BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

MC Seats - Question

Can someone tell me what is the purpose of the trim along the back side of the MC front seats? (highlighted on the attached picture)

Is it part of the ambient lighting? (if so could someone post a picture showing it illuminated?)

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

04-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
MJF120
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 25D

Here are a couple of poor pictures.... taken with a phone, with the flash off (so that you can see the trim is illuminated!). Note, the lighting is set to be all Blue - but the trim on the seats is white - I think it always is unless mine is faulty (keen to hear!).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
MJF120
Private
Rep

I have double checked the colour settings and if I pick Blue or White I get white on the back of the seats. However, if I pick orange I get Orange (Picture attached). So now I am wondering if these lights are faulty? Can anyone else confirm this on their car please?

Also, as you may have noticed, my seats are Standard (not MC) - not sure if that effects the light strip.

My current preferred setting is "Blue, White, White" so it doesn't make much difference, but that's not the point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF120 View Post
I have double checked the colour settings and if I pick Blue or White I get white on the back of the seats. However, if I pick orange I get Orange (Picture attached). So now I am wondering if these lights are faulty? Can anyone else confirm this on their car please?

Also, as you may have noticed, my seats are Standard (not MC) - not sure if that effects the light strip.

My current preferred setting is "Blue, White, White" so it doesn't make much difference, but that's not the point.
Same thing in my car (I have sport seats). It is normal as the light source is different then from the LED stripes in the door (you get a nice looking orange and not so nice white/blue compared to the doors).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Same thing in my car (I have sport seats). It is normal as the light source is different then from the LED stripes in the door (you get a nice looking orange and not so nice white/blue compared to the doors).
Same here in my car. I have Multi-Contour seats in my 5.0i. The LEDs behind the front seats seem to only have the orange and white setting. This is kind of stupid. Why bother to have three different colors if you can't match them accordingly? (smh)

If you guys do BLUE (BLUE/BLUE/BLUE), what color are the two tiny lights in the overhead visor/between the top driver/passenger personal lights? I was positive this was blue when turned to all BLUE. Goes orange when all ORANGE. Goes white when all WHITE. Now, when I select all BLUE, the top tiny lights are white. However, they turn orange when I select ORANGE. Maybe my eyes deceived me when I bought my X5 (bought it at night), but the top lights matched blue back then - thus, I added this to one of my service issues. If I'm wrong, these lights might just be like the LEDs behind the front seats and only have the white and orange option as well. Let me know. Thanks.

ALL BLUE:

ALL ORANGE:

Last edited by opasha; 04-28-2014 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
MJF120
Private
Rep

I have just checked and the overhead lights on mine do the same - they change to orange but not blue - just White or Orange.

The rear doors actually have two strips, one above the plastic/wood trim and one below. The one above is the nicer constant glow of blue/white/orange whereas the one below is the cheaper looking row of orange/white dots, as seen on the back of the seats.

You can't really see the lower strip on this picture but I have marked where the two are here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for checking. I just checked the cheap LED's where your red arrow is pointing. You're right it's the exact kind of light that is behind the driver and passenger seats, however, when I select all BLUE, the lights under the plastic/wood trim (your RED arrow) are also blue matching the top blue nicer LED strip (your BLUE arrow). So, something is def off here. Either the back seats and top vizor only are able to go to orange and white, or they can be blue, but something is messed up. There was a service bulletin for ambient lighting issues, so this could be for that. It's just hard to tell what that bulletin was for exactly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Many Thanks

Thanks guys for answering my original question!

Seems we might have opened another can of worms eh?
      04-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Thanks for checking. I just checked the cheap LED's where your red arrow is pointing. You're right it's the exact kind of light that is behind the driver and passenger seats, however, when I select all BLUE, the lights under the plastic/wood trim (your RED arrow) are also blue matching the top blue nicer LED strip (your BLUE arrow). So, something is def off here. Either the back seats and top vizor only are able to go to orange and white, or they can be blue, but something is messed up. There was a service bulletin for ambient lighting issues, so this could be for that. It's just hard to tell what that bulletin was for exactly.
Yes, I remember reading another post somewhere on here where it was reported that the individual LED driver modules get out of synch somehow resulting in the incorrect colors being displayed. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

You would hope that the individual LED modules would have the same capabilities in terms of the colors they can generate (I think it's common for them to use RGB led's) such that if the one's in the seat backs can produce white and orange then surely they could produce blue too??
      04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Yes, I remember reading another post somewhere on here where it was reported that the individual LED driver modules get out of synch somehow resulting in the incorrect colors being displayed. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

You would hope that the individual LED modules would have the same capabilities in terms of the colors they can generate (I think it's common for them to use RGB led's) such that if the one's in the seat backs can produce white and orange then surely they could produce blue too??
@wdimagineer was the one who reported the service bulletin regarding this. do you have any more details where I can find the official page for this problem?

to @wdimagineer - do you have the actual service bulletin print out for this so I can show my dealer since they don't believe me that the top module should have been blue? (it was when I first bought the vehicle). now I'm thinking that the rear seat LEDs should have the capability to be blue as well and are part of the service bulletin. if this is so, can you shed some light on this. the last time I took my car to the dealer for service, they said the white top LED was normal for being white even during all BLUE setting. I didn't even know about the back of the front seats having LEDs underneath until i tested them a few days ago and today for the color matching. thanks!

also, to the rest of the bimmerpost members, can you please chime in and test for yourself in regards to this topic? it would be really helpful so we can see if all the x5's have this issue or not. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Just looked at mine and I cannot get the blue lights on the back of the seat either.
Appreciate 0