BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Turbodog72
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive40e

What would you do? 40e w/major errors

Cliff Notes Version - Bought an X5 xDrive 40e - It has an electrical problem that BMW wants to fix with ECU swap as first attempt (20+days). Dealer convinced BMWNA to do a buy back with a 4-6 week delivery time. What is your next move if it were you?

Long Version - I am in the position of having paid full MSRP on the X5 xDrive 40e and put in my order in the first days of August 1-5? I called BMWNA and they received the order September 1st.

I took delivery on Friday September 25th. One of the first cars to hit the road. Drove the car less than 10 miles and I received a "Recharging Malfunction, pull over when it is safe and call your nearest BMW Service Center"

The X5 xDrive40e is still working and and then the X5 xDrive40e will not accelerate and I keep pushing the pedal to the floor. Still nothing, so I give it a tap back to the floor and the 4 cylinder turns on and the car jumps a bit and accelerates again.

5 Min later, I make it home and park the car. 2 hours later the car alarm is going off and I can't do anything about it, much less unlock the car door. Nothing but alarm then quite, then alarm again. Finally I can open the car but it is dead (safety mode?). Called BMW Roadside and back to the dealer in less than 5 hours.

On Saturday I received an X5 base diesel for a loaner. They are keeping the X5 xDrive40e till Monday, so a Corporate Tech or something checks it out. A qualified tech made it in on Saturday and they simply replaced the car battery. They receive another error that has the words HIGH-VOLTAGE in it somewhere (sales person told me this). BMW corp guy looks at quality of work and now to try to fix the issue the BMW dealer or Corp tech ordered an ECU replacement from Germany and it takes 20+days to arrive.

Once hearing this news, the GM at Morristown BMW took it upon himself to call BMWNA and tells me that he spent his morning going up three levels but managed to get them to do a buy back and I can get a new car if I want. Four - Six weeks I will get a new car with the exact specs or if I want to upgrade then I can at my own expense.

What would be your next move?

Let me know if you need any more info that I left out in the sake of time?

I will tell you my next move after a bit. That was a long story and need to rest the fingers...thanks for sticking in.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I was once a "beta tester" for BMW's new M-DCT gearbox on the E92 M3. One of the first cars to roll off the production line with that gearbox. It started off OK, but then BMW started fiddling with it via software upgrades to the point where the gearbox became a bit of a death trap ... long story.

Basically, for me I decided I would never beta test BMWs products again, and only use them after they had being out in the field with customers for at least 1 to 2 years.

Some people like being a tester ... and prepared to try things out. But I got tired of that quickly.

The point I'm making is ... its quite likely you're be a beta tester with any new product released.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

return car and get new one....40e might be a risk at this point again IMO. diesel or 35i it it were me
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I was once a "beta tester" for BMW's new M-DCT gearbox on the E92 M3. One of the first cars to roll off the production line with that gearbox. It started off OK, but then BMW started fiddling with it via software upgrades to the point where the gearbox became a bit of a death trap ... long story.

Basically, for me I decided I would never beta test BMWs products again, and only use them after they had being out in the field with customers for at least 1 to 2 years.

Some people like being a tester ... and prepared to try things out. But I got tired of that quickly.

The point I'm making is ... its quite likely you're be a beta tester with any new product released.
+1.. I have always said that it would be unwise to purchase the first model year of any car.
      09-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Uh oh, i guess it won't be my next car.
My suggestion, unless if you have plenty of time and patience to deal with the car, get a gas engine.
I had issues with my ActiveHybrid5 from day one and after 6 months, I got tired from going back and forth the dealership to get the car fixed. So, I contacted BMWNA and they bought the car back.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Is the idea of having a 40e so exciting that you'd be willing to go through the same ordeal again?
It's not like you drove the car for a month and the kinks started to reveal themselves. You made it 10 miles!

"The X5 xDrive40e is still working and and then the X5 xDrive40e will not accelerate and I keep pushing the pedal to the floor"
That line sounds like you were lucky to be in a place where not being able to accelerate didn't put you in instant danger.

