11-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #23
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Kay View Post
how about wrapping it with some wire to hold it in shape - so it can stay in that candy cane shape. I think I'll give that a go and report back
You may be on to something. One thought I had was feeding a wire coat hanger into the plastic flexible tubing. Then form a candy cane shape before inserting into the fill hole. That would help to add and maintain the hook shape and would not impede the flow of oil during the extraction.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #24
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Andy_Kay
I've got some pic inside the TC, hope this helps.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=161

You would have to find a way to snake the pipe back away from the fill plug towards the other side.
Appreciate 2
Clifton221.50
      11-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #25
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
You may be on to something. One thought I had was feeding a wire coat hanger into the plastic flexible tubing. Then form a candy cane shape before inserting into the fill hole. That would help to add and maintain the hook shape and would not impede the flow of oil during the extraction.
I used this pump with a 8 in piece of brake line, bent into a candy can shape. Insert the brake line into the end of the tube and it works perfectly.

Performance Tool W54173 200cc Extraction & Fill Pump
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #26
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Ordered new cabin air filters, front and rear diff fluid w/ new drain/fill bolts, and Transfer case fluid from FCP Auto. It just arrived and I realized I'm an idiot and didn't order a new replacement drain/fill plug for the transfer case. Is it a huge deal to reuse the stock plug? I hate to postpone my service another week while I wait for the new plug, but will if necessary. What you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #27
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Is it a huge deal to reuse the stock plug? I hate to postpone my service another week while I wait for the new plug, but will if necessary. What you guys think?
I don’t think it will hurt. You *might* get some weep, but if you order the fill plug and then swap out later, I’m not sure I’d worry. The plug can be swapped pretty quickly if you have correct tool.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #28
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ordered new cabin air filters, front and rear diff fluid w/ new drain/fill bolts, and Transfer case fluid from FCP Auto. It just arrived and I realized I'm an idiot and didn't order a new replacement drain/fill plug for the transfer case. Is it a huge deal to reuse the stock plug? I hate to postpone my service another week while I wait for the new plug, but will if necessary. What you guys think?
The diff and TC plugs are all identical. Put the new plug into the TC and re-use the fill plug on the rear diff. It easier to get to the rear diff fill plugs then the TC, imho.

BTW, don't forget. If you are dropping the reinforcement plate for the front diff. That plate needs new bolts.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #29
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
The diff and TC plugs are all identical. Put the new plug into the TC and re-use the fill plug on the rear diff. It easier to get to the rear diff fill plugs then the TC, imho.

BTW, don't forget. If you are dropping the reinforcement plate for the front diff. That plate needs new bolts.
Good deal, I wasn't sure if they were the same. I've found a few drops of fluid towards the rear of the vehicle on the garage floor lately. Not sure if it's from the TC or rear diff. With that being said I'll prob use the 2 new plugs on the TC and rear diff and reused plug on the front diff. I won't be dropping the reinforcement plate. Appreciate the insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

The Front diff seems to be the hardest to get to and diagnose leaks. I would say put new plugs in that. If the TC is leaking that would be inline with the center of the front doors.

Please let me know how you manage to do the Front Diff without dropping the reinforcement place. All guides and people doing it, seem to have done it.

I am yet to attempt it as I haven't bothered to buy the bolts for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #31
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
The Front diff seems to be the hardest to get to and diagnose leaks. I would say put new plugs in that. If the TC is leaking that would be inline with the center of the front doors.

Please let me know how you manage to do the Front Diff without dropping the reinforcement place. All guides and people doing it, seem to have done it.

I thought the TC was a bit more toward the rear of the car. So going off what you're saying it must be my rear diff that has the slight leak. I'll investigate more. I'm having a local shop do the front & rear diff and TC fluid change. I'll recalibrate the TC using ISTA software. You referenced the reinforcement plate and I misunderstood. My mind went to the subframe that's a tight squeeze between the TC. So you have to replace the bolts on the reinforcement plate? I def didn't purchase new ones
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:44 AM   #32
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

The TC is directly behind the gearbox somewhere near the middle of the front doors. It can be done without loosening/removing the crossmember if you have short sockets/allen keys, or Tite-Reach extension(or the Strap-On version), or do some custom tooling and cut some sockets (me).

Tite-reach
https://tite-reach.com/products/3-8-...tension-wrench

My TC Post (just FYI, this thread has talks on oil types. Most do not correlate to a F15/F16)
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post28214462

The front reinforcement plat is the silver plat that is under the engine sump. The thing you poke your hand through the get oil filter.

