BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
erdenee79
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f15 2015

Transfer Mode Active...???

Hello Guys,
i have f15 xdrive35i 2015. bought in USA and brought in Mongolia 8 weeks ago. i was driving it for over 600 mile in USA with no problem at all. but after i received my f15 in Mongolia suddenly control display and audio went off. i can still drive as it starts and runs. so i went to the only BMW official shop in my city they programmed(as they said) for 4 hours and it was ok for 30min then went off again. they did 4th times now but still same. i own small auto repair shop myself and tried with computer(Launch X-431 V+) result was 026300 HU-H:TRANSFER MODE ACTIVE. i can delete transfer mode but still goes off after while. any advice would be so appreciated.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I'm wondering if BMW did this intentionally to prevent US cars being exported out of the country. Didn't you have to sign something at the dealer saying something that you can't export the X5 for 2 years after purchase?
      04-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

I think dealer can not export it, but after you bought it you can take it with you, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I am not 100% sure but it may have to do with exporting as a sale and not having to do with exporting due to moving? But yes, dealer asks you to sign a document to not re-export the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12 View Post
I think dealer can not export it, but after you bought it you can take it with you, no problem.
Actually i don't think so. I know a few people who tried to do this and pay for the X5 in cash. BMW would not sell them the car if they even suspect they are going to export it out of the country. All suv's are in hot demand now and its cheaper to export it to china then to buy one there suppsidly.

Since these cars connect via satellite i wouldn't be surprised if they locked out the OP's car on purpose once it connected showing its now out of the US.
      04-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

I am an expert, but that is what the dealer told me, that the dealership can not sell a car outside US, but after it is sold the owner can do whatever.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
erdenee79
Registered
Rep

Yup. That is why i have to wait 2 months to get my title approved can export. So i guess it is not about location or anything legal issue. Bmw shop called this morning said they gotta change some chip or board behind control display and problem should be solved. But i'm bit worried
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

There was a similar case over in bimmerfest a while back if I recall correctly. It was related to "transport mode", however. I'll try to dig it up.

In that case, the car had less power as it was set to mode specific for delivery. I understand that cars are shipped in this mode, but dealers change the setting pre-delivery.

I have also read that all BMW with a self-leveling feature are shipped in transport mode. Also, a note from coding god shawnsheridan from a while back says that while coding, you cannot flash ECUs with motor running. During Flash, E-Sys puts car in Transport mode, and then at at end of flash it brings it out of Transport mode.

If you meant "transport mode" and not a "transfer mode", please search the former as there are some posts out there. I'll try as well.

Last edited by MattBianco; 04-07-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I'll update this post as I find more:

Dealer reset the car, power improved:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045695

""Transit/transport mode" is from a low battery - this is different than "no" battery. As others have said, simply remove the battery and take it inside where you can leave it on a charger."
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=10

Post #469. New F15 goes into transport mode:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...820568&page=19

"Transport mode? Weak battery perhaps, this just happened to me the other day in my M."
Post #3: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705587

On e90 series you could enable or disable transport mode via a cable near the battery.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080681

People discussing how and cost at dealers for removing transport mode on Z4:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=734932

Dealer tells Z4 owner anytime voltage drops the transport mode gets triggered and has to be cleared again:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=613700

Last edited by MattBianco; 04-07-2015 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #10
erdenee79
Registered
Rep

thank you Mattbianco.

Yes it is transport mode. still searching and struggling to get it done
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Hillstate
Rep
Drives: x5

Exact same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdenee79 View Post
Hello Guys,
i have f15 xdrive35i 2015. bought in USA and brought in Mongolia 8 weeks ago. i was driving it for over 600 mile in USA with no problem at all. but after i received my f15 in Mongolia suddenly control display and audio went off. i can still drive as it starts and runs. so i went to the only BMW official shop in my city they programmed(as they said) for 4 hours and it was ok for 30min then went off again. they did 4th times now but still same. i own small auto repair shop myself and tried with computer(Launch X-431 V+) result was 026300 HU-H:TRANSFER MODE ACTIVE. i can delete transfer mode but still goes off after while. any advice would be so appreciated.
Thank you.

