet with this information.
Thank you very much for the clarification. Cheat Sheet just had "current" so I wasn't sure if one was side mirrors (both) and the other was rearview mirror.
I would leave 00 (Left) at default value and make 01 (Right) werte 00 to disable it? I see you have 20 to 39, I am not sure what that does.
      11-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #580
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for the clarification. Cheat Sheet just had "current" so I wasn't sure if one was side mirrors (both) and the other was rearview mirror.
I would leave 00 (Left) at default value and make 01 (Right) werte 00 to disable it? I see you have 20 to 39, I am not sure what that does.
This thread right here really explains the dimming mirrors well: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=741149. 20 to 39 deals with the dimming darkness, 39 being darker. 00 is disabled/not active/nicht_aktiv usually. Werte = 01 usually correlates to beign aktiv.

I have updated the 4th link at the top of the OP that deals with ESYS Step-By-Step Installation Guide with @shawnsheridan's updated pdf. It's much more concise/easier to understand without the EDIABAS and older software info that is no longer needed.
      11-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #581
2014_F15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X15 35d

Quote:

1. Anti-Dazzle LED Lighting (thank you @skalberti and @shawnsheridan - I also did some of my own reading to better explain the FLA module): Remove 5AP and 8S4 from the FA and CODE (right click the folder and select code) KAFAS2 or FLA3, BDC_BODY, LHM, and TMS. If you don't have the KAFAS2 folder under ECU in ESYS, that means you do not have the KAFAS camera but most likely you have the HBA stand-alone camera below your rear view mirror if you have LED Lighting Package. KAFAS2 folder is usually present in vehicles with Lane Assist Package. If this is the case, you must CODE FLA3 folder instead. For the full description, refer to post #107: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=107. We have discussed the features from post 107-112 (pages 5-6) of this thread. Thank you to @shawnsheridan and @Hang0ver for bringing this to my attention . Bi-Xenon has the capability for HBA (if you have it) and Visual Light Distribution. You can read about this as well in posts 107-112.

Variable Light Distribution: All you have to do is remove 8S4 from your FA, then VO Code BDC_Body. This is for both LED and Bi-Xenon.

UPDATE: So far, this does not allow the Anti-Dazzle portion to work due to Euro cars having different headlights than US cars. Please update if you have gotten the black box/shadow in the center to work for not blinding people as your high beams are on.

Videos of Anti-Dazzle LED Lighting (thank you @CatFlap):
a) https://www.dropbox.com/s/efyfe742hf...D%27s.mp4?dl=0
b) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct88fwnowu...s%202.mp4?dl=0

["
I've coded the anti-dazzle LED lighting on our car and from the initial testing it appears to work. I drove some 2-lane and 4-lane roads the other night and I could definitely see the high-beams on the traffic side of the road dipping to adjust to the oncoming traffic. If there were too many other vehicles or a "bad" angle on a curve, the high beams would temporarily shut off and the blue light on the dash would turn off until the other vehicles were clear. Other than that, the blue high-beam indicator stayed illuminated while the lights were adjusting for oncoming traffic. I still need to test it by seeing what it looks like from the perspective of opposing traffic, so I'll get someone else to drive the car and let me see just what it looks like and how effective it is.

I will say that I did get flashed a couple of times by other cars, but I'm not convinced that it was due to blinding the other vehicles. I think there may be more of a psychological reaction from other drivers who see a vehicle with 4 headlights illuminated and will automatically flash just because they think you forgot the high-beams, regardless of whether they are being inconvenienced. I have already noticed that because the LED head-lights always illuminate all four lights (the upper half on low-beam) that I occasionally get flashed with just the low beams on, even though I can clearly see that the light pattern is low and not even illuminating the passenger compartment of the other vehicles. I'd be willing to bet that drivers in Europe may we more aware of these types of lights and less likely to react the way a driver in the U.S. would. I also bet that cars with bi-xenon lights would be less likely to get flashed since they always use two lights for both high and low-beam.

That said, I don't know if I would recommend that a family member use the feature with the LED's. I think there may be too much risk of setting off some road rage incident from someone who wants to get even with the "jerk in the BMW" who didn't dim their lights.

It is pretty amazing to watch, and a very cool technology, but I'm not sure if it is ready for prime time in the U.S. (or maybe we aren't ready for it). I'll update the post when I have a chance to test it from the other side of the lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #582
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_F15 View Post
I've coded the anti-dazzle LED lighting on our car and from the initial testing it appears to work. I drove some 2-lane and 4-lane roads the other night and I could definitely see the high-beams on the traffic side of the road dipping to adjust to the oncoming traffic. If there were too many other vehicles or a "bad" angle on a curve, the high beams would temporarily shut off and the blue light on the dash would turn off until the other vehicles were clear. Other than that, the blue high-beam indicator stayed illuminated while the lights were adjusting for oncoming traffic. I still need to test it by seeing what it looks like from the perspective of opposing traffic, so I'll get someone else to drive the car and let me see just what it looks like and how effective it is.

