Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
Sale price is 130k on 157k MSRP, and this car is extremely well optioned, including electric shades, tow hitch (for my yacht, naturally), running boards, smoked tail lights, etc. Seems like a great deal to me. Even better than the 2015 x5m MSRP 113,150 that I had agreed to pay 109k for. I will be taking the 179 deduction on this vehicle for business as well so I'm okay with the extra dollars spent. I almost got suckered into buying a Turbo S with the carbon ceramic brake package for 137k then I found out it costs almost $18,000 to replace the rotors. Yikes! Guess I'll have to make due with the stock Brembos, oh well.

One of the great things about this car is that everything is done. The suspension is electronically adjustable and right where I want it to be. It has awesome 21" wheels, smoked tail lights, ridiculously cool looking head lights, etc. There isn't much I will need to do to it at all.

Take a look for yourself, the car is undeniably beautiful and has all of the suspension bells and whistles that BMW does not:

http://www.porscheofsouthshore.com/n...13fc5056c6.htm
The 2014 Turbo S that you're buying is nice, don't get me wrong. I was referring to the price of the 2015 Turbo S with a base MSRP of $157,300, and nicely optioned at $175,000. My point was that I'd rather spend $110,000 for the 2015 X5M versus $175,000 for the Turbo S. Comparative cars in my opinion, and the BMW is considerably less for equal performance.
      01-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #24
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Congrats man, it's a good looking car and I am sure you will love driving it.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #25
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
My point was that I'd rather spend $110,000 for the 2015 X5M versus $175,000 for the Turbo S. Comparative cars in my opinion, and the BMW is considerably less for equal performance.
Everyone knows that Porsche has by far the best margin on the cars they sell among the top-3 German manufacturers. Their basic car prices may be comparable with others, but when you add options... you add ~30% of the basic price on-top. That's the way it is and I guess always will be with Porsche (at least they've been able to get away with this approach pretty darn well throughout the years).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #26
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Everyone knows that Porsche has by far the best margin on the cars they sell among the top-3 German manufacturers. Their basic car prices may be comparable with others, but when you add options... you add ~30% of the basic price on-top. That's the way it is and I guess always will be with Porsche (at least they've been able to get away with this approach pretty darn well throughout the years).
BMW's margin is 7% on invoice price.

MSRP is 10% above invoice on the Turbo S. Average sale price for this model in the US is $147k.

Most importantly, it is the better car.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #27
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

the thing that keeps me out of an X and into my Cayenne is tow capability. I'm not in the super high dollar Cayenne club, but I love my 2013 diesel and all the Cayennes can tow 7600 pounds, which is great for towing my racecar on its steel trailer.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #28
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I guess that the new X5 M is superior to '14 Turbo S. We'll see it next to the just released Turbo S (a '16 year model in US?)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I guess that the new X5 M is superior to '14 Turbo S. We'll see it next to the just released Turbo S (a '16 year model in US?)
That would be false. I took home the '14 Turbo S today and can now officially confirm that BMW does not make anything near as nice as the Turbo S. Anyone who would argue otherwise has not actually driven the Turbo S. The only difference between the '15 is the location of the turbos. The '14 requires only minimal modification to get he HP over 650. The Turbo S is better than the x5m in every way, except I guess price but you get what you pay for. Sorry guys, to believe otherwise is delusional, and I'm a big fan of BMW.
Attached Images

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #30
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

that is gorgeous! congratulations on a fantastic machine. the cayenne build and quality are better than bmw, and you really start noticing all that quality once you start to spend time in the cabin
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #31
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

I'll also say that the one thing that swayed me originally to look at the porsche is the fact that BMW still hasn't shown us that they actually know how to build the S63/N63 engine well and that is really just unacceptable to me given the price. I thought to myself, "here I am about to hand over 110k to the company that sold me a car with a flawed engine design." Forget it. I was willing to spend the extra 20k to get something with unquestionably superior quality and design. My advice is to do the same. It's not that much more. There are several 2014s left in the country which I'm sure could be had for the same price as mine. It IS worth it. The x5m is garbage compared to the Turbo S.

