BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #23
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Oh ok, it must be that region specific. Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #24
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

It kind of makes sense why BMW would want to prevent cars being exported to Asian countries. Everyone would start importing their cars from U.S.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #25
Hillstate
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
It kind of makes sense why BMW would want to prevent cars being exported to Asian countries. Everyone would start importing their cars from U.S.
Well I don't know the BMW policy WRT Asian countries. Three things I want to mention.

First, BMW'S pricing policy. American people buying BMW including myself are, in some sense, benefited from overpayment of Asian people. If not this pricing differentiation, we need to pay more for BMW's profit. This is true even after considering Taxation.

Second, Asian countries are highly populated and policies focus on reducing traffic as what happens in LA, NY or San Francisco. Taxation is one of the measures. Singapore, for example, is notorious for its sky pricking tax. You have to pay $80,000 for Hyundai Accent. BMW I don't know. This applies to personal import too. I had to pay about $10,000 import tax because I am staying here more than a year.

Third, I understand that you want to express your opinion. Yes most of them can afford a Bimmer or Mercedes, but they will protest against the pricing gap before trying to import on their own. Your opinion might be interpreted as discriminating and offensive. Careful please.

Finally, I would be very grateful if you can help me solve the problem at hand.

Last edited by Hillstate; 10-04-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #26
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillstate View Post
Well I don't know the BMW policy WRT Asian countries. Three things I want to mention.

First, BMW'S pricing policy. American people buying BMW including myself are, in some sense, benefited from overpayment of Asian people. If not this pricing differentiation, we need to pay more for BMW's profit. This is true even after considering Taxation.

Second, Asian countries are highly populated and policies focus on reducing traffic as what happens in LA, NY or San Francisco. Taxation is one of the measures. Singapore, for example, is notorious for its sky pricking tax. You have to pay $80,000 for Hyundai Accent. BMW I don't know. This applies to personal import too. I had to pay about $10,000 import tax because I am staying here more than a year.

Third, I understand that you want to express your opinion. Yes most of them can afford a Bimmer or Mercedes, but they will protest against the pricing gap before trying to import on their own. Your opinion might be interpreted as discriminating and offensive. Careful please.

I apologize if my comment seemed offensive. That was not my intent. I'm Chinese myself and i understand how pricing works over there. I don't have much to contribute in regards to your situation so all i can say is good luck with your issue and hope it gets solved soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #27
cst1077
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i xDRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillstate View Post

Did you solve problem? I also brought f10 from usa to korea. My bimmer doesnt have transport mode. I want to discuss this isuess with you. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #28
turboawd
Banned
Rep

perhaps unplug the gps antenna and just not have navigation??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #29
destronik
Rep
Drives: X5

I know this post is a bit old but has anyone figured out a solution for this?

I too ran in to similar situation. Bought my 2016 X5 through military auto sales in Germany. Had no issues except my nav only showed a GPS map due to U.S. map being installed. Once I got it to the U.S., I had no issues with my NAV or anything with my iDrive. Drove it in the states for about 1.5 years then shipped it to Seoul, Korea. Once I picked up my vehicle, the iDrive had a blank screen. No radio but climate control worked and heads up display worked. The VPC rep told me this happens sometimes with BMWs being shipped from the states and I should take it to a BMW dealership and they can get it working again.

Took it to one of the dealerships nearby and they were able to get my iDrive restored. Took about 4 hours, didn't really understand the tech on what he did since my Korean isn't too good. While the car was on, I was adjusting the time region to Korea, as soon as I clicked it my screen went blank again. Unfortunately it was late in the day and will have to take it in again tomorrow.

I have a ENET cable but unfortunately that's still in transit with the rest of my household shipment. It seems like most of the BMW dealerships in Seoul near the Yongsan U.S. Army base are familiar with this problem, just wish I knew what the fix action was so I can fix it myself in the future and tell the tech tomorrow what needs to be done exactly so I don't waste hours at the dealership.

On the plus side, it was a $25 charge which they comp'd but I know my neighbor has a 2017 X5 and he said he had the same issue but paid $70 and 4 hour wait as well. If it doesn't get fixed tomorrow might have to find out what dealership my neighbor took it to and get it done there.

Open to any other suggestions and hoping someone has the solution, thanks!

Last edited by destronik; 11-07-2017 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: grammar fix
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
emitemirp
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

I had the same issue. The dealership was able to restore idrive and they also unplugged the GPS antenna to prevent it from locking up again. Living without built in GPS has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #31
destronik
Rep
Drives: X5

So the wife took the X5 back to the dealership to get the iDrive working again. To make the fix permanent until I get back to states, they unplugged the gps as emitemirp mentioned. Hope this helps anyone else that has this issue.

One other piece, when looking for a BMW service center in Korea to get this work done, ensure you ask the place if its a full service dealership. Some are not full service and only perform small maintenance like oil change and tire rotation. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #32
Live4USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport/2016 340XI

I just bought my F15 X5 50i cpo from a dealer in Colorado. I had to sign an agreement that I wouldn’t take the car out of the country for two years. The dealer said it had more to do with preventing international money laundering than actual concern about taking the car to a different country.
Appreciate 0