BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2021, 07:22 AM   #133
R4yF15
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Excellent. That is what i like to hear Finding the problem and completing the project your own is the best thing. And next time you will do it all your own

There is no one gonna work as good as yourself since it belongs to you. Others just work for you. There is some really works good, some just side tracks and does not do a good job.

But i am glad you sorted out and now you have a very advance feature! Congrat!
True enough. I was skeptical that I could do this alone at first, hence getting assistance from the tech.

But to be honest, none of the tech knew what they were doing. Even for DSC changeout to DSC ACC was unsuccessful on the first try as they didn't have ISTA+. They were using ProTools which isn't suited to BMWs.

Well very few 3rd party workshops here uses ISTA+ and ESys anyway and those who does, charges exorbitantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
pretty sure I have parking assistant
U need to have Esys 3.30 (for CAFD injection and flashing) and ISTA+ (for initialization, troubleshooting etc.) running on your pc first.

Then u can check via Esys KIS/SVT calculations for actual hardware against target hardware to get definite answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #134
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
pretty sure I have parking assistant
Seems like it is gonna be easy retrofit then
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #135
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4yF15 View Post
True enough. I was skeptical that I could do this alone at first, hence getting assistance from the tech.

But to be honest, none of the tech knew what they were doing. Even for DSC changeout to DSC ACC was unsuccessful on the first try as they didn't have ISTA+. They were using ProTools which isn't suited to BMWs.

Well very few 3rd party workshops here uses ISTA+ and ESys anyway and those who does, charges exorbitantly

U need to have Esys 3.30 (for CAFD injection and flashing) and ISTA+ (for initialization, troubleshooting etc.) running on your pc first.

Then u can check via Esys KIS/SVT calculations for actual hardware against target hardware to get definite answer.
Well you got the idea

If i am Pro in BMW world today, i owe big time to "BMW Techs"
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #136
R4yF15
Rep

Finally everything has been completed.

Installed the bimmer8 HOD module as per the instruction and did the 5AR coding (VO code for ICM module, the rest FDL editing since I've followed instructions from bimmer8).

I've managed to use the TJA for a single journey of 350km mix 60% highway and 40% town driving. Here is my observation;
1. I've enabled TJA max speed to 99kmh but when i set ACC to say 110kmh, it will still engage when u are following vehicle at <99kmh.
2. My TJA steering response at 99kmh was very good, not much swaying and it seems to steer within lines even though car in front keep on veering left to right. The only drawback is when u have curvy road that require close to 1/4 turn then it will disengage.
3. It can even follow motorcycles for town driving which is quite impressive.
4. For most of town driving, the car could not identify road lane markings (left and right) but TJA works just fine by following front car/motorcycle.
5. Managed to use the TJA in rainy weather and works just fine except for when it's really heavy, the sensor deactivated by itself with warning on IDrive saying "sensor could not be activated, keep safe distance" error message.

Well I couldn't be more pleased with the results and seeing myself will be using this function more often than not.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia996.50
      11-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #137
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Finally everything has been completed.

Installed the bimmer8 HOD module as per the instruction and did the 5AR coding (VO code for ICM module, the rest FDL editing since I've followed instructions from bimmer8).

I've managed to use the TJA for a single journey of 350km mix 60% highway and 40% town driving. Here is my observation;
1. I've enabled TJA max speed to 99kmh but when i set ACC to say 110kmh, it will still engage when u are following vehicle at <99kmh.
2. My TJA steering response at 99kmh was very good, not much swaying and it seems to steer within lines even though car in front keep on veering left to right. The only drawback is when u have curvy road that require close to 1/4 turn then it will disengage.
3. It can even follow motorcycles for town driving which is quite impressive.
4. For most of town driving, the car could not identify road lane markings (left and right) but TJA works just fine by following front car/motorcycle.
5. Managed to use the TJA in rainy weather and works just fine except for when it's really heavy, the sensor deactivated by itself with warning on IDrive saying "sensor could not be activated, keep safe distance" error message.

Well I couldn't be more pleased with the results and seeing myself will be using this function more often than not.
Great feature period!