I have the exact same issue. I moved X5 xDrive35d F15 to South Korea after 1.7 years stay in US. I received the car with iDrive monitor turned off. Checked with local shop, which told me that the car is in transport mode. I made some calls to several dealerships, most of whom don't know the issue, and a couple of whom told me that the car will keep going into the "Transport Mode" as the Navigation system thinks the car is in the ocean according to GPS cordination - U.S. version X5 only has the U.S. map, and outside of it is considered as "Ocean", and the car automatically locks it into "Transport Mode".

So, the suggested solution is that they open the headliner to disconnect the GPS plug from the fin on the top, and then delete the error messages - "transport mode" is considered as an error, and when in "transport mode" ABS, Radio, Airbag, and other electronically controled devices go into 'error'.

I don't like the idea of physically unplugging the GPS, as I want my car intact as well as I want to track the location of my car from time to time. and also the labor cost is expensive.

My question: is there a way of disabling GPS by coding? or is there a way of fixing the issue for the navigation to assume that the car is in the ocean without disconnecting GPS?

I am not worried about the big brother watching me. I am saying this because most of the responses to the question of disabling GPS are something like this: "If you don't have criminal intent, why the hell do you need to do so?" I have no such intent, and I prefer to keep the GPS alive. All I need is to use my parking assistance as well as other stuff that I can do with iDrive.

Experts, please help.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Isn't it possible to overwrite the North American maps in the Nav system with the ones for the appropriate area so the car knows where it now is?
Or is this part of BMW's solution to render useless, cars that are being stolen in various parts of the world to be shipped to other areas.....?

I know a lot of the X5's stolen in the UK (X5 is most stolen car in UK ) were ending up in Africa and other areas outside of Europe.
      10-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

You can definitely overwrite existing Maps or Gracenotes for another region.
You can also change the FA codes and regional settings.
You can disable the GPS by coding, but then you would not be able to use it for maps or BMW Apps.

Lastly, there are ISTA functions for transport mode, but I do not personally know much about them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

The dealership, not BMW NA, made me sign a 1-year no export agreement primarily since they are not an export dealer. I have no idea why or how BMW would expect to maintain control of a car they don't own. So unless they're holding the title, BMW should piss off

Last edited by RR-NYC; 10-01-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Hillstate
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You can definitely overwrite existing Maps or Gracenotes for another region.
You can also change the FA codes and regional settings.
You can disable the GPS by coding, but then you would not be able to use it for maps or BMW Apps.

Lastly, there are ISTA functions for transport mode, but I do not personally know much about them.
Thanks for the good news. It looks like overwriting the existing map with my local map is the best option for me as it would allow me to use GPS and navigation system and BMW apps.
The problem is that I have no idea what you meant and how I can implement.
I will have to do my homework to figure out what hardware - I know that I need a port to connect to the car - and software I need to do the coding. it would be great if you or anyone can give me some tips about this. In the mean time, would you let me know:

- What is Gracenotes? http://www.gracenote.com/ is this it? it looks like entertainment center or so.
- Where do you get the new map to overwrite the existing map? Even so, how do I overwirte it?
- What are FA codes?
- What is ISTA? It looks like a software, but do I need to buy it? if so, where would you suggest? Removing "Transport Mode" error code can be an easy task, it can be done by a dealership. Is this software good and recommended for other codings?
- How to disable the GPS by coding? If nothing works for me, I think I have to disable GPS and not use navigation system.

Sorry for the bunch of questions. It's been 3 weeks with dark screen. And now I have some hopes. Thanks for your help and for further help.
BTW, if you are precautious of posting the codes here, as they can be misused, here is my email address: l..a..w..s..j..@ (without dots)
hanmail.....net (one dot) - I am a newvy. Is giving an email address against the policy of bimmerpost?

