BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Ordering a new car on the production line... any discounts to be had?

Hey guys,

just from your past experiences, is there any discounts to be had when ordering a car right off the line as opposed to whatever they have in stock?

Will be ordering a 2017 X5 Diesel pretty soon but will be our first off the line car.

I'm in Canada if that matters!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R
Hey guys,

just from your past experiences, is there any discounts to be had when ordering a car right off the line as opposed to whatever they have in stock?

Will be ordering a 2017 X5 Diesel pretty soon but will be our first off the line car.

You may get more discounts or better negotiations by purchasing a car off the lot, but it may not be optioned to your specific needs or wants. Or you may get lucky and find one with the color and option you are specifically looking for. Personally, I prefer to order my cars knowing that the car will have exactly what I want and what I don't want. I also think taking delivery of a ordered car provides a special moment and feeling on that day.
      08-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Hey guys,

Discounts for stock vehicles start to become available if the car stays longer without a sale or if the dealer has plenty of stock. With Diesel, the stock is limited atleast here in U.S. I'm in the same boat looking for a 35D M sport with some specific options and unfortunately couldn't find any. So am about to close a deal on a used 2015 X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

You can definitely negotiate a custom-order, especially on a mass-produced car like the X5 (not so much on something that is rare right now like an M2). Sure dealers are motivated to negotiate to keep vehicles moving off their lot, but with a custom order, the dealer saves a ton of money by not having to ever insure & finance the vehicle since it hasn't been sitting in their inventory (dealers don't buy the cars from BMW with cash, they finance them). So they're basically just taking a fee for processing your order. And if BMW is offering the dealer incentives for each vehicle they sell, that's just extra cash in their pocket for processing a vehicle order (dealer incentive amounts are almost impossible to find out unless you know someone working at BMW willing to disclose that to you but they usually have them on almost every vehicle out there).

In Nov of 2015 I negotiated 14% off of MSRP for a custom ordered 2016 X5 from the factory. Now that included several rebates from BMWFS which didn't affect the dealer's costs or profit at all. First, I negotiated down to $200 over invoice, and THEN I got the option credit, BMWFS' Loyalty rebate, and a USAA member rebate through BMWFS (they essentially matched USAA's rebate in order to entice me to finance through BMWFS instead of USAA).

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 08-12-2016 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

You can usually get around 10% discount on list price when ordering new cars here in Sweden at least. If buying as a company even more.
Appreciate 0