First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Aero Blades Fix?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The side profile and rear view of the F15 is often criticized, and it's my opinion that the gloss black Aero Blades are partially to blame. When I first saw the side profile I thought that the angle of the rearmost side windows were off with respect to the leading edge of the glass in the hatch, but it turns out that this is not the issue. The Aero Blades combine with the curvature of the hatch to produce a wraparound effect, and the result is a less aggressive and seemingly non-BMW styling element.

One thing that might be explored is body-colored Aero Blades. I'm not much of a graphic artist, but I gave it a shot and think that it could work. A possible problem is that it does look a bit MDX or CR-V-ish, with the top looking wider than the bottom. A better artist might be able to illustrate this a bit more, and from other angles.

If these are easy to remove and install, one could imagine having them painted at a shop or exchanged, as is done with grills, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Just goes to show what a sorry state this car is in if its coming to this where creative thinking is required to overcome/hide seriously bad design. Makes the side look even more Toyota / Honda ish than it already does. This is my number one problem with this car. Looks like a kid with no ability to draw properly has got the lines at the back of the car all wrong.

Last edited by XZeb; 08-06-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I think color matched just makes it look worse. If you can take them off to paint, I say just leave them off

The E70 has them too, but never bothered me the way it does on the F15. I've been hoping it looks better in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

agree. its the worst detail from the side view (save for the random fake air duct on the side a la a ford mustang). i wonder if they just went so conservative on slope of back to make sure they kept the market for the X6.
Appreciate 0