Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
does it open when you switch the engine off?
No. These are the only ways I've found to unlock the doors:

1. Press unlock on the key fob. This unlocks all 4 doors per my profile setting.
2. Use the comfort access door handles from the outside, which opens all 4 doors.
3. Press unlock on any interior door panel which opens all 4 doors.
4. Open any door from the inside, which unlocks that specific door.

I've never seen the doors unlock under any other circumstance. If they unlocked when the engine switched to off or the tranny was put into park then the that would be great.
So is the comfort access not opening your rear doors when you go back to get your daughter out?

I've found if I reach for the door to let my son in, letting him walk in front of me and standing far enough back to open the door and not hit him with it..., it's too far away for the comfort access to work. You have to be pretty squared up to the handle. I have to actually have him walk past the rear part of door so I can unlock it, then step back so I can open the door.. He's still too small to let him just walk behind me and climb in without me being behind him.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #24
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest
No, it's called 'tango remote'. Install it on each device and it connects via Bluetooth.
Just found that after your post. It can only play videos that didn't come from iTunes? Or did you find a way around that?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #25
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't buy the vids from iTunes Store, but add them in iTunes app and they play fine. Maybe something to do with apple drm but not been an issue for me. Will check with a freebie download from the store
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Can't play them natively. It states google 'remove drm from iTunes videos' which looks like the workaround.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest
Can't play them natively. It states google 'remove drm from iTunes videos' which looks like the workaround.
Cool thanks. Will have to try that so I can avoid getting smacked with my wife's hip (despite the fact that she's all of 110lbs) every time my son's ipad stops playing a video...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #28
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
No, it's called 'tango remote'. Install it on each device and it connects via Bluetooth.
I haven't tried that - thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #29
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
The "Lock if no door opened" setting wouldn't help in this scenario. It only works if you first lock it with the fob, so you might as well just use the fob to unlock anyway. The way this setting works is if you unlock it, and no door opens within a certain period of time (2 minutes, 5 minutes, I don't remember) it will relock. This is to prevent you from locking your vehicle but as you walk away, accidentally pushing the unlock button as you put your key in your pocket, for instance, and unknowingly leaving your vehicle unlocked. If you do accidentally unlock it, and no door opens, it will relock after a certain period of time. Just a FYI, it does not re-arm the alarm, only relocks the doors. At least that's how it works in my current and previous rides.
Glad that someone who knows this chimed in. Thanks!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas View Post
Great review...
Zip, you mentioned you have dhp. Can you share your opinion about it? You think it's worth the money? I'm sure many people over here want to know.
I like the feature. I tested a non-DHP prior to ordering and noticed a significant difference between the tester and mine in the body roll. But mind you, this is all relative. Someone asked me this prior, and here was my answer:

"I'm coming from an Audi S5, so there might be a bit bias here. Take my opinion with that in mind. I believe the X5 performs as it looks. It's a bit top heavy, drives like a sedan, takes bump pretty well, and corners with moderate body roll. But when you engage the Sport+ mode, things get better. Everything tightens up a bit and throttle response is quicker and each gear held longer. But mind you, it's no sports car. For its size and what it was built to do, it moves VERY well....a lot better than other SUVs in its class."

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #31
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Thanks zip.. When I test drove, I barely felt any body roll with luxury line. But I have ordered dhp and keeping it..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #32
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks zip.. When I test drove, I barely felt any body roll with luxury line. But I have ordered dhp and keeping it..
I don't know how you test drove your F15, but I warned my CA that I'm going to test the stability features of the vehicle so shut up and hold on. So I took some corners pretty hard and squealed the tires a bit and did a mock slalom course in an empty parking lot.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #33
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nice..
I made a few sharp turns but the CA looked terrified so I didn't go too crazy...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #34
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice..
I made a few sharp turns but the CA looked terrified so I didn't go too crazy...
Speaking of crazy test drives...did you see this? There's a full clip if you're interested.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #35
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

That is sooooo funny... I hope you didn't do that to your ca.... Haha
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #36
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia
Quote:
Nice..
Speaking of crazy test drives...did you see this? There's a full clip if you're interested.

Z.
Video is really funny
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
So is the comfort access not opening your rear doors when you go back to get your daughter out?
Correct, even when I have the fob on me it will not unlock her door sometimes. I know the comfort access does work on that door under other circumstances though. Maybe I'm just not standing close enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #38
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
When the roof is tilted up, and just want to close the tilt, is there a way to do this without almost completely closing the sun shade? When I try to close the tilt by clicking the sun roof button forward, the tilt closes, but the sun shade also closes completely. I just want the tilt to close without the sun shade closing.Z.
You're going to smack yourself. You just press it up again, like when you opened it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #39
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwitt View Post
You're going to smack yourself. You just press it up again, like when you opened it.
*Face in palm* Thanks!!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #40
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep

I remembered a few more details and added them to the original post.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #41
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
I remembered a few more details and added them to the original post.
Great additions. Thanks. I ordered the surround cameras because of your comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #42
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Thumbs up

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed post - it's a great help to those of us still in the shopping mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #43
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Yes, I have it set up to open all doors when any unlock button is pressed. Here's the minor complaint I had... when I put the car into park, then open my door (no buttons pressed), then walk back to the rear door to open it for my daughter, her door is locked. If I press my unlock button on the driver door, it will open all locks. I just need to get into the habit of doing that. My Lexus will auto unlock all doors whenever the car transitions to park, so that's just what I'm used to.
Quote:
I also want to be able to close the liftgate with the fob. Several times during the trip this would have been very useful. I know that's available in some countries - why not in the US?? Don't give me any legal BS because my brother's 2014 Ford Explorer has this capability. I've used it myself.
This can be coded with ESYS & a OBDII/ENET Cable

Last edited by pillpusher84; 01-11-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to send directions or address via Google Maps.
Use the "Send to --> Car" option on Google Maps. Input your BMW Assist-registered e-mail address, and it will be sent to Messages in iDrive within 60 seconds.
Appreciate 0