BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Buyers Remorse

I might have buyers remorse. I just ordered ($500 deposit) on a new X5 about a week ago and it's in production now.

This weekend I saw a Jaguar F Pace on the road and just absolutely fell in love with it.

Doing some research I can get a well equipped F Pace S type (380hp) for same price as the X5 I built.

I'm coming out of a 2014 X5 so it may be because I'm wanting to try something new, but my god is that F Pace a beautiful vehicle.

What do you guys think?

Any chance I can get my deposit back and go for the Jaguar?

Update: STAYING WITH BMW! PICKING UP THE NEW RIDE ON 4/15

Last edited by xdriverx; 04-11-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
I might have buyers remorse. I just ordered ($500 deposit) on a new X5 about a week ago and it's in production now.

This weekend I saw a Jaguar F Pace on the road and just absolutely fell in love with it.

Doing some research I can get a well equipped F Pace S type (380hp) for same price as the X5 I built.

I'm coming out of a 2014 X5 so it may be because I'm wanting to try something new, but my god is that F Pace a beautiful vehicle.

What do you guys think?

I don't know about the Jaguar but the dealer cannot legally keep your deposit so you will be able to get that back if you decide to go in another direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I agree, sharp looking vehicle. Having never driven one, I cant really comment on much more than the aesthetics of it. If it was me, I'd still choose the X5 over the Jag. As for your deposit, if your build isn't too crazy, the dealer may choose to keep the order for stock. Worth asking (sooner the better).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

No experience with Jaguar. It does look stunning but it doesn't compete with the X5 as its smaller. It's about the size of the X3. One thing that would shy me away from it would be the dull looking interior and infotaintment system but if thats not a problem then you can always tell the dealer you don't want the car anymore. X5's usually move quickly and they always have a bunch of them on stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Yep, I looked at the F-Pace, and it's not X5 size/class, definitely X3/Q5 class.

I wasn't impressed with the interior at all when I tried one.

Does drive quite nicely though.
      04-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
No experience with Jaguar. It does look stunning but it doesn't compete with the X5 as its smaller. It's about the size of the X3. One thing that would shy me away from it would be the dull looking interior and infotaintment system but if thats not a problem then you can always tell the dealer you don't want the car anymore. X5's usually move quickly and they always have a bunch of them on stock.
I agree it may be smaller, but I think it's between the size of the X5 and X4.

I think the interior is actually nice looking and offers red leather unlike BMW unless you opt for the X5M. The technology package is more updated as well as it offers full 12" touch screen in center console and a 10" behind the wheel much like Audi's virtual cockpit.

I have 2 small kids so I think having the extra room is important but I can't deny the X5 has gotten stale for me and I would love to spice up my drive with something as sporty, bold and beautiful as the Jaguar F Pace S.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

This video review was what really demonstrated what I was missing with the X5. Skip to 25:15.

https://youtu.be/5a6La8b0rd4?t=1515
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
I have 2 small kids so I think having the extra room is important but I can't deny the X5 has gotten stale for me and I would love to spice up my drive with something as sporty, bold and beautiful as the Jaguar F Pace S.
I can understand that.

I ended up going for the X5 over the better driving Porsche Cayenne for certain reasons that have turned out to be wrong, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the Porsche, although the VW diesel engine in the Porsche was very uninspiring - so I could equally now be owning a Porsche and wishing I'd bought the BMW

Would have loss less money that way around though if deciding to change early.....
      04-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
I don't know about the Jaguar but the dealer cannot legally keep your deposit so you will be able to get that back if you decide to go in another direction.
My SA told me once the vehicle goes into production that the deposit is non-refundable. It literally went into the production the day after I put my deposit down.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Joemarino
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M-Sport

I am also a huge fan of the F-Pace and had a hard time picking between the two a couple of months ago. I ended up picking the X5 because it was more cost appropriate, and now I absolutely love the X5.

That Jaguar exhaust though.... can't beat it!