I rent a Subaru Legacy during Universal trip, it had advance 2 KAFAS camera side of the rear view mirrors, i was able to drive 100mhp with TJA and it response super accurate. That is why 5AU > 5AT
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:15 PM   #138
R4yF15
Rep

Quote:
Great feature period!

I rent a Subaru Legacy during Universal trip, it had advance 2 KAFAS camera side of the rear view mirrors, i was able to drive 100mhp with TJA and it response super accurate. That is why 5AU > 5AT
Yes I thought that too myself. If the Lane Keep Assist / Steering Assistant (or even 5AU) can be coded to F-series then it would be a much better driving experience.

I'm trying to increase the TJA speed limit to more than 99kmh see if that can be worked out. But since it doesn't have LKA so ur hand should always be on the steering for quick intervention.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #139
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes I thought that too myself. If the Lane Keep Assist / Steering Assistant (or even 5AU) can be coded to F-series then it would be a much better driving experience.

I'm trying to increase the TJA speed limit to more than 99kmh see if that can be worked out. But since it doesn't have LKA so ur hand should always be on the steering for quick intervention.
It is not about coding. G series (Also F90 and F95 which considered G) uses Kafas High and FRR-02 . Kafas High comes with 3 camera which watches the road alot more advance than our KAFAS 2 with single camera. Plus FRR-02 is way more advance ultrasonic device than FRR-01 which makes the Driving Assistant Pro much more reliable and professional.

I believe it is possible to upgrade that 2 on our vehicle. But the issue is you will need FSC codes for the KAFAS High. I am not sure if our ICM will support this even with 2021 software update which i have already done.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #140
R4yF15
Rep

Quote:
It is not about coding. G series (Also F90 and F95 which considered G) uses Kafas High and FRR-02 . Kafas High comes with 3 camera which watches the road alot more advance than our KAFAS 2 with single camera. Plus FRR-02 is way more advance ultrasonic device than FRR-01 which makes the Driving Assistant Pro much more reliable and professional.

I believe it is possible to upgrade that 2 on our vehicle. But the issue is you will need FSC codes for the KAFAS High. I am not sure if our ICM will support this even with 2021 software update which i have already done.
Well anyone up for that challenge?

Anyway as an update, I've increased TJA speed limit to 149kmh and funnily the dashboard message would show "TJA available up to >9kmh" when it's activated. Somehow beyond 99kmh it will start to show funny symbol instead of the actual numbers. Expected as other thread reported the same finding.

On the driving experience however, I am glad to report that it worked pretty well on highway. I did cruising at 110kmh when I activated the TJA and both road marker lines was identified as well as the car in front was recognised as usual with good weather outside.

The steering didn't veer much when it followed the car in front on the left most lane (we are following UK roads and it is expected as car in front was managing his line quite well). Things got more interesting when the front car switched to the right lane to overtake, TJA system recognized this and as it tried to swerve to the right lane just before it hits the road line markings, the system buzzed and turned off saying typical lane too narrow message.

I did this scenario few times over the 300km drive and can confidently says that the system will intervene and disabled itself when it tries to follow front car going outside current lane.

In overall, the cruising experience felt much more relaxed at 110kmh highway speed as I started to trust the system. At higher speed however it felt a bit overwhelmed as the auto steering couldn't keep up with more than 5degree turn (estimated).

A bit lengthy post but just sharing in case anyone wanted to try higher speed for that long highway drive ahead.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #141
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Thanks for sharing. I will never going to trust KAFAS2 over 60 mph in the state since lanes are alot wider than european autobahn. I am good with 63 limit.

Quote:

Anyway as an update, I've increased TJA speed limit to 149kmh and funnily the dashboard message would show "TJA available up to >9kmh" when it's activated. Somehow beyond 99kmh it will start to show funny symbol instead of the actual numbers. Expected as other thread reported the same finding.

On the driving experience however, I am glad to report that it worked pretty well on highway. I did cruising at 110kmh when I activated the TJA and both road marker lines was identified as well as the car in front was recognised as usual with good weather outside.

The steering didn't veer much when it followed the car in front on the left most lane (we are following UK roads and it is expected as car in front was managing his line quite well). Things got more interesting when the front car switched to the right lane to overtake, TJA system recognized this and as it tried to swerve to the right lane just before it hits the road line markings, the system buzzed and turned off saying typical lane too narrow message.

