Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Substantial problem with new X5

Vehicle: 2014 BMW X5 50i
M Sport
Dynamic Handling
Active Steering
Mileage: 3,548 miles
Warning Light: Chassis Error / Vehicle stabilization: Pull over and shut engine off.

The error was from a hole in the power steering line. The big problem was that my dealer / service department could not get the part for almost a week. I had it in the shop on 2/18 and they ordered the part the same day, but they did not get it until the afternoon of 2/24. I was all fixed up and out the door the next afternoon on 2/25.

Report from the tech:

Vehicle came in with warning light on. Vehicle stabilization pull over and shut engine off. Pulled vehicle into shop and noticed a trail of power steering fluid on the floor leaking from the car. Put car in the air. Could see fluids all over but could not see where fluid was coming from. Took LF wheel off along with the LF wheel line and other pieces that were holding the liner up. Took engine cover off and air box along with engine fan and front strut bar. Refilled power steering reservoir and started vehicle. Noticed power steering line from the power steering pump running along the front of the engine was rubbing up against the AC compressor when vehicle was on and engine was spinning. Removed the front under panels. Removed and replace power steering line that had a hole cut in the line from rubbing up on the AC compressor when line was pressurized. Replaced line and re-aligned and secured it so it will no longer be loose and rub up against AC compressor or any other belt or spinning component. Put everything back together all panels and fan. Filled power steering system back up. Filled cooling system due to removed coolant hose to access PS line. Test drove. OK.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

Did you feel the steering wheel get stiffer on turns before this incident?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners
Did you feel the steering wheel get stiffer on turns before this incident?
Careful, if you answer yes, some people will surely cut a hole in their power steering line
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
BMW has had considerable issues with their recently upgraded 8 cylinder engines with the 550hp... don't be surprised if you start seeing recalled. My co-workers son leased a 650xi GC and less than 100 miles the engine seized. A friend of a friend purchased an X5 50i like yours and less than 25 miles in the engine seized. BMW is doing 'substitution of collateral' on these vehicles.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresM3 View Post
Vehicle: 2014 BMW X5 50i
M Sport
Dynamic Handling
Active Steering
Mileage: 3,548 miles
Warning Light: Chassis Error / Vehicle stabilization: Pull over and shut engine off.

The error was from a hole in the power steering line. The big problem was that my dealer / service department could not get the part for almost a week. I had it in the shop on 2/18 and they ordered the part the same day, but they did not get it until the afternoon of 2/24. I was all fixed up and out the door the next afternoon on 2/25.

Report from the tech:

Vehicle came in with warning light on. Vehicle stabilization pull over and shut engine off. Pulled vehicle into shop and noticed a trail of power steering fluid on the floor leaking from the car. Put car in the air. Could see fluids all over but could not see where fluid was coming from. Took LF wheel off along with the LF wheel line and other pieces that were holding the liner up. Took engine cover off and air box along with engine fan and front strut bar. Refilled power steering reservoir and started vehicle. Noticed power steering line from the power steering pump running along the front of the engine was rubbing up against the AC compressor when vehicle was on and engine was spinning. Removed the front under panels. Removed and replace power steering line that had a hole cut in the line from rubbing up on the AC compressor when line was pressurized. Replaced line and re-aligned and secured it so it will no longer be loose and rub up against AC compressor or any other belt or spinning component. Put everything back together all panels and fan. Filled power steering system back up. Filled cooling system due to removed coolant hose to access PS line. Test drove. OK.
Your battery is drained most likely. Charge the battery and it will go away.
      09-13-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
code505
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 XF 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Your battery is drained most likely. Charge the battery and it will go away.
can you please explain how the battery can affect and breakdown the compressor, because I think I had the same problem, I used a Waeco refrigerator which was plugged to 12 volts outlet, in the trunk of my X5 for journey for 5 days, which I think drained the battery, but the car didn't had any issue with startup for all of my journey, but after about 1 moth, my A/C compressor failed for no apparent reason, and my dealer changed it under warranty, but I don't want to have the same issue again.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

You have hydraulic steering? I thought they went with electric power steering on the new X5.
      09-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony
You have hydraulic steering? I thought they went with electric power steering on the new X5.
Active steering option keeps it hydraulic
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

These things happen. The line rubbed through. After 12 years in aviation I can tell you it's actually rather common. When two components, especially a pressure line, contact one another it takes very little prolonged vibration to produce severe wear and failure. If you're worried, google "chafe tape" and put some on your steering line.

Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0