Good luck making the decision!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
My SA told me once the vehicle goes into production that the deposit is non-refundable. It literally went into the production the day after I put my deposit down.
X5s do appear to be going into production rather quickly lately. I wonder if F15 sales are beginning to slow down?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:

I think the interior is actually nice looking and offers red leather unlike BMW unless you opt for the X5M. The technology package is more updated as well as it offers full 12" touch screen in center console and a 10" behind the wheel much like Audi's virtual cockpit.

Looks are subjective. The 2017 X5 comes with touch screen as well and very responsive. I would say if your gut tells you the F-Pace is what you want then go for it. It's best not to regret anything after .

Maybe you should test drive one and see for yourself how it goes?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #13
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
Looks are subjective. The 2017 X5 comes with touch screen as well and very responsive. I would say if your gut tells you the F-Pace is what you want then go for it. It's best not to regret anything after .

Maybe you should test drive one and see for yourself how it goes?
I agree. I shouldn't jump to conclusions unless I drive one myself. I think I'm leaning toward staying with the X5 and maybe in 3 years when my lease is up i'll do a better job of exploring my options.

It's just easier for me to stick with BMW as i don't have time to go from dealer to dealer to see what is on offer.

I was originally going to look into the new Audi Q7 but after having a shitty experience at Biener Audi (in Great Neck, NY Long Island...don't go there ever) I decided Audi is not getting my business.

I love my current X5 and I should be very happy with my next one. Thanks for all the info and anecdotes guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
X5s do appear to be going into production rather quickly lately. I wonder if F15 sales are beginning to slow down?
F15 sales have slowed down and BMW has the nerve to bump the price up this month.

I placed my order for the F15 on 3/25, went into production last Monday 3/27 and will finish this Wednesday 4/5. I'd say production is moving very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #15
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Quote:

To each his own... You don't need to sell us on it, if you prefer it over the X5 then go for it! Don't let the $500 get in the way, it is insignificant in the grand scheme.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 04-03-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

usually your first choice is the right one (thinking back to high school test prep). there will always be something new on the horizon. You have option to switch to Jag. Do consider resale on the Jag tho.
      04-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

F-Pace is smaller than the X5 and competes with the Porsche macan and X3/Q5's as stated above.. the Q7 is slightly bigger than the X5. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Porsche Macan S to drive a more fun car everyday. With regards to the deposit... you should be able to get that back. But if you don't.. then just let it go... That is what the deposit is designed to do for a dealer.. the hassles of ordering a custom car and customers declining the car. I've never had to put a deposit down on a custom ordered car.. I guess some dealers are different. You can cancel your order since no contract was signed... Contracts are typically signed during taking delivery of the car... and that doesn't happen until the car is built and delivered to your dealer

With that said.. do what makes you happier.. life is too short to drive boring cars!

Last edited by Kzang; 04-03-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      04-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
usually your first choice is the right one (thinking back to high school test prep). there will always be something new on the horizon. You have option to switch to Jag. Do consider resale on the Jag tho.
He is leasing... so no issues with that. Considering he has a 2014 X5 now... the choice is clear IMO... get the jag!
      04-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #19
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
F15 sales have slowed down and BMW has the nerve to bump the price up this month.

Allegedly the price increase came to soften the blow for 4th Gen X5 (G05). BTW, the X5 was not the only model that saw a price increase either. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...02&postcount=1

Regardless it was a bold move by BMW given that their overall sales are down in comparison to the competition.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Have 2017, had 2014 before that and can tell you if the car is specced right and you will get all the goodies it is still an awesome ride, for me F pace does not compare. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...5-2017-review/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

You should be able to get your deposit back, but even if you don't - $500 is still not a big loss to cover vs. years of discontent driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #22
igeneo
Rep
Drives:

I found this article, seems a bit conflicted

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...%20a%20Car.pdf

Quote:
Many consumers mistakenly believe they are entitled to a refund of their deposit if they decide not to buy a car. However, there is no right to cancel a contract, unless the dealer fails to conspicuously post the refund policy. If the dealer assists you in arranging for financing and you have not picked up the vehicle, you may cancel at any time prior to signing a finance agreement and receive a full refund
Appreciate 0