Thanks gurus.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillstate View Post
Thanks for the good news. It looks like overwriting the existing map with my local map is the best option for me as it would allow me to use GPS and navigation system and BMW apps.
The problem is that I have no idea what you meant and how I can implement.
I will have to do my homework to figure out what hardware - I know that I need a port to connect to the car - and software I need to do the coding. it would be great if you or anyone can give me some tips about this. In the mean time, would you let me know:

- What is Gracenotes? http://www.gracenote.com/ is this it? it looks like entertainment center or so.
- Where do you get the new map to overwrite the existing map? Even so, how do I overwirte it?
- What are FA codes?
- What is ISTA? It looks like a software, but do I need to buy it? if so, where would you suggest? Removing "Transport Mode" error code can be an easy task, it can be done by a dealership. Is this software good and recommended for other codings?
- How to disable the GPS by coding? If nothing works for me, I think I have to disable GPS and not use navigation system.

Sorry for the bunch of questions. It's been 3 weeks with dark screen. And now I have some hopes. Thanks for your help and for further help.
BTW, if you are precautious of posting the codes here, as they can be misused, here is my email address: l..a..w..s..j..@ (without dots)
hanmail.....net (one dot) - I am a newvy. Is giving an email address against the policy of bimmerpost?

Thanks gurus.
You will need an ENET cable for coding and diagnostics of an F-series.
ISTA+ is diagnostic and programming software.
E-sys is used for coding.
For Maps, check out this thread.
Gracenotes provides information (eg, track names, cd images, genres, etc) for USB and CD media.

FA is german for Vehicle Order. You can check your vin and see option lists.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
Hillstate
Rep

Getting difficult

In another thread:

"The main problem is your car is U.S. Spec'd and not Asian Spec'd, which means you could not easily load any Asian Map to it (i.e. Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, or Hong Kong). The only way to accomplish this would be to convert your NBT Head Unit to Asian Spec by flashing it with modified FA with Koran Country Controller in it, but I think it would also change language and other aspects of the iDrive as well."

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ighlight=korea

Now it's getting seriously difficult for me.
I know what NBT Head Unit is.
But, "flashing it? with "modified FA"? with "Koran Country Controller"?
What the... do these mean?

And I also checked several threads about map update, Korean map is very rare, if any.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
This is why people go through "official" grey market imports instead of doing it this themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillstate View Post
Now it's getting seriously difficult for me.
I know what NBT Head Unit is.
But, "flashing it? with "modified FA"? with "Koran Country Controller"?
What the... do these mean?
Think he mean "Korean" not "Koran"

Very basically he is saying you code the car to believe it came from the factory as a Korea version.

The FA contains all the options information from the factory.
      10-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
Hillstate
Rep

How is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Think he mean "Korean" not "Koran"

Very basically he is saying you code the car to believe it came from the factory as a Korea version.

The FA contains all the options information from the factory.

That's right. He meant Korean.
I saw the FA showing options - a good information to know. But how do I change it, how do I fool the car computer that it was meant to be used in Korea?

Say, I successfully flash the car computer, but I don't have Korean version controller. That's huge problem. Either I go pirate or buy.

If coding is possible to deactivate GPS or Navigation, and so the car doesn't think it is in transport, then I will be able to use the screen, theoretically. I prefer this relatively easy way. Can anyone let me know how to code, I mean the specific coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I don't see how or why this is an issue. I had my 2015 X6 (US spec) delivered to Germany brand new, then they loaded European maps, zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I don't see how or why this is an issue. I had my 2015 X6 (US spec) delivered to Germany brand new, then they loaded European maps, zero issues.
I could be wrong but I think it is specific to the Asian countries since the price of the BMW is either doubled or triple the cost of owning one here in the states.