05-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #45
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
I'm thinking of doing "MX5M, xDrive50iM" to increase the value even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
You can do X5Md or X5dM
///MMM...

Last edited by Chadmatic; 05-24-2017 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 02:46 AM   #46
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
You can do X5Md or X5dM
I don't think so!
      05-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #47
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Edit: But then we would have to change the title of the thread to "How to decrease the value of your X by $40k"
Answer to that one is easy...just drive the thing off the lot.

Thanks...I'll be here all the week. Tip your bartender.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #48
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I would put the M before the X and swap all of the BMW badges for Mazda ones.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      05-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #49
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Yes, it is different.. you see. When people add the ///M beside the car's model emblem of the back of the car as you see them on real M's, you are portraying and trying to deceive themselves and others that they are driving a $100K car.
Yet the M is all over Msport packages when in reality it is a 35i. Very similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #50
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
I blame BMW for this issue. They shouldn’t have named the M-Sport line “M-Sport” and they shouldn’t have put ///M all over the car. They had the Modern Line and continue to have the Luxury Line and the only way you can tell these difference lines are by the options in the car. They should have just made the M-Sport the Sport Line without all the ///M badges all over the car.

Idk what they were thinking in using the same badge for M-Sport vehicles as a M car. Even to try and justify it by saying M-Sport cars have ///M Performance. They still don’t perform like true M cars.

With all that being said if BMW puts 10 ///M badges on a M-Sport vehicle is it really so wrong if the owner adds a couple more. Because according to the auto manufacturer “BMW” this badge ///M belongs on M-Sport vehicles as well as true M cars. To this persons defense he/she still has the 35i emblem on the vehicle, so they may have a X-Drive 35i M-Sport and wanted to add one more badge...idk. Although by putting it right next to the X6 and it not being a true M car does look pretty bad…haha!

As for me, I own a couple M-Sport vehicles, but I wouldn't dare purchase a ///M badge and stick it anywhere on my vehicles.

Anyway, like we always say when we see ///M on non true M cars. To the average person they don’t know or even care about the ///M badge…
Very good post.

BMW should just called it the "Sport" line. There shouldn't be an M anywhere on non-M cars. But adding the M on non-M cars allows BMW to charge even more.
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      05-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #51
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
+1

I see, so it's when somebody appends the X5 badge with ///M to purposely create the illusion that their car is an X5///M. But the ///M badge on it's own is okay?

The difference between ///M Performance and ///M is a little blurry, somebody needs to create an official thread on the topic. "The first rule of ///M Club is..."
Lol!

I think your logic is sound.

And upon further thought I agree.

I do feel it's authentic when it comes from the factory. But why do they do it? Money. Yet it's a completely different car. I recently drove an X5M and it truly is very different. Just sitting in it, you can feel the difference.

I'd prefer if they came up with a way to differentiate a true M car, with an upgraded base model.

That said, I still find it distasteful to add an M. Is it different than upgrading the wheels or fascia? No, I suppose not. But I still don't like it and personally would not do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #52
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

guys....M Performance fake tinsels of high performance and M cars are two different experiences, aside from cost of those cars. They drive like completely different cars.

This is a tired out debate of the classic 335i vs M3 or X5 M-Sport vs X5M and all iterations of such.

When you put fake badges your car, it defeats all purposes of impressing people. The people who know will see you as a poser, the people who don't know, won't care. So who are they impressing anyways? They only look foolish.
      05-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #53
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
guys....M Performance fake tinsels of high performance and M cars are two different experiences, aside from cost of those cars. They drive like completely different cars.

This is a tired out debate of the classic 335i vs M3 or X5 M-Sport vs X5M and all iterations of such.

When you put fake badges your car, it defeats all purposes of impressing people. The people who know will see you as a poser, the people who don't know, won't care. So who are they impressing anyways? They only look foolish.
Essentially the laughing stock of the city. Mayor of #loserville.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #54
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:

Kind of like the people who go out of their way setting up nice vacation pictures for Facebook: attention whores who at the end of the day I still know they are asshats.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #55
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
Kind of like the people who go out of their way setting up nice vacation pictures for Facebook: attention whores who at the end of the day I still know they are asshats.
Is that even remotely similar?

Or are they showing pics of of Miami and pretending that it's Turks and Caicos?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #56
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
More like someone using fake high end brands and its obviously fake.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #57
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Is that even remotely similar?