Just take it as a lesson. Get a 35i or 50i. Love the car. Buy a hybrid when BMW has had more experience with hybrids.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

+1

even if they fix it you'll always be wondering if/when it is going to strand you
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

i'd get a 35i or 35d to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

At the very least, I would take them up on a new vehicle and let someone else deal with the problems with your car. Or, as others have suggested, is really consider going with a a different X5 model
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Turbodog72
Rep

What I ended up doing

Well, thanks for all of your responses. It was pretty much one-sided to get another X5, but I have a X5 '15 base diesel as a loaner now and it doesn't feel like a new hi-tech toy to me.

I have never owned a diesel and the diesel or the M version X5 would have been my first choice until I heard about the Hybrid.

I decided to take the new 40e build and wait 3-4 weeks for the car. I am trying to get the dealer to credit me some of the full profit they received, but the GM thinks that he already did me a the favor of the quick buy back.

My thinking is that they didn't give me what I wanted on the trade-in. They can't deliver a working car until November 1st. So they should credit me something off of the Tire and Wheel warranty or something?

What would you ask the dealer for if it were you?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodog72
Well, thanks for all of your responses. It was pretty much one-sided to get another X5, but I have a X5 '15 base diesel as a loaner now and it doesn't feel like a new hi-tech toy to me.

I have never owned a diesel and the diesel or the M version X5 would have been my first choice until I heard about the Hybrid.

I decided to take the new 40e build and wait 3-4 weeks for the car. I am trying to get the dealer to credit me some of the full profit they received, but the GM thinks that he already did me a the favor of the quick buy back.

My thinking is that they didn't give me what I wanted on the trade-in. They can't deliver a working car until November 1st. So they should credit me something off of the Tire and Wheel warranty or something?

What would you ask the dealer for if it were you?
I'm not sure why you think the dealer should give up anything. They don't make the car and the GM was clearly looking out for your best interest by proactively seeking a buy back

To ask for more from the dealer, who is essentially a middleman, looks a bit greedy to me
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Turbodog72
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I'm not sure why you think the dealer should give up anything. They don't make the car and the GM was clearly looking out for your best interest by proactively seeking a buy back

To ask for more from the dealer, who is essentially a middleman, looks a bit greedy to me
Thanks for your opinion. This was the kind of feedback I was looking for.

You are right that the dealer doesn't build the car, but BMW NA and the dealer are providing a Car and a service experience. Defects cause everyone to have pain and everyone should feel the pain.

I just think that when a BMW dealer is making full MSRP on the car and a heafty profit on the trade-in, then they should also feel a bit of pain for not getting me what I already paid for. If they could give me a 40e or something equal in cost and performance to drive as a loaner, then the $80,000 I paid for a new car then, I would agree with you.

But the pain I will feel is driving a base X5 diesel for an extra 3-4 weeks (on top of waiting for 2 months with no car) while paying my monthly notes. BMWNA is not going to pay anymore because the buy back will be upwards of a $20,000 loss.

If I were the dealer GM, I would make some kind of discount (minimum $500 or a bit higher - profit from the wheel and tire would be a good place to start), to prove to the customer that we are THE dealer that they should buy from in the future (wife will purchase an i8 vert in the future if we like the 40e).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

^ No personal offensive, but I also have the impression its being greedy. Writing "But the pain I will feel is driving a base X5 diesel for an extra 3-4 weeks (on top of waiting for 2 months with no car) while paying my monthly notes." ... is a bit embarrassing really. Its 3-4 weeks. You have a X5 to drive around in. I have the impression they have taken good care of you, and getting you a new car in 3 or so weeks. I'm sure the new car will get a priority build and probably additional tests done post production.

If this had being going on months, and they were still trying to figure out whats wrong ... that's a different matter entirely.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
Turbodog72
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
^ No personal offensive, but I also have the impression its being greedy. Writing "But the pain I will feel is driving a base X5 diesel for an extra 3-4 weeks (on top of waiting for 2 months with no car) while paying my monthly notes." ... is a bit embarrassing really. Its 3-4 weeks. You have a X5 to drive around in. I have the impression they have taken good care of you, and getting you a new car in 3 or so weeks. I'm sure the new car will get a priority build and probably additional tests done post production.

If this had being going on months, and they were still trying to figure out whats wrong ... that's a different matter entirely.
Thanks for your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have to agree. Seems very fair and was a quick buyback by bmw thanks to your GM. A base diesel is still a luxury suv...
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0