BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
wmahmud
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

2016 - BMW X5d (F15) - Diesel Smell Dilemma & Update (Toronto)

Long story short, purchased CPO 2016 BMW X5d in late December 2020, from dealership, 67,000KM

Last 2 weeks, smell of diesel in cabin when idling or running air circulation has gotten stronger, as you drive it would go away, but at a stop, you start to smell it again

I only been using Shell Top Tier Diesel fuel FYI since I got it

I took it to BMW yesterday (now at 70,xxx KM) since I got it (6 weeks, and 3000KM) with CPO Powertrain Warranty

They looked at issue - found the Valve Cover cracked, covered under CPO, no issues, being worked on as we speak - said this was the cause of the smell

EGR cooler was inspected - no leak (no leak when inspected in 2019) so they won't even talk about the recall (fair enough)

While there, he says they checked for codes (given I have no CEL on) and mentioned the following -

1. Code for Injector #5 - shown up 4 times, but no CEL on - says could come on any day
2. Code for Carbon Test Plan - Failed - mentioning to do a walnut blast and do a clean (no visual inspection done by removing the intake manifold)

Now I need a few thoughts - as both 1/2 are not covered under my CPO (unless someone says they should be)

1. Should I try to email BMW canada about my situation, recent purcahse, and given its CPO that this should have been looked at and found at the time of purchase and hence fixed by them at their cost?
2. Should I keep driving till CEL comes on for something and then address?
3. Is the carbon buildup thing just a tactic because the car is in - because I kept ask "how severe" and he wouldn't answer, he just said, car is in, code showed as failed, makes sense to do it all one time - now is it just minimal? should I just run some additive ? should I go get it done independently?

My goal is to keep the vehicle long term - but not pay dealership pricing (BMW)
Injector #5 - $1700
Walnut Blast/Clean - $2800

I would love to get thoughts here - thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

US is different but in my case EGR cooler and intake manifold were replaced just because of the buildup, no questions asked even they found no leak. 6 months later the replacement EGR cooler started leaking, they replaced again, did the coolant system test and found leaking radiator, replaced for free as a goodwill from BMW (my warranty and CPO expired 2 years ago). I've seen a lot of negative comments about BMW Canada so your experience might be different but in US and California specifically EGR,DPF and smog related items all covered by extended warranty. May be try to get a second opinion from different dealership? Injectors are not covered by CPO?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #3
quandary
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

This is what I'd do.

Since they cleared the codes, drive around and see if the code comes back. The 4 year standard warranty is expired so you should look at the documentation of any additional warranty that might be provided when you bought the used car. It should come back relatively quickly if it really is a problem.

The CBU is a function of a few things: diesel, oil, EGR and DPF. If it still drives well, consider deleting EGR to reduce any buildup moving forward. This is up to you, so read on the pros and cons in the forum. (Get the stage 1 tune too, you're X5 will be alot more fun to drive.) It's also possible that the vehicle has only had short trips which might not allow enough heat in the DPF to burn off carbon in the exhaust; a backed up dpf will create carbon buildup. You can go for a long drive or if you have the software and ODB connector, you can manually force "regeneration" which takes 45 minutes. It's also possible the proper oil has not been used or not changed regularly; if you're keeping the EGR, make sure it has the right certifications BMW LL-04 and change the oil every 15k vigilantly. Wait for any codes to come up, since the damage is already done if CBU is real. You cannot clean it with additives, only walnut blast and/ replacing parts.

I have 160k without CBU, live in your area, and have only used shell premium diesel. It's also possible the previous owner sold the X5 because of these problems (but there's not much you can do now).
Appreciate 0