BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2023, 07:13 PM   #133
kanchis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335D 11'; F15 X5 35i 16'

Quick update on the repair

So I figured I'd keep the post updated so it saves someone else time in the future... Here are the tests/steps I did.

1. Used the new Amazon bought pump (which came with the valve block, solenoid, housing (metal black part), and the relay. The pump came back on for a split second and stopped. I tried to reset it by removing and plugging back in the fuse but no luck. I also kept getting a chassis malfunction error on the iDrive. This tells me the car didn't like the new pump. There must be some way to reset the computer through ISTA, which I don't have...so I can't go further with this new pump.

2. Swapped the entire Solenoid (NOT just the metal rod) with the OEM pump and tried. The pump turns on for a split second. Same result as step 1.

3. Swapped just the Solenoid metal rod like OP had suggested. It works!

The OEM solenoid metal rod fits to the solenoid (the black part) really snugly. You need pliers to take it out, compared to the Amazon one, which literally falls out if you flip it. I have no idea what the original /properly working one should do. Should the metal rod inside the solenoid valve have resistance or be buttery smooth?

I know my repair is probably not going to last long as the solenoid itself is probably corroded inside with the condensation. I'm going to replace the pump and the bags with OEM ones soon. I talked to the dealer and I'm in the works of trying to make a deal. It's a hefty price but I think It'll last a while. My car only has 60K miles for 8 years so it's not heavily driven for it to fail that quickly, it's what it is I guess. When I get the OEM pump I'll remove the solenoid and let you guys know how a working solenoid should be with the metal rod part.
      11-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #134
aschmidt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Saga continues, 2017 f15, also noticed that right side was sagging periodically when I park car unevenly, saw those cracks,

So far so good after replacing both.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:30 PM   #135
aschmidt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str84ward View Post
Can someone point me towards ISTA D install so many moody and broken links.
PM me, I'll send you a link to 4.32 which I used, just make sure you do vehicle identification without test so that ISTA-D shows you an option to deflate/inflate bags.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #136
kanchis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335D 11'; F15 X5 35i 16'

Repair continued...

Finally got the car to stay up for more than a week! Ultimately I think the problem was the airbags themselves. I replaced them with the ARNOT ones. Replaced the pump with an aftermarket one for $300. The total cost of the repair was ~$650.

I didn't go for the OEM pump as the cheapest I could find was around $1100 bucks and I know that the pump is fine, so basically I'm paying this exuberant amount for a glorified solenoid. Not going to happen! Wish WABCO would sell the solenoid by itself, but they don't. the only option was aftermarket Chinese solenoids that were available on eBay.

The lesson learned was that this system should be part of your routine maintenance like replacing brake rotors and pads. BMW surely knows that the pump/solenoid is diffective as I see this issue being wide spread across all of their vehicles that use air suspension.

The hardest part of the repair was to get the old air bag out and to put the new one in as the gap to sqeeze it in was not large enough for some reason with my car. I had to push the stutt down hard as I can so it created just enough space for a second person to try and wiggle it in. I have no idea why the strutt wouldnt come down I thought about removing the one bolt that the strutt is being held by to give more space, but eventually didnt go that route.

Since I've done this many times now I'd be happy to help out any forum members having similar issues with their air suspension in the Atlanta area.

Link to parts used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098JWRCL7...roduct_details
Be aware that the aftermarket pumps electrical connector was a lot tighter to lock into place. First time I plugged it in I didnt go all the way till I heard the "Click" as I was afraid of breaking the plastic connector. The pump turned on for a split second only. Then I used more force on the connector real carefully till I heard it click into place. This seems to have done the job.

https://www.autozone.com/parts/suspe...air+suspension

Last edited by kanchis; 12-01-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0