BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Whazzup@NJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 GC

New build -- help please, soon

About to build an X5 35d and have a few questions. I like M Sport for the steering wheel and the seats. I anticipate ordering the M Adaptive suspension. How different is this from DHP? And, for a better "bang for the buck" on handling and comfort, would I be better served by an X Line with DHP vs M Sport with M Adaptive? I like to hit on-ramps with gusto, but most of my driving is boring, commuting miles.

Second, what to do about a hitch? Need a hitch simply for a bike rack. The factory hitch cost is insane, and I don't have the time or skills to install myself. There is no Hidden Hitch installer within 90 miles. What have people done? U-Haul? If it helps, I am in NJ and I can go anywhere in Monmouth or Ocean County.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

I was hoping someone with direct knowledge would answer you. I hate to see a forum member go unanswered, so I will give you what I can.

I have not looked at the 2018 order guide, but in 2017, the "M" package (ZMP) for the 35d X5 was primarily cosmetic, but did give you the 2TB Sport Automatic Transmission and the option for the 2VF Adaptive M Suspension with rear axle air suspension.

The adaptive suspension gives you selectable computer controlled damper settings (firmness) and if you order the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) with the ZMP, requires the Adaptive M Suspension (2VF).

Best I can tell, the ZDH package would add Dynamic Performance Control and Active Roll Stabilization (2VP) to either the X Line or M variants.

I have no first hand experience with the Dynamic Handling Package, but those that have it swear they will never buy another X5 without it. All this really comes down to what you really want from the handling of the car.

If you want the absolute best stock handling from BMW, then check the boxes for ZMP and ZDH which not only will firm up the suspension when you want to, but will minimize the body roll (2VP). If you opt for the X Line with Dynamic Handling, you will still have improved dampers, just not as firm as the Adaptive M as I understand it.

FWIW, I wish I had checked the box for the Dynamic Handling Package. The standard suspension is great, but when I am out in the mountains, I do notice the body roll is more than I wish it was when driving spirited.

As far as the hitch, Exucuhitch's Invisihitch is hands down the best hitch for the BMW X5.

http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x5-and-x5m/

The install is very easy, but if you did not want to do it yourself, any qualified mechanic should be able to easily handle it. For the price difference, I would highly recommend just getting the full package with the OEM BMW wire harness. You never know how handy it may come in. I've used mine to tow close to 6,000 lbs with no issues.

Hope this helps; good luck!
Appreciate 0