BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #177
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

There are some great stories where it didn’t end so well. It only takes that one time for it not to hold, and it’s crushed along the road. Possibly damaging other vehicles and insurance claims.
Proceed with caution.
      05-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #178
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
I used Betalink K1 on the Rear Diffuser and K2 on the Front Splitter. Tight and flush to OEM spec.

If you don't want to deal with buying the K2 applicator ($$$$), you could honestly stick with K1 for the front; it's a longer bonding time but just as strong.
      05-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #179
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
I used Betalink K1 on the Rear Diffuser and K2 on the Front Splitter. Tight and flush to OEM spec.

If you don't want to deal with buying the K2 applicator ($$$$), you could honestly stick with K1 for the front; it's a longer bonding time but just as strong.
SO whats the disadvantage of using BetaLink that it makes the mod permanent ? For me I don't care I plan to leave the Front spoiler on the car permanently.
How much should I look to pay a dealer to do this install if I decide not to tackle it myself?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #180
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
Quote:

SO whats the disadvantage of using BetaLink that it makes the mod permanent ? For me I don't care I plan to leave the Front spoiler on the car permanently.
How much should I look to pay a dealer to do this install if I decide not to tackle it myself?
I'm pretty sure betalink is pretty much a permanent install. The 3m tapes are strong, but you can still remove with effort if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      05-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #181
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Also you should for sure install yourself, save your money it's honestly not hard. If someone like me can figure it out, most people should be A ok lol
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      05-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #182
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Well you will also have to deal with the holes you drilled through the bumpers, so IMHO this is really a permanent install. That said I'd opt for doing it right per OEM spec.
      05-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #183
HJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 CLS63 S

F15/F16 M perf lips seem different than other lips with the huge gap of nothing in the middle which with all that down force will eventually make the front of the lip gap if put on with just tape. Ive reinstalled my lip 3 times at shops using everything from 3m vhb,3m automotive and gorilla tape prepping it well sanding it down using 3m adhesion promoter but each and everytime after a few weeks of highway driving the front starts to gap little by little which then my ocd kicks in. I eventually had it betalinked at the dealer and after a month it's rock hard with no gaps now I don't have to check my lip everytime I get in and out of my car..
Appreciate 3
Russmov1328.00
DenBel232.00
      05-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #184
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I think for this type of install, if it's something you really want, go the permanent route. Drill the holes, load it up with your favourite automotive adhesive and call it a day. If you don't want to make that kind of commitment, especially driving highway speeds and higher, don't bother. While some may get away with tape only, it's just not worth it.
Appreciate 2
HJ478.00
DenBel232.00
      05-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #185
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Just wanted to see how those with OEM lips VHP or 3M tape (no betalink)is holding up for the front lip/spoiler? I just received my OEM lip and debating betalink vs 3m Tape. How hard is the install to do myself? looks pretty straight forward based on the pictures and instructions.
Yes heard many horror stories about 3M tape not holding. But if you use it correctly it works. My front, I use only 3M VHB Tape and supplied screws on the bottom. No Beta Link or drilling to attach the bracket. Had it on for a year now during 80 mph commuting and snow driving and solid as a rock. You just have to use the 3M tape in the correct areas. The rear diffuser, you have to use screws to hold the bracket in. No way around that unfortunately. The part marked in red is where the 3m VHB tape should go. Use lots of tape around the corners. After you finish the install you would need to tape the outside of the splitter to hold it in place so it can bond properly. Especially the corners. They tend to lift if no external tape is applied. I use Gaffers tape for that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #186
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Proper preparation is crucial with using the 3M tape method. Sanding the back side of the carbon, wiping down the areas with alcohol to remove any wax/oils and heating up the tape before application is very important. Also if you are pulling it on and off over and over again to try to get the fitment perfect at some point you will just have to use fresh tape because everytime you pull it off you are weakening the adhesive.

No question betalink is stronger but it is nearly impossible to remove and if you don't apply enough of it the lip can still come off. I know someone that had this happen using betalink.
      05-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #187
dieter09
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 LCI 50e/M3 G81 Touring

Some questions about the Betalink.

In the DIY they say you have to sand down the spoiler parts before putting
betalink on it.

But do you have to sand down the car also?
(the parts where you will glue the spoiler on to?)

