BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

intake option, X5M drop in Filters?

i tried searching, someone told me that this was an option, obviously from their experience they fit, are they different than the filters from the 5.0 engine? any improvement?

Anyone else do this, have a part number?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

so to expand on my comment. same filter type, same design, same factory fit, but different measurements for the filter surface area...

https://www.google.com/search?q=x5m+...il1YfeRnWkM%3A

this is kind of what they look like. the x5 m just has more Filter surface, so i believed it would have a higher CFM.

the actual engine is very similar for both cars....imagine the same engine, just bigger turbos and more robust, and way better in every way
      04-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

only reason to recommend these filters is if you plan on a Tune, and any exhaust modification. if we can have the air filter not be the limiting factor other then computer control, then why not...
      04-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep

would i need 1 or 2?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster View Post
so to expand on my comment. same filter type, same design, same factory fit, but different measurements for the filter surface area...
are you going to attempt this?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

you wont notice anything different changing air filters. if you want more power, get a tune. way more bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep

i will be getting them, im really looking for maybe added sound of intake, and then to help the tune breathe easier, I put a bmc filter on the m3 and you could notice and aural difference. Im sure its not for power, maybe one could argue efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
They are drop in. You do need two, but the left and right ones are different part numbers.

That said I don't think it's worth it as a "tune" but if you need new filters, then by means get these. They don't increase sound or anything. I only got them because my old filters were dirty.

Part numbers are 13717850055 and 13717850056 if you do want to order them.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i am not interested in making the vehicle faster it's a porker and it's peppy for what it is but it is muted. this must be the quietest v8 i have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep

iconoclast i can promise you this, if its anything like the e90 m3 bmc filter drop in, you can tell the difference inside the cabin immediately. I took my car in for service one time, when i got the car back on the way home the sound was off, and i had an AA exhaust on it but knew it didn't sound right, i opened up the air box and found they took my bmc and tossed it for a stock filter, the dealer had to buy me a new one!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlnike View Post
iconoclast i can promise you this, if its anything like the e90 m3 bmc filter drop in, you can tell the difference inside the cabin immediately. I took my car in for service one time, when i got the car back on the way home the sound was off, and i had an AA exhaust on it but knew it didn't sound right, i opened up the air box and found they took my bmc and tossed it for a stock filter, the dealer had to buy me a new one!
no sound improvement as the intake structure really muffles sound....this isnt the X5m or a track car, its luxury cruising at its finest.

i took the plastic engine cover off, and noticed i could hear more engine....nothing crazy tho just un muffled.

in all honesty, the filters probably aren't totally worth it, but then again, i just sold my x5 for a jacked up jeep rubicon....my priorites are all fd up
      04-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i am not interested in making the vehicle faster it's a porker and it's peppy for what it is but it is muted. this must be the quietest v8 i have ever owned.
seriously?

i totally did not feel that way, but i did spend alot of time windows down and pedal to the floor.

and upgraded to GTHAUS catback, so i must have not been satisfied, but if you go aftermarket one car, you go aftermarket all cars

thinking of the class of car, luxury and suv, i thought it was the best, other then Ms and AMGs, GTS maybe...
      04-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i would never give any money to gthaus or ever buy a meisterschaft product. deceptive fraudsters who took advantage of many individuals but that's a different topic. i do not drive with windows down and pedal to floor so i have had a different experience and would a slight increase in engine volume and exhaust volume and note.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I do not drive with windows down either. The X5 seems quiet inside. I like this. Friend in a DD sports car says he's dead every time he goes on a road trip.

My friend did tell me my car is very loud on the outside especially when I plow the thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep

i dont get how this is not a big thing on this forum, with everyone getting tunes/exhaust/ and other mods i would think this would be one of everyone first choices.... considering there is no full intake option at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlnike
It'll respond nothing like the S65. S65 had real induction noise (thanks to the box, snorkel and ITBs). Routing through two turbos and an IC kills induction noise. Your options are exhaust or to try and code S65 into your ASD
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i dont get how this is not a big thing on this forum, with everyone getting tunes/exhaust/ and other mods i would think this would be one of everyone first choices.... considering there is no full intake option at the moment.
i imagine it is because demand in general if fairly low and judging by the construction of it the product may cost more to create than it is worth or even worse that the difference is so small there is no point. no idea just speculating.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I do not drive with windows down either. The X5 seems quiet inside. I like this. Friend in a DD sports car says he's dead every time he goes on a road trip.

My friend did tell me my car is very loud on the outside especially when I plow the thing.
honestly, the x5 isnt all that isolated from the road noise. plus with all the plastic rattling myself and others have experienced, it was a let down. especially becuase my wrangler with a hardtop is really not bad under 75

honestly throwing the exhaust on actually drowned out the road noise and rattling and i had no complaints after that
      04-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #19
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
agreed!

but more likely then not, we do not have the same ratios of people willing to modify vs those who wouldn't. Ms and such are purposed built and ready for young teenage dreams
      04-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
honestly, the x5 isnt all that isolated from the road noise. plus with all the plastic rattling myself and others have experienced, it was a let down. especially becuase my wrangler with a hardtop is really not bad under 75

honestly throwing the exhaust on actually drowned out the road noise and rattling and i had no complaints after that
I don't know. Seems quieter compared to my old E70 and Cayenne, also quieter than my friends' Mercedes and Audi SUVs. I don't have that wind noise a lot of folks seem to have at the windows. The Cayenne I have is a so loud inside it feels like I'm trying with a window gap.

Though it definitely is louder than a Range Rover. That one is just quiet in inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #21
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

go check out a new yukon denali, maybe base yukons and tahoes are the same, but my mothers denali is so quiet you forget your in a vehicle at all. even with the 6.2 v8.
      04-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #22
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

if you want to get rid of road noice, get rid of the run flat tires!
Appreciate 0