BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
lyssolimine
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40e Plug-In Hybrid

X5 40e Plug In Hybrid

Hi There! I have a 2016 X5 40e plug-in hybrid purchased from a third party dealership and serviced through both BMW and third party mechanics. I purchased this vehicle 2 years ago (May of 2021) and it now has ~95K miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, it stopped running at a red light. After having it diagnosed 3x at BMW and 2 other third party mechanics, the diagnosis remains the same... catastrophic engine failure probably related to internal bearing failure.

This vehicle has the N20 engine in it, which after some research, I have found was under lawsuit due to a faulty plastic timing chain guide, however, the 2016 X5 40e hybrid vehicle was not included in this ruling. That being said, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues such as this and if it could be worth re-opening the lawsuit?

Although owned previously, I have looked up the carfax and found service records that show regular maintenance and no accidents/damage. I personally service this vehicle regularly as well. Why is this happening? BMW is taking no responsibility. When I called corporate, they basically would not give me any information because it was purchased and serviced through third parties.

Anyone purchase and service through BMW and have any insight into this?? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I was quoted $25K for engine replacement from BMW... trying to determine if replacing the engine is even worth it? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

I'm not sure that bearing failure (bottom end) vs time chain guide failure (top end) are the same catastrophic engine destruction. Though dying at a stoplight sounds more like it jumped timing via a time chain issue. A bearing failure would start to make knocking noise or be a little more dramatic when it died.

Do you have any more detail as to what bearing failed?

You can pull the oil filter and look for glitter or you can also send an oil sample off for analysis ($35) and that should help to give you insight as to what happened based on the types of metals found.

For $25K, I would opt to replace 40e X5 with a non-hybrid version. Even if you buy a cheap used replacement motor, how long before your hybrid batteries give up the ghost.

This situation is a bummer none the less and I wish you luck.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
lyssolimine
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40e Plug-In Hybrid

Additional Info

Hi Clifton, thank you for the information. The representative at BMW corporate mentioned that when he spoke to the dealership they diagnosed it as internal bearing failure, however, when we spoke to the dealership, they did not have a definitive cause as they did not crack open the engine. When it broke down for us... we started feeling a rumbling when we were stopped at stop lights. The check engine light came on and there was an evap code. We needed the vehicle that week, so we planned to bring it in the next week. Unfortunately it didn't last that long. The rumbling got worse, and then when it switched from electric only mode to the mechanical engine, that is when it died (could not switch into the mechanical engine mode). Right now it will run on electric only mode, but only for about 20 miles, which is the capacity of that mode.

We did find metal in the oil as well. Many different types of metals, per the mechanics diagnosing the issue. And a lot of it! There were different colors (brass, aluminum, etc.) so they could tell there were several different metals in the oil.

Not sure if this gives any additional insight!
Appreciate 0