BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #45
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Thank you again for all those that contributed on this thread. It happened a little quicker than I thought it would and I have a new additional to the family.

Better pics at some point - this one via crapple phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #46
iRyan_3
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F15 X5 m-sport

I just purchased this week a 2015 Sdrive35 MSport , carbon black with mocha interior, has every thing included. Original sticker was $75k, lighting package, rear sunshade, plus a lot more which I'll post a pic of. Has 31k miles and certified. I have a little under 4 years left on the warranty. They wanted $44,500 I ended up getting them to drop down to $41,500. I think I did pretty well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #47
Granthp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

In a similar boat here. Looking at a 2015 xdrive3.5i about 500 miles away. Listed for about $46,500 as a CPO. Thinking of offering $41,500 and if they can’t make those numbers work, continue waiting until I find one closer to $40k.
Question: if purchasing a used x5 that has 2 years left on warranty, would you still get a Pre purchase inspection before flying to purchase? Or is the CPO PPI good enough?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #48
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granthp View Post
In a similar boat here. Looking at a 2015 xdrive3.5i about 500 miles away. Listed for about $46,500 as a CPO. Thinking of offering $41,500 and if they can’t make those numbers work, continue waiting until I find one closer to $40k.
Question: if purchasing a used x5 that has 2 years left on warranty, would you still get a Pre purchase inspection before flying to purchase? Or is the CPO PPI good enough?
Thanks!
I would be careful w/CPOs, just because they have warranty, they're not problem free. Personally, I like purchasing from individuals.
Most folks are honest and there are really good deals out there these days, especially on X5s now that the new model is coming out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

Quote:
Thanks!
Don’t get your hopes up, IMO they will laugh at an offer of 5k under asking and come back to you at 45k.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #50
Granthp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico385 View Post
Don’t get your hopes up, IMO they will laugh at an offer of 5k under asking and come back to you at 45k.
Even if it’s been on the lot 50 days?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #51
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Fifty days isn't that much. They usually go up to 90 days before they go off to auction, or are simply sent over to another neighboring dealership so they appear "fresh" on the books again.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #52
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Doubt they're willing to go to 41K. Strongly suggest you look on Autotrader from individuals.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #53
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
They were asking 44,500 for mine and I got it for 39,900 after it sat another week. I also had a trade in, so I’m sure that played a part. And my purchase history with the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #54
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
I would be careful w/CPOs, just because they have warranty, they're not problem free. Personally, I like purchasing from individuals.
Most folks are honest and there are really good deals out there these days, especially on X5s now that the new model is coming out.
This is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on this forum. Be careful with CPO’s?! Huh?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #55
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
This is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on this forum. Be careful with CPO’s?! Huh?!?
Do a quick search on this forum.
Yes, they're covered, but do you want to go through the hassle?

Not saying all CPOs are bad, nor that all individuals are honest.
But for CPOs, you pay a premium in advance, in case something happens.
I prefer to pay once something happens. This is BMW, you should accept, and be able to pay, the high cost of repair.
That's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #56
IloveBMW1932
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I’m not sure if this is gonna help but I bought my 2014 x5 with 45k miles for 32k still has few months of the warranty left. Super clean no accidents it has the basic options nothing insane
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #57
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I prefer to pay once something happens. This is BMW, you should accept, and be able to pay, the high cost of repair.
That's just my opinion.
Well, my CPO X5 is covered til 2020, or 100,000 miles. I can’t find the flaw in that deal versus paying the same amount from a private seller and NOT having a warranty and having to pay out of pocket for things like a door handle light that’s out, wheels corroding, etc...

You’re just not making any sense, man.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #58
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:

That's just my opinion.
Actually, absolutely NO CPO is bad. It has to go through a 150 pint inspection (and pass) for it to qualify. Any parts changed (including filters, brakes, etc) HAVE to be genuine BMW - individuals can use whatever they want. Any accidents, resprays, etc have to be declared (can you say the same for individuals?). And, get this: CPO includes a BMW warranty!

If you check the car's history, including carfax and maintenance records, there's nothing better than a CPO. Do you pay a premium? Yes, but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #59
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Well, my CPO X5 is covered til 2020, or 100,000 miles. I can’t find the flaw in that deal versus paying the same amount from a private seller and NOT having a warranty and having to pay out of pocket for things like a door handle light that’s out, wheels corroding, etc...

You’re just not making any sense, man.
Am glad CPO worked well for you.
But, from my experiencie, trying to find a quality individual who takes care of his/"her car is preferable to paying a premium for the same car in advance.
Now, if that approach does not make sense to you, it's OK; it does for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #60
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:

That's just my opinion.
What is the hassle you'd have to go through? Take the car in to have BMW fix the issue while you get a loaner to drive? Doesn't seem like more hassle to me.

