06-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
lectoid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 201X BMW 328i - soon

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Repeat customer ethics

I'll start by saying if there is a better forum for this question, please let me know. I googled but I must not be asking the right question.

I bought a car a few years ago from a dealer and liked the sales guy, Mr. A.

Last week I stopped by to look at a 3 row X5, just to see it in person and get a feel for the room and how seats work. No test drive, no other questions, just there for five minutes. But the sales guy that helped me, Mr. B, wasn't the guy from a few years ago.

Of course Mr. B asked for my info and I just gave him my e-mail and first name.

Mr. B followed up with me and asked me to tell him when I was ready to move forward to contact him.

Should I reply to Mr. B and tell him that I intend on working with the Mr. A? It really doesn't matter to me. But I'd hate to be sitting with Mr. B and Mr. A walk up and be like WTF?

Last edited by lectoid; 06-29-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

i was actually in the opposite situation as you OP. When i leased my 335 back in 2014, the CA left a not so great impression on me. Got a great deal, and was promised the car alot sooner than when i got it. When i sent email inquiries abt the status he would either not respond, or send me an email saying "when we get it.. we will call you" he even disappeared on vacation when the car arrived and I had to call them to schedule a pickup. he didnt even have the decency to leave any pending items with a colleague

Fast forward 3 years and im ready for the next vehicle. He actually reaches out to me about pull aheads and i tell him what im interested in. He keeps trying to tell me what "i need" and not listen to what "i want".. i told him i'll see him in a few months when i come to turn in my lease.

i see an x5 on their site that suits my needs...i make an appt with the sales manager to discuss. i mentioned i did not want to work with my previous CA. he understood and placed me with another senior salesman. long story short.. everything went well... new CA is a keeper... and i have a new x5

was awkward the day i went to pick it up. old CA sees me with new CA... shaking hands.. smiling.. and me giving new CA a bottle of grey goose as a thank you gift for his efforts!
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15
i was actually in the opposite situation as you OP. When i leased my 335 back in 2014, the CA left a not so great impression on me. Got a great deal, and was promised the car alot sooner than when i got it. When i sent email inquiries abt the status he would either not respond, or send me an email saying "when we get it.. we will call you" he even disappeared on vacation when the car arrived and I had to call them to schedule a pickup. he didnt even have the decency to leave any pending items with a colleague

Fast forward 3 years and im ready for the next vehicle. He actually reaches out to me about pull aheads and i tell him what im interested in. He keeps trying to tell me what "i need" and not listen to what "i want".. i told him i'll see him in a few months when i come to turn in my lease.

i see an x5 on their site that suits my needs...i make an appt with the sales manager to discuss. i mentioned i did not want to work with my previous CA. he understood and placed me with another senior salesman. long story short.. everything went well... new CA is a keeper... and i have a new x5

was awkward the day i went to pick it up. old CA sees me with new CA... shaking hands.. smiling.. and me giving new CA a bottle of grey goose as a thank you gift for his efforts!
I,like to hear stories like this.

The art of customer service is key when it comes to these things.

I'm sure most will agree that if they have a pleasant experience with a CA, they will have repeated business and referrals constantly
      06-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've learned CA's aren't your friend (most of the time) so don't feel like you are obligated to stick with person A. They need to earn your business and if something wasn't right with one CA go with another or if person B is even better then go with him/her. It is unlikely that person A would remember who you are after buying one car from him.

Alan
      06-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
lectoid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Yea I liked Mr. A in my story. I never felt pressured to buy and never felt like they were playing with numbers. They even talked me out of the extended maintenance because they said with the miles and year, it wasn't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
lectoid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I've learned CA's aren't your friend (most of the time) so don't feel like you are obligated to stick with person A. They need to earn your business and if something wasn't right with one CA go with another or if person B is even better then go with him/her. It is unlikely that person A would remember who you are after buying one car from him.

Alan
Oh I get they aren't your friend and they are nice because they are making money off of you. But I've been to some shit dealers before and have walked away from a sale because of their tactics.

One dealer in florida wanted me to sign an agreement that I agreed to buy a car from them. I said no and asked for the next closest dealer that sells the same make.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I,like to hear stories like this.

The art of customer service is key when it comes to these things.

I'm sure most will agree that if they have a pleasant experience with a CA, they will have repeated business and referrals constantly
just to add....i had spoken to their internet sales person prior to speaking to CA#1 abt the pull aheads. I had a very specific build in mind for a 2017 440 Gran coupe. RWD, individual color... i told her that i knew NE dealerships were not keen in ordering RWD cars but she spoke to the sales manager and he would be happy to sign off on it providing i did not back out of the deal. I was fine with that since that is what "i wanted"

when CA#1 called me i had told him that i spoke to blah blah and blah blah and was assured that it wouldn't be a problem. He then proceeded to tell me why RWD is a bad idea... and that he has an AWD on the lot. So i asked him "is it in the color combinaton i want?" and he proceeded to tell me no.. but its a higher msrp and i can give you a good price..i think you should go in that direction... very... very pushy... he was one of those "typical" sales guys i guess.