I will say that I did get flashed a couple of times by other cars, but I'm not convinced that it was due to blinding the other vehicles. I think there may be more of a psychological reaction from other drivers who see a vehicle with 4 headlights illuminated and will automatically flash just because they think you forgot the high-beams, regardless of whether they are being inconvenienced. I have already noticed that because the LED head-lights always illuminate all four lights (the upper half on low-beam) that I occasionally get flashed with just the low beams on, even though I can clearly see that the light pattern is low and not even illuminating the passenger compartment of the other vehicles. I'd be willing to bet that drivers in Europe may we more aware of these types of lights and less likely to react the way a driver in the U.S. would. I also bet that cars with bi-xenon lights would be less likely to get flashed since they always use two lights for both high and low-beam.

That said, I don't know if I would recommend that a family member use the feature with the LED's. I think there may be too much risk of setting off some road rage incident from someone who wants to get even with the "jerk in the BMW" who didn't dim their lights.

It is pretty amazing to watch, and a very cool technology, but I'm not sure if it is ready for prime time in the U.S. (or maybe we aren't ready for it). I'll update the post when I have a chance to test it from the other side of the lights.
You have completely misunderstood this feature. What you have experienced is auto high beam assistant working with the anti glare for oncoming traffic. The part where this feature is not working correctly is for the traffic/vehicle directly in front of you going in the same direction as you. The anti glare feature is supposed to create a shadow box around the car directly in front of you in order to avoid blinding/glaring them with your high beam. Trust me, it's not working. The anti-glare is only partially working for oncoming traffic, but the main issue we have faced is for the driver directly in front, which there is no solution for at this point. So realistically, this feature is useless if you are driving with regular traffic in front of you. You will be blinding them the whole time with your right high beam.

Last edited by opasha; 11-29-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #583
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Quote:
I am still looking for someone with LEDs that coded (un-decoded) VLD by removing 8S4.

I found this thread and this particular post:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=50

Is this really all it does? Removing 8S4 helps widen the beam to the left. I don't know if I actually want this, because LEDs are already wide as is. I was hoping that it would help make the beam more precise by pointing them down and wide. I understand that this enables left articulation which is not supported with stock lighting (I asked about this in LED question thread and was informed that new vehicles do not turn the beams to the left while stationary).

I will post this in 'fest coding section to see if we can get someone with LEDs to respond.
Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical)"
Yep there's a lot of features you want with VLD coding. Just like Shawn listed, these features vary depending on speed. This is an even more active form of forward lighting.
      11-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #584
2014_F15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X15 35d

Quote:
You have completely misunderstood this feature. What you have experienced is auto high beam assistant working with the anti glare for oncoming traffic. The part where this feature is not working correctly is for the traffic/vehicle directly in front of you going in the same direction as you. The anti glare feature is supposed to create a shadow box around the car directly in front of you in order to avoid blinding/glaring them with your high beam. Trust me, it's not working. The anti-glare is only partially working for oncoming traffic, but the main issue we have faced is for the driver directly in front, which there is no solution for at this point. So realistically, this feature is useless if you are driving with regular traffic in front of you. You will be blinding them the whole time with your right high beam.
Thanks for the info. It is true that I have not tested it with a car directly in front of my car, just the opposing traffic. Glad I didn't too!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #585
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3333
Quote:
Well, worst case I'll code it back out of there if it tingles my OCD senses or bothers me that much.
From what I found so far, there are only 2 items to change in BDC_BODY to code the VLD:

BDC_BODY>3073 LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y>F015_ohne_AFS to F015_mit_AFS
BDC_BODY>3073 C_AFS_ENA>F015_disable to F015_enable

I did this on my 2015 X5 x35i and it worked. Operates just like the videos that I've seen on the forums here.
This gets changed when you VO code BDC_BODY or you can just go In and individually activate these like you did. This feature still isn't working properly in the states. I coded mine exactly the way a guy in London had his factory coded and working. Yet, mine still causes people to high beam me. When I followed my wife she said it was blinding her because it wasn't creating the black shadow box over the car in front as it was designed to do. I'm still thinking this is a hardware issue and I haven't been using on my car. It's not worth blinding Someone and causing a wreck or ticking someone off and getting shot at or causing road rage.
      11-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #586
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Yep there's a lot of features you want with VLD coding. Just like Shawn listed, these features vary depending on speed. This is an even more active form of forward lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_F15 View Post
Thanks for the info. It is true that I have not tested it with a car directly in front of my car, just the opposing traffic. Glad I didn't too!
@2014_F15, you're welcome. It seems many get confused by this coding, so I have removed it from the OP.