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci

Last edited by fatmatt0116; 01-18-2015 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #32
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
I'll also say that the one thing that swayed me originally to look at the porsche is the fact that BMW still hasn't shown us that they actually know how to build the S63/N63 engine well and that is really just unacceptable to me given the price. I thought to myself, "here I am about to hand over 110k to the company that sold me a car with a flawed engine design." Forget it. I was willing to spend the extra 20k to get something with unquestionably superior quality and design. My advice is to do the same. It's not that much more. There are several 2014s left in the country which I'm sure could be had for the same price as mine. It IS worth it. The x5m is garbage compared to the Turbo S.
Not really fair since the New X5M is released yet.
I had a 2014 Cayenne GTS... I will agree that the build quality is superior. I will give you that. One Advantage of the X5M is the better Electronics.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
The Turbo S is better than the x5m in every way, except I guess price but you get what you pay for. Sorry guys, to believe otherwise is delusional...
Firstly, let me say that I absolutely respect your choice. What it comes down to here is really a choice - we can each drive what we want (within reason, obviously I'd love a Bentley Continental GT, but I'd like to pay my house down faster...).

However, you should bear in mind that you're on a BMW forum here. I want to remain excited by the fact that I'm waiting for my $120k X6M. I worked hard for it, and it's the car I want. I, personally, think that the Cayenne looks a little too "Hyundai-ish" for my taste, and the interior is too busy. It may well be more compelling to drive at 160mph on the track - but realistically I know that I'm going to be max out at, ahem, "70 mph" on the legal sections here in WA. BMW have been rock solid with their service experience for me in the last 12 years of ownership, I enjoy the technological innovation of the brand, and they earned my loyalty.

I guess my point here is that we should all be allowed to be excited by the vehicle we chose - whether it's a Geo Metro (do they still make those?) or a Bugatti Veyron (not one I understand, but still). I'm a little frustrated by your "I'm better than you because I saw the light and bought a Porsche" attitude. I'm pleased that you're happy with your choice, and you bought a beautiful car (that as a car nut I can appreciate) but I'd politely ask that you that don't belittle the choices of those who don't agree with you.

Just my $0.02 of course
Appreciate 3
      01-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #34
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Firstly, let me say that I absolutely respect your choice. What it comes down to here is really a choice - we can each drive what we want (within reason, obviously I'd love a Bentley Continental GT, but I'd like to pay my house down faster...).

However, you should bear in mind that you're on a BMW forum here. I want to remain excited by the fact that I'm waiting for my $120k X6M. I worked hard for it, and it's the car I want. I, personally, think that the Cayenne looks a little too "Hyundai-ish" for my taste, and the interior is too busy. It may well be more compelling to drive at 160mph on the track - but realistically I know that I'm going to be max out at, ahem, "70 mph" on the legal sections here in WA. BMW have been rock solid with their service experience for me in the last 12 years of ownership, I enjoy the technological innovation of the brand, and they earned my loyalty.

I guess my point here is that we should all be allowed to be excited by the vehicle we chose - whether it's a Geo Metro (do they still make those?) or a Bugatti Veyron (not one I understand, but still). I'm a little frustrated by your "I'm better than you because I saw the light and bought a Porsche" attitude. I'm pleased that you're happy with your choice, and you bought a beautiful car (that as a car nut I can appreciate) but I'd politely ask that you that don't belittle the choices of those who don't agree with you.

Just my $0.02 of course
Well said!
      01-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Listen guys, I didn't mean to step on your toes or hurt anyone's feelings. Just trying to offer some perspective.

No doubt the x5m/x6m will be fun to drive. It will certainly be significantly better than the dinan'd x5 5.0 that I've enjoyed for 2.5 years. It's going to be a great car, the last one was. It looks amazing, sounds great.

After putting down a deposit on the M, I decided to do my due diligence and thoroughly investigate the competition. I drove an ML63, G63, a GTS, and a regular Turbo. I felt that was important and wise given the amount of cash I was going to lay down. I'm glad I did, that's all I'm saying here. As a courtesy I am gently suggesting you do the same.

I will definitely envy you guys when these new m trucks arrive, but I feel good about my decision, if only to get some variety after 3 consecutive BMWs.
Attached Images

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci

Last edited by fatmatt0116; 01-19-2015 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #36
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post

Just my $0.02 of course
Completely agree with you and congrats on your purchase, I hope you don't have to wait too long. Speaking from my experience with a 2014 X6M, I actually prefer it to Cayenne, both from the esthetics perspective but more importantly from the driving perspective. It's good to have a choice
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #37
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Listen guys, I didn't mean to step on your toes or hurt anyone's feelings. Just trying to offer some perspective.

No doubt the x5m/x6m will be fun to drive. It will certainly be significantly better than the dinan'd x5 5.0 that I've enjoyed for 2.5 years. It's going to be a great car, the last one was. It looks amazing, sounds great.

