Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

Snap in adapter?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone familiar with the snap in adapter for the iPhone? Is it worth the money? What does it really do?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^BugRX
unsure if you saw this thread started by Jason:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814703
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I've been wondering the same thing. Here's my question:

If I don't use a snap-in adapter do I give up any functionality of the phone other than the fact that it can use the car's antenna? (assuming I connect the phone via bluetooth)

someguy
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

another similar question: can I plug the phone in somewhere with some kind of a USB cable and get the same functionality? My main issue is not the (rather expensive) price of the snap-in adapter, but is the fact that I keep my phone in a case and wouldn't want to screw with removing the case to put it in the adapter and then put it back on when I get out of the car.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Yes. There is a USB port in the center console between the front seats. As far as I know, it gives the same functionality as the snap in adapter except for not having any connection the vehicle's antenna.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
Yes. There is a USB port in the center console between the front seats. As far as I know, it gives the same functionality as the snap in adapter except for not having any connection the vehicle's antenna.
Not exactly. You need the media adapter to fully utilize 6NR (BMW Apps, standard on the F15).

When snapped in, you can natively control your library and interact with select applications. With the USB connection, your iPhone's library (and Pandora) will mount/display like any disk (USB, etc.) would.

Now- having used iPhone's extensively with/without. Not clear to me that the adapter is worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Not exactly. You need the media adapter to fully utilize 6NR (BMW Apps, standard on the F15).

When snapped in, you can natively control your library and interact with select applications. With the USB connection, your iPhone's library (and Pandora) will mount/display like any disk (USB, etc.) would.

Now- having used iPhone's extensively with/without. Not clear to me that the adapter is worth the money.
When the iPhone is connected via USB, you can't control the apps (ie. Pandora, Stitcher, etc) through the car?

Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
When the iPhone is connected via USB, you can't control the apps (ie. Pandora, Stitcher, etc) through the car?

Z.
If so (which I can't imagine) that would be profoundly retarded...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
If so (which I can't imagine) that would be profoundly retarded...
Not really, because some cars will give minimal control (Forward, back, stop/pause), whereas fully integrated ones will give you a lot more control...almost akin to the native app.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Not really, because some cars will give minimal control (Forward, back, stop/pause), whereas fully integrated ones will give you a lot more control...almost akin to the native app.

Z.
What a mess this appears to be:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470732

Link to the IPhone 5S compatible cradle ($250) - says that video out is now supported, as well as use of the shark fin antenna and "full integration" with BMW Apps.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...NAP-IN-ADAPTER
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

I think the only way to sort this is to have a person with iPhone 5/5S with a USB connector report what is capable and what is not, and compare that with someone who has the snap in adapter with the same iPhone.

I didn't purchase the adapter, but I believe it's can be installed by the dealer so not a big deal if I didn't get it initially.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I suspect that the cradle has a chip in it that communicates directly with the MOST/CDC system in the vehicle and facilitates the "advanced" features and fin antenna connection.

I need to research more to see what the limits are for USB/Bluetooth connectivity alone as this is not entirely clear at the moment.

The cradle is nice, but seems like it may be a PITA if it doesn't allow easy use with thick phone cases.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

I found it on ebay for $209. Anyone know if it requires a dealer to install or can you do it yourself? Would video playback include video to Rear Entertainment Screens?

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

The antenna amplification is actually simpler than that- the dock physically hugs the external antenna on the iPhone (as opposed using the lightening connector).

And again, cable alone allows streaming of media as if the connected device is a mounted disk (it's agnostic between iOS, Android, WiMo, etc.)...plenty of utility, if music is your primary desire....but you'll need the dock for near-native iOS control.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Takes 10 seconds to install. The plastic piece currently in the console pops out, dock pops in.

Also- it comes with a CPU fan, helps in keeping the iPhone cool under charging/usage.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #16
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Has anyone tried USB vs. adapter yet? What the differences are?

Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
USB vs Adapter:

OK, from a developer perspective there is no physical difference between the USB to iPhone hookup, and the Snapin adapter.

The only physical difference is that the shark fin antenna is usable with the snap in.

Result: No difference. Use an official Apple USB cable. You can then use apps, full music control etc.

Adapter/USB vs Bluetooth:

Apple's implementation of Bluetooth is fairly restricted. It's only technically possible to access fairly limited data, including the current playing track, simple contacts etc. At this point (latest release of iOS7) it's not possible for BMW Apps to be controlled or interact via Bluetooth.

According to the docs for iDrive 4.2, they are now using a new protocol from Apple that allows music navigation / playlist exploring etc via Bluetooth - so this should be more functional than prior model generations.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Do they make one for an iPod Touch?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
HawaiiX5
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5 X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
USB vs Adapter:

OK, from a developer perspective there is no physical difference between the USB to iPhone hookup, and the Snapin adapter.

The only physical difference is that the shark fin antenna is usable with the snap in.

Result: No difference. Use an official Apple USB cable. You can then use apps, full music control etc.

Apple's implementation of Bluetooth is fairly restricted. It's only technically possible to access fairly limited data, including the current playing track, simple contacts etc. At this point (latest release of iOS7) it's not possible for BMW Apps to be controlled or interact via Bluetooth.

According to the docs for iDrive 4.2, they are now using a new protocol from Apple that allows music navigation / playlist exploring etc via Bluetooth - so this should be more functional than prior model generations.

Will the USB allow full integration with contacts and text messages?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiX5 View Post
Will the USB allow full integration with contacts and text messages?
On iPhone, no. Everything is secured so it's basically inaccessible (although BMW could do this with the app).

Contacts sync via Bluetooth (albeit with no contact images). Apple's implementation of the "MAP" bluetooth protocol actually only transfers "Notification Center" messages. So, the net net, if you've got messages showing in notification center they'll turn up on iDrive via bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #21
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
USB vs Adapter:

Best explanation ever. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0