Have you personally had a BMW CPO and had issues? If not, I'm not sure you have much ground to stand on.

I had a 2012 E46 M3 with CPO purchased from a private party. Had no issues with having the CPO warranty transferred to me and having any issues fixed, while I got to drive around a nice new loaner. Only reason I purchased it private party is because of the CPO. I also didn't pay any premium for it since the guy I bought it from ate that cost.

Also, just because it's a BMW you should accept high cost of repairs? Why? This is totally fail logic.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #61
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
What is the hassle you'd have to go through? Take the car in to have BMW fix the issue while you get a loaner to drive? Doesn't seem like more hassle to me.

Have you personally had a BMW CPO and had issues? If not, I'm not sure you have much ground to stand on.

I had a 2012 E46 M3 with CPO purchased from a private party. Had no issues with having the CPO warranty transferred to me and having any issues fixed, while I got to drive around a nice new loaner. Only reason I purchased it private party is because of the CPO. I also didn't pay any premium for it since the guy I bought it from ate that cost.

Also, just because it's a BMW you should accept high cost of repairs? Why? This is totally fail logic.
Used to lease vehicles till late 2000s, including an 328xi which did run into a problem with the XDrive. Was happy it was under warranty, obviously.
But, at some point, I knew that if I wanted to keep car longer, I'd have to realize the cost of maintenance myself.
After 328xi lease, and due to longer trips, I could no longer afford to lease.
So I looked to buy one. Long list of opportunities obviously.
Never ruled out CPOs, just found it pointless to pay premium up front, before any problems occur.
Also realized that there are "semi desperate" individuals out there who need to unload their vehicle for one reason or another. It worked twice for so I highly recommend it.
You can also see in our ad section
As for loaner, insurance can provide one in case of a mechanical breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #62
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
In a similar boat here. Looking at a 2015 xdrive3.5i about 500 miles away. Listed for about $46,500 as a CPO. Thinking of offering $41,500 and if they can’t make those numbers work, continue waiting until I find one closer to $40k...
Depends on mileage & options, but from my experiences, $41..42k wil get you a nicely equipped 3.5i with about a year left of warranty (keep in mind plenty of 2015 went in service in 2014.)

You may score a nice one from a private sale, but chances are very low - no one is selling a good car in the first 2-3 years, as it means eating up ~50% of depreciation. Obviously, there are exceptions, but usually such cars are traded in.

As for auction & dealers, again, based on my recent experiences, BMW keeps the top of the crop for themselves and sells as CPOs; next tier is sold thru their wholesale channel. The bottom ones are sent to auctions and end up on 3rd party dealer lots.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #63
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Depends on mileage & options, but from my experiences, $41..42k wil get you a nicely equipped 3.5i with about a year left of warranty (keep in mind plenty of 2015 went in service in 2014.)

You may score a nice one from a private sale, but chances are very low - no one is selling a good car in the first 2-3 years, as it means eating up ~50% of depreciation. Obviously, there are exceptions, but usually such cars are traded in.

As for auction & dealers, again, based on my recent experiences, BMW keeps the top of the crop for themselves and sells as CPOs; next tier is sold thru their wholesale channel. The bottom ones are sent to auctions and end up on 3rd party dealer lots.
Can you elaborate on "BMW keeps the top of the crop for themselves and sells as CPOs". How does corporate determine them, just by simple inspections? Do its engineers review certain metrics?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #64
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

In general - under 40..45k mileage, clean carfax, no major cosmetic blemishes.

LOL at 'engineers', we're talking about mass produced cars, not mclarens ...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #65
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
In general - under 40..45k mileage, clean carfax, no major cosmetic blemishes.

LOL at 'engineers', we're talking about mass produced cars, not mclarens ...
The criteria you listed probably apply to 90% of leases, I doubt they have such liberal criteria.
As for "engineers", I had to assume that BMW does some sort of further research in order to warranty vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #66
Chigger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRyan_3 View Post
I just purchased this week a 2015 Sdrive35 MSport , carbon black with mocha interior, has every thing included. Original sticker was $75k, lighting package, rear sunshade, plus a lot more which I'll post a pic of. Has 31k miles and certified. I have a little under 4 years left on the warranty. They wanted $44,500 I ended up getting them to drop down to $41,500. I think I did pretty well
Looks like mine!

I got mine in the mid $30s because of higher miles and the fact it is in the northeast.
Appreciate 0