Has a nice view of it missing and the guy pointing at the front diff, in 5th pic
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1874581

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1173
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #33
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
The TC is directly behind the gearbox somewhere near the middle of the front doors. It can be done without loosening/removing the crossmember if you have short sockets/allen keys, or Tite-Reach extension(or the Strap-On version), or do some custom tooling and cut some sockets (me).

Tite-reach
https://tite-reach.com/products/3-8-...tension-wrench

My TC Post (just FYI, this thread has talks on oil types. Most do not correlate to a F15/F16)
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post28214462

The front reinforcement plat is the silver plat that is under the engine sump. The thing you poke your hand through the get oil filter.

Has a nice view of it missing and the guy pointing at the front diff, in 5th pic
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1874581

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1173
So pertaining to the bold up above. Does the front diff have both a drain and fill plug in the f15? Not sure if it's any different in F85?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #34
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Yep, your front diff will have a drain and a fill plug.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #35
ConvertX
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E90 328

Suction Tube Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstar View Post
Redline specs their 75W GL-4 for BMW F15 transfer case fluid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Kay View Post
Thanks for this DIY guide. I'm planning on doing mine soon. I'm stuck on sourcing a syringe for extracting the old oil.
I was thinking about the flexible clear plastic pipe that comes with most of those oil extractor syringe things - how about wrapping it with some wire to hold it in shape - so it can stay in that candy cane shape. I think I'll give that a go and report back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
I used this pump with a 8 in piece of brake line, bent into a candy can shape. Insert the brake line into the end of the tube and it works perfectly.

Performance Tool W54173 200cc Extraction & Fill Pump

In case it helps anyone, I discovered that the ubiquitous plastic tubing that comes with syphon pumps/syringes can be permanently bent by very carefully using a lighter to "reform" the material downward. Keep the heat on it from about 3" until you reach the desired angle. If it stays heated too long it will eventually bend enough to close off the tube so be careful.

HomeDepot also sells clear vinyl tubing which can be custom cut and formed for various jobs without ruining the tubes included with pumps. This is how I made my "transfer case oil tool". Theoretically a heat gun would also work.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #36
ConvertX
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E90 328

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstar View Post
Redline specs their 75W GL-4 for BMW F15 transfer case fluid.
Have had this fluid in my F15 for about a year with no clutch wear according to the ISTA+ calibration procedure (offset angles remained the same).

That said, it's clear from a UOA that the BMW transfer case fluid (TF-0870) is very different than MT-LV. The Redline fluid will undoubtedly reduce metal component wear compared to OEM fluid, but it is also possible the high anti-wear additive content could interfere with proper clutch operation or cause glazing (permanent damage).

Motul lists their DCTF as compatible- which in theory is closer to the transfer case in design than the manual transmissions Redline MT-LV was designed for. Ravenol also makes a true synthetic TF-0870 specifically for transfer case use.

In my next drain and fill I've decided to go with the Ravenol fluid due to the above concerns about clutch compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #37
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
As long as I can get this 14mm socket up in there, looks like this will work great.

Start with open end 14mm, hex is fully inserted with 1-2mm to spare. Break it loose. Then insert the 14mm hex through the 14mm ratcheting end (still 80-90% of the way in), and back the bolt out until you can just use your fingers to remove it.
Would like to report that this approach worked perfectly, using these tools that many of us already have. It was easy to navigate the socket + wrench into the space, and I used a small screwdriver pressed against the back of the socket to help get it in place. Once I put a little pressure on it, it held in place for me to give it a few whacks with the mallet to break it loose. Used fingers to remove it the rest of the way.

Last edited by JamesInSJ; 12-06-2021 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #38
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:

FYI, FCP Euro just did a DIY on the front diff. Dropped the reinforcement plate and didn't appear to replaced the bolts.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #39
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

No idea. He did do them up as stretch bolts tho. Maybe just an oversight?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #40
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Could be, just bringing it to your attention since your post above.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #41
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Quote:
Could be, just bringing it to your attention since your post above.
I only do 45deg as a final rotation - works for me. Manual says replace them. There's no way I am gonna pop for new bolts every time that stiffener comes off the vehicle! Most of us do not print money.
Appreciate 1
Cbozz688.50
      12-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #42
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
I only do 45deg as a final rotation - works for me. Manual says replace them. There's no way I am gonna pop for new bolts every time that stiffener comes off the vehicle! Most of us do not print money.
I thought a full 90 def after was a little much. Appreciate the reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #43
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
I do the same thing with the reinforcement plate bolts on my E53. Had it on and off at least 10 times now. Will take the same approach to the F15 when I do the front/rear diff fluids.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #44
jluzbet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F15 X5, E93 335

at 110K, never changed it would it be a bad idea?
Appreciate 0