BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #23
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

LOL I'm glad you guys are enjoying this little toy build! I'm having a blast putting it together too. Once my boy is walking, I'm gonna put him to work to clean and help maintain it. LOL

As far as curbing the rims... too soon guys! Too soon!

For the reflectors, yeah it's awesome that they are already colored. One less thing to paint. For the fogs, I used the VHT tint spray to darken them up but I may have gotten a little too overzealous with the spray since the one little LED behind it could barely be seen now. I was going to look at some brighter LEDs to install where the fogs are maybe down the road so that it can shine through the tint. But for now, one less blinking piece on the car is kind of nice.

And yes! I need to figure out how to do a drop on this thing after I get the cosmetics done! I literally stared at the front axle and steering components yesterday for an hour last night trying to see what I could do to lower it. From what I can see, I can do a 1" drop just by cutting the frame tube that's holding the the axle/steering component but I need 1.5" for the front and 1.75" in the back at least to get rid of the gap.

Maybe I need to bring it to Ben @ RGS do a custom coilover suspension for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Forget the drop then, too complicated when you have to cut a structural safety piece and all that jazz...

How about throwing some spacers on the rears to get DAT STANCE
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #25
Nkbm82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i

What an awesome dad!!! Looks so much better than stock!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #26
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Forget the drop then, too complicated when you have to cut a structural safety piece and all that jazz...

How about throwing some spacers on the rears to get DAT STANCE
I will find a way (even if I have to go to a place to weld some stuff up LOL).

If these guys can do it to an X6 I should be able to do it too...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      03-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
I will find a way (even if I have to go to a place to weld some stuff up LOL).

If these guys can do it to an X6 I should be able to do it too...
dude, that X6 tho!! The stance is almost non-functional. I mean that's ridiculous when you got to roll the fenders like he did! You got to think about drivability and such. Your kid is going to want to do some off-roading, I would consider lifting that at least 1 inch.

But that staggered setup is what I'm getting at earlier, is the look your kid needs to maintain ANY playground cred.
      03-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #28
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
dude, that X6 tho!! The stance is almost non-functional. I mean that's ridiculous when you got to roll the fenders like he did! You got to think about drivability and such. Your kid is going to want to do some off-roading, I would consider lifting that at least 1 inch.

But that staggered setup is what I'm getting at earlier, is the look your kid needs to maintain ANY playground cred.
Regardless of a drop, his kid will be the coolest kid in the playground
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #29
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Seriously.....build needs to be front page
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #30
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

What does the rear exhaust tips look like?
      03-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:

That's true about drivability, I have a feeling he'll be heading into the grass a few times. LOL I'll see what a 1" drop in the front looks like leaving a .5" gap in the front when I get the courage to cut into this thing's structure.

What I really want to build is an adjustable height suspension bracket so that I can raise and lower the ride height. I don't want to build a new frame for an air ride suspension (or at least not yet) hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
What does the rear exhaust tips look like?
The tips are chrome. I didn't paint them since I was planning on wrapping it with CF to get that Akrapovic look. What I'm worried about wrapping most is that rear diffuser with all of the bumps and dips. I'm going to try it myself a couple of times and if I keep screwing it up, I'll bring it to my wrap guy to finish it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kzang3220.50
      03-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #32
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Damn are those amber turn signals in the back?
      03-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #33
FourDoor
Private
Rep

LOL yeah those are ambers in the back. I wish the tail light was actually clear and had amber LEDs instead but it will have to do.

Good news: I got my decals in to make the little guy look more "authentic".

Bad news: I officially suck at wrapping vinyl. I can barely wrap a present so I'm not sure why I thought I could do the wrap on all of these curved pieces.

I have a couple of options right now I'm looking into, like hydro dipping the rear diffuser but they take like 1-2 weeks to get your parts back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Don't be discouraged with your vinyl skills. Jobs that look very easy become difficult quickly with reassesses like that bumper. Takes a ridiculous amount of fine dexterity and even more patience. I don't think anyone would charge you very much to do those couple pieces. As long as the vinyl you have isn't from eBay, the installer should be able to use it.
Hydro dipping would work as well but with CF I wouldn't attempt to do it at home as the pattern stretches and looks terrible (if not done perfectly)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #35
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

OMG, redo that wrap. Take your time use more materials on those edges and make the cut on the vinyl AFTER you tuck/fold it under the panel. Also, even with such small pieces, you need a 2nd hand. Get your wife to hold the vinyl or the pieces while you do the stretching and heat gun. If you stretch you need to do it uniformly, and there's no way you can do without having someone else hold the piece and vinyl down for you.

Your kid's friends would totally make fun of the poor vinyl job.