Or are they showing pics of of Miami and pretending that it's Turks and Caicos?
Turks and Caicos is my favorite spot on this planet)))
      05-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #58
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Terrible anology...Turks is just as run down as South Beach. Better analogy is like having breast implants installed and calling it real.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #59
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
I know right, damn those asshats who have frickin' awesome vacations!!! Attention whores I tell ya!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #60
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

You what you did, Kzang?!?!
This thread had forked so many times, culminating in a silicone discussion.
      05-27-2017, 01:26 AM   #61
Codinchen
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 sDrive35i

Garage List
I've seen this with Mercedes too, people love slapping an AMG badge all over. Every M or AMG badge nets you 5HP, true story.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #62
Jkizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
In all honesty, I'm willing to bet the owner doesn't even have any clue what that ///M badge means. He probably saw the badge on another M car and thought it looks cool and copied it. I'm also willing to bet that he doesn't know what a M car is. If he did, he would have removed the xDrive 35i emblem on the side, blacked out the side window trim and other subtle mods to make it look more like a M car.
I agree with Kzang. This person may not have known the sins they were committing. BMW is kind of responsible for this. Now we have M240's and M 760 il cars that aren't legit M cars but the have badge. You can get M sports and you can get M performance stickers and parts from BMW. The shits getting confusing to me too. On top of that the M badge is a good looking piece even if you don't know the significance behind it. I love the little M badges all over my M sport and in know way do I feel my car is an X5M.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #63
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
So the X5M side vents are a no-no?
Cosmetic changes to your car is fine even if you want the look of the M version. Adding the M badge is off limits especially to base models. Saw this one today visiting a friend. 3.5 but did have the M sport package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #64
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Ok I know I’m beating a dead horse and members are probably so over this thread/topic. But, I just want to ask about this way of thinking. Why are cosmetic changes ok, but adding a ///M badge is a no no. I’ll use the F10 as an example because it’s done quite a bit with this model. You can make a non-M Sport 528i look exactly like a M5. Add a diffuser, change the exhaust, add a spoiler, change the grilles and the front bumper, paint the calipers, etc. Debadge it, but not put the M5 badge on it and you will get mad props. But, on the other hand you can have an M Sport that has “///M” all over it from the factory. Ten to be exact, but if you go and add one more you are ridiculed and called a faker, etc.

BMW has even taken it to another level like with new models like the G30 M550i. Now they have the ///M on the back next to the 550i. on the front quarter panels, and on the brake calipers. I think the ///M has an entirely different meaning to BMW versus the consumer.

Again, let me reiterate I myself would never add a ///M to my cars (although I do have ///M license plate frames on both of my vehicles) and I don’t have a problem with people making cosmetic changes to their vehicles either, to each his own. I’m just trying to understand the rational between the love for one and the hate for the other.

As you can see no extra ///M badges except for the rear license plate frames!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #65
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Ok I know I’m beating a dead horse and members are probably so over this thread/topic. But, I just want to ask about this way of thinking. Why are cosmetic changes ok, but adding a ///M badge is a no no. I’ll use the F10 as an example because it’s done quite a bit with this model. You can make a non-M Sport 528i look exactly like a M5. Add a diffuser, change the exhaust, add a spoiler, change the grilles and the front bumper, paint the calipers, etc. Debadge it, but not put the M5 badge on it and you will get mad props. But, on the other hand you can have an M Sport that has “///M” all over it from the factory. Ten to be exact, but if you go and add one more you are ridiculed and called a faker, etc.

BMW has even taken it to another level like with new models like the G30 M550i. Now they have the ///M on the back next to the 550i. on the front quarter panels, and on the brake calipers. I think the ///M has an entirely different meaning to BMW versus the consumer.

Again, let me reiterate I myself would never add a ///M to my cars (although I do have ///M license plate frames on both of my vehicles) and I don’t have a problem with people making cosmetic changes to their vehicles either, to each his own. I’m just trying to understand the rational between the love for one and the hate for the other.

As you can see no extra ///M badges except for the rear license plate frames!
No real comment except to say that I like your color choices.

Looking good.
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      05-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #66
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Terrible anology...Turks is just as run down as South Beach. Better analogy is like having breast implants installed and calling it real.
Lmao. I'm ok with ur analogy on the boobs.

But the other one...please brother. Stop. You can't compare the two, unless well...stop. There is no comparison. Hence the original analogy.
Appreciate 2
Flying Ace4982.50
artem123248.00