I did this scenario few times over the 300km drive and can confidently says that the system will intervene and disabled itself when it tries to follow front car going outside current lane.

In overall, the cruising experience felt much more relaxed at 110kmh highway speed as I started to trust the system. At higher speed however it felt a bit overwhelmed as the auto steering couldn't keep up with more than 5degree turn (estimated).

A bit lengthy post but just sharing in case anyone wanted to try higher speed for that long highway drive ahead.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:24 AM   #142
11earl
Private
Rep
Drives: Don. Grey/Mugello Red X5 M

Hi -

I would love to install this mod but am totally intimidated by the work :-).

Is there someone in MA, USA who is interested in installing it on my '16?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:14 AM   #143
amritbanerjee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

You seem to be from Australia?

Btw I already have ACC and my VIN is WBAKS420400J64078. Can i code TJA only with the Steering mod from ebay or am I missing some sensors etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #144
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Unbelievable mod…wow!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia996.50
      01-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #145
R4yF15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritbanerjee View Post
You seem to be from Australia?

Btw I already have ACC and my VIN is WBAKS420400J64078. Can i code TJA only with the Steering mod from ebay or am I missing some sensors etc?
No I am from Malaysia actually.

And yes u can. U just need the TJA module + codings to make TJA work. Simple enough imo
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 05:07 AM   #146
Napas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f11 520d m

hello SaNGRia

In reality how much canbus cable did you spend ?
I have a few meters with copper ofc from BMW but the longest i have is 5M= 16 feet

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 08:52 PM   #147
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napas View Post
hello SaNGRia

In reality how much canbus cable did you spend ?
I have a few meters with copper ofc from BMW but the longest i have is 5M= 16 feet

Thank you!
Hey, I used about 2,5meter in total
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #148
JaysonGoh
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hi, I’m planning to retrofit ACC to my F30. My car come with Adaptive Suspension and HUD and my ICM version is v7.3 part number 34526867170. May I know will my ICM work with the ACC retrofit or I should look for a ICM v5.4? I hope someone can give me info regarding this retrofit, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #149
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonGoh View Post
Hi, I’m planning to retrofit ACC to my F30. My car come with Adaptive Suspension and HUD and my ICM version is v7.3 part number 34526867170. May I know will my ICM work with the ACC retrofit or I should look for a ICM v5.4? I hope someone can give me info regarding this retrofit, thanks!
ICM is fine. Do u have Parking Assist?
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 06:13 AM   #150
JaysonGoh
Rep

Quote:
ICM is fine. Do u have Parking Assist?
No, I don’t have parking assist would that be my ICM not compatible? Based on my research I need ACC Radar, ABS pump, ABS wheel speed sensor, steering wheel with ACC control button and last which I’m unsure about is the ICM. Because most of the people is recommend getting V5.4 that’s why I’m a bit confused if mine ICM can work it out or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 06:17 AM   #151
JaysonGoh
Rep

And regarding the ACC Radar module, can I get other chassis to work in my F30? Example can I buy a used Radar which original dismantle from a 5 series with BE2 on the label to use it on my F30?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:13 PM   #152
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

BE2 is correct. No need new steering wheel just get emulator for HOD. U need DSC ACC. Your ICM is good! 5.4 and up is compatible!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #153
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Hats off to you two. Brave and helpful to the BMW community. It's a very interesting challenge despite being visually daunting. Wouldn't mind tackling if there is an end-to-end DIY. Having said that, not all F85 and F86 configuration and equipment levels are the same.

Well done!

06-10-2023, 06:04 AM   #154
JaysonGoh
Rep

Quote:
BE2 is correct. No need new steering wheel just get emulator for HOD. U need DSC ACC. Your ICM is good! 5.4 and up is compatible!
Ok bro, so basically BE2 from any chassis is able to use on my F30 right. Do I need to flash it or code it to my chassis or VO code BE2 Radar already do the trick?

I guess I can start hunting for parts already
Just I wasn’t too sure about ICM because some member in the forum said I need to use ICM v5.6 and I checked my ICM part number it was stated as ICM Plus instead of High
Appreciate 0