And betalink is just like normal glue?
You put it on, press the parts on, and leave it to dry 24h?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #188
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
Quote:
Just wanted to see how those with OEM lips VHP or 3M tape (no betalink)is holding up for the front lip/spoiler? I just received my OEM lip and debating betalink vs 3m Tape. How hard is the install to do myself? looks pretty straight forward based on the pictures and instructions.
Yes heard many horror stories about 3M tape not holding. But if you use it correctly it works. My front, I use only 3M VHB Tape and supplied screws on the bottom. No Beta Link or drilling to attach the bracket. Had it on for a year now during 80 mph commuting and snow driving and solid as a rock. You just have to use the 3M tape in the correct areas. The rear diffuser, you have to use screws to hold the bracket in. No way around that unfortunately. The part marked in red is where the 3m VHB tape should go. Use lots of tape around the corners. After you finish the install you would need to tape the outside of the splitter to hold it in place so it can bond properly. Especially the corners. They tend to lift if no external tape is applied. I use Gaffers tape for that.
I 2nd this. I also went with no drilling on the brackets and used 3m tape with adhesion promoter. My car is driven over 80mph daily and never had problems for the last 4 months. However, make sure you tighten up the existing screws under the splitter monthly, they tend to loosen up after some time.

I went with 3m bc sooner of later it's going to get damaged, I want the option to go back to stock easily if needed to.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #189
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Proper preparation is crucial with using the 3M tape method. Sanding the back side of the carbon, wiping down the areas with alcohol to remove any wax/oils and heating up the tape before application is very important. Also if you are pulling it on and off over and over again to try to get the fitment perfect at some point you will just have to use fresh tape because everytime you pull it off you are weakening the adhesive.

No question betalink is stronger but it is nearly impossible to remove and if you don't apply enough of it the lip can still come off. I know someone that had this happen using betalink.
Proper surface preparation is important no matter which method is used. 😉
You are also 100% correct on replacing the tape if you are taking it off and on repeatedly for proper positioning.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #190
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Had a question about the front lip/spoiler. I ordered the OEM front lip from BMW dealership up north via eBay. I received the first lip and it had what looked to be like a crease on the outside of the lip on the passenger side.
See attached pictures. I contacted the dealership and they have been very nice to replace the lip. I received the 2nd lip and finding it has the exact same mark as the other one. Is this normal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #191
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Had a question about the front lip/spoiler. I ordered the OEM front lip from BMW dealership up north via eBay. I received the first lip and it had what looked to be like a crease on the outside of the lip on the passenger side.
See attached pictures. I contacted the dealership and they have been very nice to replace the lip. I received the 2nd lip and finding it has the exact same mark as the other one. Is this normal?
That is a crack, not a crease! Definitely not normal. It was probably damaged during shipping. My first one was damaged, too. They are large, fairly delicate parts that are not shipped or handled with the care they require.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #192
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Definitely not normal. Make sure they send you another replacement, and maybe some money back too for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #193
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
That is a crack, not a crease! Definitely not normal. It was probably damaged during shipping. My first one was damaged, too. They are large, fairly delicate parts that are not shipped or handled with the care they require.
Just finding it strange that the 2nd one has a crack in almost the exact same spot. Here are some pictures of the 2nd one very bizarre.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #194
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Just finding it strange that the 2nd one has a crack in almost the exact same spot. Here are some pictures of the 2nd one very bizarre.
Did the boxes have any damage on them? Maybe they were cracked in the warehouse before they were even shipped.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #195
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Did the boxes have any damage on them? Maybe they were cracked in the warehouse before they were even shipped.
Yeah I sent them a message to check to see if all of them are like that. I guess we will see.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #196
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I sent them a message to check to see if all of them are like that. I guess we will see.
Yeah it seems very likely that they were damaged at the warehouse. Especially if they are damaged in the same area. Think it would be a fluke to have the shipping company damage 2 in the same spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #197
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it seems very likely that they were damaged at the warehouse. Especially if they are damaged in the same area. Think it would be a fluke to have the shipping company damage 2 in the same spot.
Are there better pictures or instructions on how to align the L brackets (Z holder) ?
I got the bracket on but can't seem to get the Z bracket aligned so it lines up with the hole in the spoiler bottom.

Updated: I think I got it I will upload a better angle of it for others. Would have been nice if the parts are labeled L and R would make install faster.
Attached Images

Last edited by PanthersFX; 06-21-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #198
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Are there better pictures or instructions on how to align the L brackets (Z holder) ?
I got the bracket on but can't seem to get the Z bracket aligned so it lines up with the hole in the spoiler bottom.

The uploaded picture seems to work but just doesn't look right. am assuming the silver piece goes down to connect to the spoiler.
Wish I could help with that, I didn't have one of those brackets for my splitter. I made my own bracket to give more support. Sorry bro
Appreciate 0