After putting down a deposit on the M, I decided to do my due diligence and thoroughly investigate the competition. I drove an ML63, G63, a GTS, and a regular Turbo. I felt that was important and wise given the amount of cash I was going to lay down. I'm glad I did, that's all I'm saying here. As a courtesy I am gently suggesting you do the same.

I will definitely envy you guys when these new m trucks arrive, but I feel good about my decision, if only to get some variety after 3 consecutive BMWs.
doing your diligence would typically include testing all of the viable cars available. the M's aren't out yet. your choice was made absent any diligence on the M since they aren't yet available. be happy with your choice in your own mind - no need to come on here and spew BS comparing your new car to another car you've never driven and speak about it as if you know what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #38
ethansun
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
doing your diligence would typically include testing all of the viable cars available. the M's aren't out yet. your choice was made absent any diligence on the M since they aren't yet available. be happy with your choice in your own mind - no need to come on here and spew BS comparing your new car to another car you've never driven and speak about it as if you know what you're talking about.
+1, at least wait until X5m out then do the real comparison
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #39
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #40
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
That would be false. I took home the '14 Turbo S today and can now officially confirm that BMW does not make anything near as nice as the Turbo S. Anyone who would argue otherwise has not actually driven the Turbo S. The Turbo S is better than the x5m in every way, except I guess price but you get what you pay for. Sorry guys, to believe otherwise is delusional, and I'm a big fan of BMW.

I have a Panamera Turbo with powerkit (equivallent to Turbo S) with about every available option. I also have a X5 M 50 D and dont quite understand your comment. The X5 is full of technology, HUD , automatic braking, night vision w/ pedestrian detection, 7 seats a flat floor in the middle so an adult can properly sit, LED's with adaptive high beam assistant, lane departure warning. These are just a few technological innovations not found in a Porsche, not to mention practicality.

I would say exactly the opposite of your statement. As an SUV, the X5 is better in so many ways I cant describe. As the Panamera is my DD and I rarely have passangers, I dont care that you sacrifice the technology for driving pleasure (the Panamera feels like a Corvette type sportscar) in my own car, but I want the car that my kids drive in, to be safe and practical first and fast and luxurious second. When it comes to sportiness, luxury and things like audio quality, I feel the Porsche is superior, but if you want sportiness, why would you buy a SUV in the first place? The Cayenne Turbo S is a nice car and fast, but to say it is superior in every way is just arrogant, espcially when posted on a BMW website. I wouldnt be surprised if the X5M will beat it in a straight line as the the X5M is targetted at the Cayenne Turbo S.

Anyway, nice car!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #41
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

Quote:

Congratulations on your Turbo S! An awesome car indeed.

However, do you think that we as owners of the X5M and other fine cars don't do our diligence and compare and contrast other comparable cars that you mentioned?

It's great that you fell in love with Turbo S, outstanding! It's an amazing car indeed. Nobody will argue that point, but to say that X5M is garbage compared to it and other insulting comments as such on a BMW forum is, frankly, strange, to say the least.

When I was shopping for my X5M i certainly narrowed it down to exactly two cars X5M and Cayenne Turbo. ML63 didn't do it for me. So, to claim for us to do our due diligence and to gently as a courtesy suggest to us... I mean, seriously. Do you think this a bunch of morons here who are only BMW crazy here? Morons, no, BMW crazy, maybe. If you're capable of buying an X5M, you're capable of buying the Cayenne Turbo, no need to kid yourself otherwise. It comes to a matter of choice and personal preference, that is IT!

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, congrats on your beautiful car and enjoy it!

And let us enjoy ours... Due diligence and all...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #42
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

BMW is the pioneer of sports SUV. They invented this segment and Porsche followed. I hate the transmission and engine on the Cayenne Turbo or GTS. They have no torque down low and transmission is not as fast or smooth as in the X5 M. This is big no no for me! Power delivery feels way better in the BMW! The interior of the Cayenne is well built but when you drive one you feel it lacking the solidity of the new F15s. You hear more road noise and wind noise- not as luxurious or quiet as the F15.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #43
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The LCI Turbo S was launched later, but just in the same time with the new X5/ X6M and the GLE 63 AMG. So these models will be very close in performance!
Pre LCI Turbo S was very close to E70 X5 M.
ML will receive a LCI this year, will be renamed and will have the same engines with GLE.
On the other hand, a Turbo S will always be a fantastic machine, but some updates have been done by the rivals too
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #44
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Pre-facelift cayenne turbo was quite a bit faster than e70 x5m, the turbo s even more so...
Appreciate 0