BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #45
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Looks great!!! Now you got me going on the stripes... Self installed?
The plastic strips are legit...many members have already done them and they definitely add an aggressive yet elegant look - should have been standard, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboum68 View Post
I installed the grill myself but had the dealer to install the stripes as it needs the front bumper to be removed.
Good stuff, Baboum68! I love how the titanium grill looks even on my Mineral White - has a very premium look to it .
      06-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #46
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

so now I have titanium/silver look grills

Thanks to Parm (very grateful for his patience and goodwill), I now have the new grills installed. Now am contemplating whether putting those bottom grill sliver inserts (like seen on the M50d). Is worth the hassle by looking at my car? Am not sure if it would be too much silver/gray as my car is gray already. (I would go with fully closed look as in my case with 30d there seem to be some trays for liquid or whatever and would like that preserved from stone chips ect. Plus I hear it does not look all that good with 30d showing some piping there). What do you guys think? Thanks for your feedback!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #47
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
My config
-30d with M package and air suspension (19" with wider wheels/tires in the rear, ideal for me as I love the comfort ride plus had extra winter same size in stock that were a perfect fit)
-Mocha Dakota (still by far best dakota color for my taste, had to sacrifice MC seats for this one)
-Aluminium Brushed (holding up well so far)
-Storage Package (recently discovered sunglasses holder, really useful for "smaller" sun glasses)
-Lights package
-LED with high beam assistance (for highway not really useful, but for non-highway roads they are an amazing experience in the night as they constantly adjust to the traffic conditions, had full high beam directed at police measuring speed in the far left lane, they had to cover their eyes).
-Sport Seats with Lumbar support (comfort seats are better, these are OK, mocha dakota color was too good to pass, still doubtfull decision depending as my mood changes)
-B&O (great sound system, nice to listen and to look at, costly though and no complementary headphones for Europe)
-Ceramic Controls (love this option).
-Surround View (tight garage spot, a must for me)
-HUD (took it mainly to get extended dials, but is a nice to have option)
-Active Steering (great only with M sport, test drove non-msport with professional suspension package (or whatever it's called) and AS was pretty bad and loose at higher speeds even in sport mode.

Appologies for the rather poor quality of the photos (especially to more common professional photos on this forum, referring to ATOMIC of course ) and car not being squeeky clean as my son made me go through a small stream prior to taking these photos.
Hi looks good and glad you are enjoying it, one question if its a 30D why are the rear exhaust pipes the square ones, I thought on the SE or M Sport 30D they were round, only the 40D and 50D has the square ones. Also just my opinion but yes get the lower silver grill inserts fitted, better still get them painted space grey
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #48
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6605paull View Post
Hi looks good and glad you are enjoying it, one question if its a 30D why are the rear exhaust pipes the square ones, I thought on the SE or M Sport 30D they were round, only the 40D and 50D has the square ones. Also just my opinion but yes get the lower silver grill inserts fitted, better still get them painted space grey
This time around with the M sport 30d you get the square exhaust tips (same as in 40d M sport). I believe only 25d still gets the round ones with the M package.

SE 30d gets round ones.

40d get squared ones in all cases (I could be wrong but I think it is a different square shape if not with M package).

50d gets squared ones but in black color.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #49
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This time around with the M sport 30d you get the square exhaust tips (same as in 40d M sport). I believe only 25d still gets the round ones with the M package.

SE 30d gets round ones.

40d get squared ones in all cases (I could be wrong but I think it is a different square shape if not with M package).

50d gets squared ones but in black color.
This time around?, the M Sport 30D exhaust in the UK are round, you must be a special case
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #50
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This time around?, the M Sport 30D exhaust in the UK are round, you must be a special case
I wish I got the 40d by mistake, but doubt that is the case.

I enclosed snapshot from bmw.de configurator and bmw.co.uk configurator. 30d gets 8 cilinder optiok exhaust with the M package. Even the 25d gets it with M package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #51
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
As far as I know in the UK the 30d M Sport exhausts are 'square' in chrome finish as opposed to the 40'd that are also 'square' though in a darker finish.