CA#2 was the polar opposite. i told him abt my situation and he told me not to get too worked up over it... he assured me that dealing with him would not feel one sided. In the end it was a fantastic experience... and i do hope to do business with him in three years again.

but to echo the sentiments of the others in there... they are not your friends, you go with who you are more comfortable with. Its your money that we are talking about...you should spend it where you feel the most comfortable
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Firstly, you can work with anyone you want.

I've done this before. I think the best approach would be to tell Mr A, that Mr B approached you, but that you wanted to let A know this fact so they don't have any misunderstandings. At luxury dealerships, I believe "walk ups" aren't coveted by the salesman. It comes down to how sales credit is given, but it's not your concern. They can hash it out later.

Would Mr. B care? A bit...but any quips should be handled between A and B away from the customer.

Look...you bigger concern is to look after yourself. You need to get a good deal...
      06-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

This is why I work with an auto broker. No Mr. A or Mr. B. Just great service, delivery to my home, and great price.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
lectoid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xweb10 View Post
This is why I work with an auto broker. No Mr. A or Mr. B. Just great service, delivery to my home, and great price.
Can you elaborate more on that?

I'm looking for a used 2017 X5 with a 3rd row first and foremost. Other options are icing because there are only 2 within 250 miles of me. So it's very likely my local dealer won't even be able to get me one.

I have been using the CPO search on BMW because it's the only online tool I've found where I can filter by 3rd row. I really don't want to search on cars.com for example and put every VIN number in a decoder.

Also even though I buy almost everything online, a car is one of those things that I'd want to look over and drive before I bought. I'd hate for it to show up and have a tear on a seat or big scratch in the paint, blown speaker, etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweb10 View Post
can you let me know your broker?
      06-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #12
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Would Mr. B care? A bit...but any quips should be handled between A and B away from the customer.

or they can yell at each other right in front of the customer... (true story at a mercedes dealership.. needless to say i didn't bring my business there)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15 View Post

or they can yell at each other right in front of the customer... (true story at a mercedes dealership.. needless to say i didn't bring my business there)
haha! going to need to hear the story on this one. So what was said?
      06-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

We needed a third BMW recently, and had casually looked around the new car showroom at the local dealership. Friendly chap was showing me around, and showed me a few models that he thought would be a good fit. I thanked him for his time, then walked over to the used car section, which is actually on the opposite side of the property in another building. Found a car I liked there, a used car salesman helped me, and I was on my way. When I came back a week later to pick up the user manual, I ran into the new car salesman. I thanked him again for his time the week previous, and told him we ended up buying a 2016 with a few thousands miles on it. The boy was riled! He said that he could have helped me with a used car also, not just new cars. I told him I honestly had no idea, and advised him to just to work it out with the used car guy I bought the car from.

Moral of the story: help the customer in any way possible, and don't just push what's best for YOU.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
We needed a third BMW recently, and had casually looked around the new car showroom at the local dealership. Friendly chap was showing me around, and showed me a few models that he thought would be a good fit. I thanked him for his time, then walked over to the used car section, which is actually on the opposite side of the property in another building. Found a car I liked there, a used car salesman helped me, and I was on my way. When I came back a week later to pick up the user manual, I ran into the new car salesman. I thanked him again for his time the week previous, and told him we ended up buying a 2016 with a few thousands miles on it. The boy was riled! He said that he could have helped me with a used car also, not just new cars. I told him I honestly had no idea, and advised him to just to work it out with the used car guy I bought the car from.

Moral of the story: help the customer in any way possible, and don't just push what's best for YOU.
again, my way of seeing this is...it's sales guy #1's fault for not following through. Should have asked you for all your options and thoughts. Had he done it, he would have closed the used sale. Sure he has better incentives to sell new cars, but he better learn.

Understand customer's needs, follow up, and follow through. Dog eat dog out there.

It's up to him to now claw back something from his management in terms of bonuses, unless he's more upset he's not getting the sale credit, in which case, it's his employer's issue of creating a hyper competitive environment internally. They gotta work as a team.

When I bought my parent's two cars, the dealership I was working with didn't care who sourced the deal. It's probably the exception than the rule...
      06-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #16
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
haha! going to need to hear the story on this one. So what was said?
Towards the end of my lease on the 335 i was considering two vehicles 440 Grand Coupe or a MB c43 AMG sedan. (wound up in an x5... go figure)

I had gone to a local MB dealership to test drive a C43 and while i was waiting for them to bring the car out, the saleman that I was working with told me they got one right outside (ordered for another customer) but said i could go look at it.

