BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
es1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Service at 30k; what do I get or should ask for

I just got message that service is sue in 400 miles. I checked idrive info and it is oil change. I however would like to get brake pads/rotors replaced as well but idrive points it will take 2100 miles. When I think about it has been 2100 miles for a last 4-5 months. Who is really making a call here? Can I request that brakes be fixed at 30k miles or it's computer who will decide or service adviser.
I also want a new battery. How do I ask for that?
Any idea or suggestion would whelp.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

You can ask and see what the dealer says but they'll generally balk at coverage if not called for by the computer. Still, ask them to take a measurement on the brakes to see if you're within the window for replacement. Worst they can say is no.

I don't think batteries are generally covered as a maintenance item unless you're covered via the TSB issued on the N63 (V8). Otherwise, they are considered normal wear/tear and are not considered in scope for the free maintenance services.

Unless you have a case that you need a new battery after 3 years because something else caused excessive drain, then you may be out of luck. You can get a new battery, but you'll have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

As said above, have them measure the brake linings for life. I find the brake replacement warnings are fairly premature, I extended/reset mine twice before installing my MPBK. Same on my E82, I've extended the service life warning based on the amount of pad left. Worst case, you do have pad sensors that will give you the ultimate warning outside of iDrive. As for what the deal will service, they will service your vehicle based on what's required by the interval chart, nothing more (additions would be at your cost).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Ask and maybe you shall receive. My dealer has always gone above and beyond all my requests. They even refinished 2 sets of BMW rims on warranty ! One set were the originals, and the second winter set were the same OEM BMW style of rim that I had bought second hand off of a third party. That's customer service
Appreciate 0