SE's are round (I think)

I've driven several 30d M Sports on demo's - all square, chrome finished exhaust tail pipes.
      06-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #52
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@1230vani, I love the look! It looks more premium for sure. If I were you, I would do the lower splitter grills. It just adds that aggressive look. Here's a picture:

06-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #53
Baboum68
Private
France
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Hi Vani,

Looks great. I would also add the splitters, but given the cost, you may want to negotiate with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #54
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks opasha and Baboum68, parts are more less fixed at 260 euros but have to negotiate the fitment for sure as it sounds costly. If it will be too much then i'll go with engine bmw performance for the 30d first as i'd rather pay 1000 for the increase in performance rather than 500 for the inserts . Thanks for your feedback, i am sorry i did not know the cost of this mod prior to my post .
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #55
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
As far as I know in the UK the 30d M Sport exhausts are 'square' in chrome finish as opposed to the 40'd that are also 'square' though in a darker finish.

SE's are round (I think)

I've driven several 30d M Sports on demo's - all square, chrome finished exhaust tail pipes.
I stand corrected them but I have also test driven a 30D M Sport and without doubt it had round pipes, maybe there are some inconsistencies, bit strange
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #56
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:

SE's are round (I think)

Having had a quick look on the BMW UK configurator the exhausts in the UK are as follows:-

30SE - Round chrome

40SE - 'square' chrome with the bottom wider then the top, /‾\, technically a rhombus shape I think it is.

All M Sport - 'square' chrome but the opposite of the M Sport \_/, with the top wider then the bottom, again a rhombus shape.

M50D - 'square' as M Sport but in a black finish.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #57
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks opasha and Baboum68, parts are more less fixed at 260 euros but have to negotiate the fitment for sure as it sounds costly. If it will be too much then i'll go with engine bmw performance for the 30d first as i'd rather pay 1000 for the increase in performance rather than 500 for the inserts . Thanks for your feedback, i am sorry i did not know the cost of this mod prior to my post .
You're very welcome, 1230vani . Your car looks great either way, and I agree that it's better to get an engine upgrade at that price. Exterior things can always be done down the road when the pocket money accumulates .
      06-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #58
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:

SE's are round (I think)

Agreed, mine are square, MOST DEF!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #59
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Are you still happy with the brushed aluminum trim? When I had that in my previous vehicles, I used to go nuts wiping it every single day because dirt or oil from arm/hands/etc was very visible on it, but that was %100 metallic surface, not plastic, basically they used real brushed aluminum on those trims. How is it on X5? Is it actual aluminum or just some plastic that looks like aluminum? If so, maintenance should be much easier, but I am not sure if it would look as premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #60
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Am pretty sure it is real aliminium. I love the way it looks, saw all the possibilites (current ones) apart from piano (had it in E71 and loved it) however might be too dark as there are already some black plastic in the front dash in each F15. If i would configure again, alu brushed would stay. I just saw a new X5 at the dealer with mocha nappa and the brushed alu and it looks great, best choice imo. Little maintenance as the dust not so visible and looks premium. Ceramic controls are as equally important in my view, though they may seem as adding little, they add a lot to the car's interrior. My 2nd option would be that non glossy wood but alu brush far better looking. I used to have a Rover long time ago, loved wood inserts and chrome outside the car, got fed up and now i avoid both. In conclusion however, all of these bits are sensitive, glossy stuff prone to scratching and dust is visible, that dry surface wood is very soft to touch, feels very natural but softness i would say also prone to easy damage. I damaged my alu slightly on the lest side of the auto shift, all other parts are intact, have no clue how it happened or who might have done it (me, my son, carwash, dealer...). Did not get too upset. The scratch on my piano lack in previous car bothered me much more for some reason. What is your leather choice color?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #61
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot
That space grey looks amazing!
Thanks! Color was never in question. Carbon black wth black 20"s looks better imo but car ALWAYS has to be clean. Was very happy wth space grey on my previous car (maintenance wise)
Revisiting an old thread of mine as I got some reputation award from bimmerpost, not sure how does reputation awards work, does anyone here know? Anyways, quoted myself as in the meantime i got a new F15, and guess what its carbon black, love the color and with nano coating does not require washing that often. Cheers
Appreciate 0