So we went outside and he told me it was unlocked and that i could sit in it. I figured no big deal, he even told me to start it to hear the engine. I obliged, and the minute the engine kicked in another salesman came running over demanding that i get out of the vehicle stating it wasn't my car. I was with my wife and two young children. My salesguy was like "hey.. he's interested in buying one so i wanted to show him one, not a huge deal... hes not driving it anywhere" salesman B says "he has no business being in this car, its sold, if you wanted to show him one, then pull one from inventory and show him that one, he should not be in this one"

so i was like "okay cool..i get it... relax...i didnt know" and he was like "if you saw someone sitting in the car you ordered you wouldn't be happy would you?"
so i was like "okay.. um...bye?"
my salesman than proceeded to jaw at him about relaxing a bit.. its no big deal... back and forth they go.. at which point me and my family said "thanks.. no thanks.. we are leaving..."

needless to say....even if i did wind up getting the car.. it wouldn't be thru them. I got a call literally 5 minutes after we left trying to get me to come back. called me a few times over the course of the following week. Followed by emails, but i wasn't interested. I can't do business with a place that can conduct themselves in that manner in front of potential customers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Towards the end of my lease on the 335 i was considering two vehicles 440 Grand Coupe or a MB c43 AMG sedan. (wound up in an x5... go figure)

I had gone to a local MB dealership to test drive a C43 and while i was waiting for them to bring the car out, the saleman that I was working with told me they got one right outside (ordered for another customer) but said i could go look at it.

So we went outside and he told me it was unlocked and that i could sit in it. I figured no big deal, he even told me to start it to hear the engine. I obliged, and the minute the engine kicked in another salesman came running over demanding that i get out of the vehicle stating it wasn't my car. I was with my wife and two young children. My salesguy was like "hey.. he's interested in buying one so i wanted to show him one, not a huge deal... hes not driving it anywhere" salesman B says "he has no business being in this car, its sold, if you wanted to show him one, then pull one from inventory and show him that one, he should not be in this one"

so i was like "okay cool..i get it... relax...i didnt know" and he was like "if you saw someone sitting in the car you ordered you wouldn't be happy would you?"
my salesman than proceeded to jaw at him about relaxing a bit.. its no big deal... back and forth they go.. at which point me and my family said "thanks.. no thanks.. we are leaving..."

needless to say....even if i did wind up getting the car.. it wouldn't be thru them. I got a call literally 5 minutes after we left trying to get me to come back. called me a few times over the course of the following week. Followed by emails, but i wasn't interested. I can't do business with a place that can conduct themselves in that manner in front of potential customers
wow, just wow.

Not on front of the customers.....
      06-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #18
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

If these fools worked for me they both would have been fired on the spot
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #19
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectoid View Post
I'll start by saying if there is a better forum for this question, please let me know. I googled but I must not be asking the right question.

I bought a car a few years ago from a dealer and liked the sales guy, Mr. A.

Last week I stopped by to look at a 3 row X5, just to see it in person and get a feel for the room and how seats work. No test drive, no other questions, just there for five minutes. But the sales guy that helped me, Mr. B, wasn't the guy from a few years ago.

Of course Mr. B asked for my info and I just gave him my e-mail and first name.

Mr. B followed up with me and asked me to tell him when I was ready to move forward to contact him.

Should I reply to Mr. B and tell him that I intend on working with the Mr. A? It really doesn't matter to me. But I'd hate to be sitting with Mr. B and Mr. A walk up and be like WFT?
I'd just shoot him a note. It's corny that BMW calls them "Client Advisors" but if that's how they want to bill it, then you as the client are well within your rights to continue your relationship with your original advisor.
      06-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:

Letting anyone else sit in a sold car is a no-no in my book. Based on that I wouldn't have bought from them since they would turn around and do the same to me.
      06-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #21
lectoid
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
In case anyone is still wondering, I replied to Mr. B and told him I had previously worked with Mr. A. About an hour later I got an e-mail from Mr. A asking how could he help.

Now just waiting for the 2018's to come out so the prices on 2017's drop.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Letting anyone else sit in a sold car is a no-no in my book. Based on that I wouldn't have bought from them since they would turn around and do the same to me.
don't get me wrong..i agree. Maybe they don't consider it sold until the person comes in and signs the paper and is handed the keys. I didn't see any harm in sitting in it as the plastic seat covers and papers were protecting the interior. car just came off the truck it appears as it was very dirty and still had the plastic shipping tape on it. and my kids did not even step near it let alone in it.

it is what it is... i guess at the end of the day it was someone telling me to stay with BMW and not stray to a competitor.. lol
Appreciate 0