BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2023, 12:16 AM   #1
bluefish676
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F15 X5 M50D

Weird Suspension Issue

Hi All,

I have had a weird suspension problem occur twice recently with my 2015 F15 X5 M50D (I'm based in NZ so we are lucky enough to get this). I have the 7 seats model so it has airbag suspension.

Unlike the normal issue where the airbags deflate overnight and then re-inflate once you start the car, twice now after parking in my garage, I have noticed that the passenger side - that's the left side in NZ - is down.

But...if I leave the car, and check it again in a few hours (without touching it - e.g. opening a door, turning it on, or starting it), the X5 has levelled itself out.

I have searched the Internet/forums but only find the normal issues. I cannot find any posts that relate to my exact issue.

Anyone come across this before?

Note that I haven't taken it to be looked at yet. Just curious first if someone has had this issue.

Probably one other thing to note is that my driveway is uneven as I drive up to the garage. Funnily enough, as I approach the garage, it's higher on the left than the right. So wondering as the suspension is moving, it's just not self-leveling itself once I am on level ground.

Photos below from last time it happened:

After parking the in the garage:
Name:  X5 Before.png
Views: 160
Size:  1.39 MB

A few hours later:
Name:  X5 After.png
Views: 198
Size:  1.39 MB

Cheers,

J
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Two theories:

You have unweighted the car causing an imbalance. It’s likely from all the excess model badging.

Second, actual suggestion. You have an air leak that the truck corrects for when you touch the handle. So, bags or, the proportioning valves. Or more than likely, both of these issues.

The proportioning valves start to stick when they become corroded from water exposure. This happens bc the desiccant beads become saturated.

So, I would…
- inspect the rear bags and likely just replace bc arnotts are cheap and great quality.
- remove the pump and replace the desiccant beads
- inspect the proportioning valve. If it’s corroded or sticking, replace just the valve.

If you still have an issue then you have a leak in a line somewhere. Get out the smoke machine in that case.

But def do remove the excess badges. Not just for the weight imbalance but from the nausea they induce.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:46 AM   #3
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Are you fat? Maybe the driver's side bag needed more air to lift you up. Then when you get out, that side rises, without your weight on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Nothing weird here, leaky airbag on the left side. Replace the airbags before you get compressor damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:36 PM   #5
bluefish676
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Two theories:

You have unweighted the car causing an imbalance. It’s likely from all the excess model badging.

Second, actual suggestion. You have an air leak that the truck corrects for when you touch the handle. So, bags or, the proportioning valves. Or more than likely, both of these issues.

The proportioning valves start to stick when they become corroded from water exposure. This happens bc the desiccant beads become saturated.

So, I would…
- inspect the rear bags and likely just replace bc arnotts are cheap and great quality.
- remove the pump and replace the desiccant beads
- inspect the proportioning valve. If it’s corroded or sticking, replace just the valve.

If you still have an issue then you have a leak in a line somewhere. Get out the smoke machine in that case.

But def do remove the excess badges. Not just for the weight imbalance but from the nausea they induce.
😂! Hilarious. However, all those fridge magnets come from the factory on an M50D.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get this looked at. Funnily enough it hasn't happened again since... But that doesn't mean it won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
bluefish676
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Are you fat? Maybe the driver's side bag needed more air to lift you up. Then when you get out, that side rises, without your weight on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:38 PM   #7
bluefish676
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Nothing weird here, leaky airbag on the left side. Replace the airbags before you get compressor damage.
I mentioned it as being weird as everyone else as the opposite issue. Where the airbags deflate overnight and re-inflate once the car is turned on/started.

When this happened, it was down when I parked it and re-inflated itself, while the car was off, over the course of a couple of hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:50 AM   #8
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Honestly, I would just lift the backside of the vehicle and physically check the airbag springs. It’s easy to determine if they are going out. (I had a similar issue, it was the air springs)

Also, you can check your compressor to make sure it’s not cracked somewhere, allowing air to escape. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #9
bluefish676
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Honestly, I would just lift the backside of the vehicle and physically check the airbag springs. It’s easy to determine if they are going out. (I had a similar issue, it was the air springs)

Also, you can check your compressor to make sure it’s not cracked somewhere, allowing air to escape. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Thanks, will definitely check them.
Appreciate 0