@skalberti, I've added the VLD information to the OP instead since that is useful and functional for both LED and Bi-Xenon .
      11-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #587
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3333 View Post
From what I found so far, there are only 2 items to change in BDC_BODY to code the VLD:

BDC_BODY>3073 LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y>F015_ohne_AFS to F015_mit_AFS
BDC_BODY>3073 C_AFS_ENA>F015_disable to F015_enable

I did this on my 2015 X5 x35i and it worked. Operates just like the videos that I've seen on the forums here.
@skalberti, can you verify this? If this really works, that's very convenient. Good find, @mat3333 .
@opasha see my previous post. It doesn't work. I just relocated to Texas so I'm living like a refugee at the moment. I don't even have cable or internet at this moment.

@opasha Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a novice. I think you're ahead of me by a long shot.
      11-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #588
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
@opasha see my previous post. It doesn't work. I just relocated to Texas so I'm living like a refugee at the moment. I don't even have cable or interment at this moment.

@opasha Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a novice. I think you're ahead of me by a long shot.
@skalberti, thank you for letting me know (I just saw that post)! Actually, correction. He was just referring to VLD only. You corrected him on Anti-Glare, which he didn't mention and we know does not work. So, does that coding above work 100% to allow VLD for the low beams? That is what he was telling us only I believe.

Regarding your move, I'm sure that must be tough. Hope you get settled soon, buddy!

Haha, and you're too humble, my friend. You and Shawn were coding long before I entered the scene. I wouldn't be able to understand/know majority of what I do without you guys. So, thank you for being a big help/asset to this community .
      11-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #589
mat3333
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Opasha, you are correct that I was only referring to VLD, not the Anti-Glare. From reading all the information on the Anti-Glare here, it appears that it doesn't work due to hardware as you and Skalbert mention.

Just another way to enable the VLD without VO coding for those that already have a bunch of coding done
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #590
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@mat3333, it would be better to VO code it as it won't be affected with new firmware upgrade or dealer reset, unlike the FDL coding.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #591
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

well i a bit confuse now, @opasha when you fa code my x5, you said to me that i have europe headlights, and i see that my led headlights move but how can i know if i have VDL or just Anti glare sistem, because there is to much lights and trafic in my highway and can not see The anti glare feature that supposed to create a shadow box around the car directly in front of me.

so i read that the VLD or anti have a lot of funtions like shawn explain, how can i now if i have VLD or anti-glare working on my x5 with the car in parking?

i see there are 3 systems

VLD
Anti glare
high beam asistence right?

and i suspect that i have the 3 of them but can really see the diference because the iluminated highway, need to find a dark road.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #592
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
well i a bit confuse now, @opasha when you fa code my x5, you said to me that i have europe headlights, and i see that my led headlights move but how can i know if i have VDL or just Anti glare sistem, because there is to much lights and trafic in my highway and can not see The anti glare feature that supposed to create a shadow box around the car directly in front of me.

so i read that the VLD or anti have a lot of funtions like shawn explain, how can i now if i have VLD or anti-glare working on my x5 with the car in parking?

i see there are 3 systems

VLD
Anti glare
high beam asistence right?

and i suspect that i have the 3 of them but can really see the diference because the iluminated highway, need to find a dark road.
You have all 3 because I checked your factory FA settings and you had 5AC (high beam assistant) present and 5AP and 8S4 removed ( anti-glare and VLD enabled). You won't notice this in bright city lighting because they are very sensitive to lighting. Anti-glare won't work if you have your fogs on or driving in bright light areas.
      11-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #593
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
You have all 3 because I checked your factory FA settings and you had 5AC (high beam assistant) present and 5AP and 8S4 removed ( anti-glare and VLD enabled). You won't notice this in bright city lighting because they are very sensitive to lighting. Anti-glare won't work if you have your fogs on or driving in bright light areas.
ok opasha i will try to find a dark road and test this systems.

this is what my leds look like.

Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fil28dtdijshxox/Video%2029-11-14%2019%2056%2035.mov?dl=0
does this moves of the headlights are normal?
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #594
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
ok opasha i will try to find a dark road and test this systems.

this is what my leds look like.

Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fil28dtdijshxox/Video%2029-11-14%2019%2056%2035.mov?dl=0
does this moves of the headlights are normal?
You have 100% perfectly working VLD . That's exactly what my Bi-Xenons do now with VLD enabled. When in low beam mode, they spread wide and then come together (standard feature) when you go to high beam mode as you clearly showed in your video. I will make a video soon when I get my car back to show the exact same motion. Another great test is to show how quickly they turn with your steering wheel as you are driving in dark roads. The best and only way to test your Anti-Glare is to have your spouse or friend drive in front of you and then go from low beam to high beam with fogs off. When this is done, there will be no interference to automatically shut off the Anti-Glare feature. You will then see those high beams that converged together (spreading apart to go around the car in front of you creating a shadow box to prevent from blinding them).