Agreed with guy above on not using patterned vinyl on large panels b/c you need to stretch and fold the vinyl. Patterned vinyl would be more seamless on smaller trim pieces or large flat square pieces, but definitely not panels like bumpers with many bends and curves. That mirror cap probably can be done better if you use a 2nd hand. IMO, redo the hood too
      03-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #36
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_v_o_1 View Post
Don't be discouraged with your vinyl skills. Jobs that look very easy become difficult quickly with reassesses like that bumper. Takes a ridiculous amount of fine dexterity and even more patience. I don't think anyone would charge you very much to do those couple pieces. As long as the vinyl you have isn't from eBay, the installer should be able to use it.
Hydro dipping would work as well but with CF I wouldn't attempt to do it at home as the pattern stretches and looks terrible (if not done perfectly)
Quote:
OMG, redo that wrap. Take your time use more materials on those edges and make the cut on the vinyl AFTER you tuck/fold it under the panel. Also, even with such small pieces, you need a 2nd hand. Get your wife to hold the vinyl or the pieces while you do the stretching and heat gun. If you stretch you need to do it uniformly, and there's no way you can do without having someone else hold the piece and vinyl down for you.

Your kid's friends would totally make fun of the poor vinyl job.

Agreed with guy above on not using patterned vinyl on large panels b/c you need to stretch and fold the vinyl. Patterned vinyl would be more seamless on smaller trim pieces or large flat square pieces, but definitely not panels like bumpers with many bends and curves. That mirror cap probably can be done better if you use a 2nd hand. IMO, redo the hood too

I ripped the wrap off the mirror right after I took that pic. I was so frustrated trying to get the curves to stretch out that I just said screw it and gave up and tried wrapping the flattest piece I had which were the window trims. The window trims were much better but I still had issues with the curved corners. I ripped that wrap off too after taking pics. Also the chrome paint was peeling off some so I think I may need to scuff up the chrome pieces to make sure everything sticks right.

Yes having extra hands would have helped out a lot. Even one extra hand to use the blow dryer to heat it up the vinyl would have been helpful. I didn't take out the heat gun in fear of melting the plastic pieces. LOL

I'll maybe give it one more shot tonight just for my own amusement but after looking at this rear diffuser either a highly skilled expert or hydro dipping will be the only answer.

Also what about the hood? Are you saying do the whole hood in CF?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #37
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

no, the edges on the hood isn't cut properly. I can see every part where you made a cut on the edge of the hood, the sections between the 4 and 8 o'clock areas under the roundel.

Fold it all the way to the back side, then cut it on the back side so the edges are flush with the shape. No one will look under the hood, so you can be as sloopy as you want cutting it there, but if you cut it right on the edge as you have, you have to be very precise.
      03-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #38
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
no, the edges on the hood isn't cut properly. I can see every part where you made a cut on the edge of the hood, the sections between the 4 and 8 o'clock areas under the roundel.

Fold it all the way to the back side, then cut it on the back side so the edges are flush with the shape. No one will look under the hood, so you can be as sloopy as you want cutting it there, but if you cut it right on the edge as you have, you have to be very precise.
Oh the hood isn't wrapped. I was showing a pic of the BMW decal that I installed since the original decal said somethin like BDM lol.

That's just terrible quality on the Chinese plastic. I had planned on taking a dremel around the whole car to clean up their rough cut edges when all is said and done. And yes the hood right by the kidney grill is the worst.

Also I just talked to my wrap guy. He said that plastics like these don't let the vinyl adhere to them properly unless you paint the surface first (which is probably what helped caus some of my frustration when i couldn't get the vinyl to pull and then stick on straight without the wrinkles.) I sent him pics so it'll be between him and a hydrodipping guy for these finishing touches.

Worst case scenario, just the exhaust tips and mirror caps will be carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #39
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
Oh the hood isn't wrapped. I was showing a pic of the BMW decal that I installed since the original decal said somethin like BDM lol.

That's just terrible quality on the Chinese plastic. I had planned on taking a dremel around the whole car to clean up their rough cut edges when all is said and done. And yes the hood right by the kidney grill is the worst.

Also I just talked to my wrap guy. He said that plastics like these don't let the vinyl adhere to them properly unless you paint the surface first (which is probably what helped caus some of my frustration when i couldn't get the vinyl to pull and then stick on straight without the wrinkles.) I sent him pics so it'll be between him and a hydrodipping guy for these finishing touches.

Worst case scenario, just the exhaust tips and mirror caps will be carbon fiber.

wait, that's the plastic?! How the F is this considered safe for kids?

I was wondering why you wanted to wrap a white car with a white vinyl (thought you were going for a closer match to alpine white or something lol)
      03-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #40
FourDoor
Private
Rep

A quick update on the toy. There hasn't been much progress while I wait for some parts to come back from the hydrodipper but I did find a little time to work on the project last night!

I drilled a hole through the body to raise the axle placement to lower the rear end! I have to head out to homedepot and come up with some kind metal plate to reinforce the side tub just in case but there is actually 6 points through the body (including the original shock tower) that the axle is going through so it should technically hold the boys weight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #41
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

He's gonna jump the curb like a mustang owner and hit a tree
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #42
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
He's gonna jump the curb like a mustang owner and hit a tree
If he's gonna do it right, he's gotta plow through some kids first before hitting the tree!

Another minor update since I've been traveling the past few weeks. The front end was lowered last week! We had to raise the front up a 1/4" from sitting flush with the fender so that the wheels wouldn't rub, but now my OCD is bugging me because the rear wheel is flush to the fender but I already cut into the rear plastic body! The body of the car is technically straight but I always wanted the fender gaps to be even across the entire car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0