BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
adr_bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 520D

BMW F15 Audio Upgrade HELP

Hi, I have the Match PP62DSP installed in a BMW 40D F15 2015 base sound system(not hifi), already have this paired with another Vibe Powerbox 4001.1 Amplifier that powers the sub (Vibe Slick CBR12).

Now my question is... I'm looking at upgrading the speakers as well as they are surely getting overpowered by the bass, would this AMP be enough? or would I need another? I thought since I'm basically only looking at powering the front plus the rear sub I don't need a more expensive option with sooo many channels.
BTW on this model I know the wiring is basically done from head unit to underseats to door speakers any idea how I can actually separate those and amplify them while leaving the rear speakers to be amplified by the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:57 AM   #2
ZPM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 sDrive35i

>I'm looking at upgrading the speakers as well as they are surely getting overpowered by the bass, would this AMP be enough?

If by "this amp" you mean your The PP62DSP, it offers 35w RMS@4ohm x 4 channels. If you change the door speakers you should be choose more sensitive ones (higher db for the given power input). Plenty of volume is available at 35w with a speaker of 92dB/watt/meter sensitivity, for example. So, "yes" I would say your amp is enough for most people.

>I'm looking at upgrading the speakers as well as they are surely getting overpowered by the bass

You should use a capacitor on each of the door speakers to remove the lower frequencies. I cut mine off at 150Hz after one of them was blown due to excessive bass signals they couldn't reproduce anyhow.

>the wiring is basically done from head unit to underseats to door speakers any idea how I can actually separate those and amplify them while leaving the rear speakers to be amplified by the headunit?

It sounds like you want to use the headunit's built-in amp to power the rear door speakers while the PP62DSP powers all of the other speakers. The PP62DSP solution depends on an aftermarket wiring harness adapter that (as I understand it) routes headunit high-level outputs to the PP62DSP for input. Then routes PP62DSP high-level output to the factory harness that runs wires to each speaker. You could tap into the headunit high-level wires and drive speakers with them. However, you would need a schematic showing which wires to splice. Also, it's possible that this would have some effect on the signal your PP62DSP is using for input. Hanging additional loads on those lines isn't something I would want to do when it's those signals which are being greatly amplified by the PP62DSP. Meaning, any distortion, for example, introduced by hanging additional load would be greatly amplified by the PP62DSP.

Is there a reason you don't want the PP62DSP driving all four door speakers?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
adr_bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 520D

Sorry for late reply I just thought nobody would answer anymore as its not a lot of audio stuff going on in here.

So my reason for not wanting to driver all 4 speakers with the PP62DSP would be because if I'm changing the door speakers I would probably go for the Audison K4E or the Eton equivalent...now those come with a tweeter... since wires are routed the way they are that means the PP62DSP would literally give 35W to power 1 underseat sub..1 speaker and 1 tweeter.. which for me I'm sure its not enough as I'm not satisfied with the power output even with the DSP set everything on max at the moment.

So my idea was that the back its more for soundstaging so no need to amplify those really, a lot of people choose so if they not looking to invest in thousands.. so I could've given more power to the underseats by having them on 1 channel each( especially since I plan to upgrade those too in the future) and each door on its own channel.

From what you're telling me it leads me to believe that I was right and I should probably invest in a Audison AP F8.9 bit and wire every single speaker individually from it and not bother with this amp anymore since 35w per channel does sound kinda low.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Subd, Interested in what your doing.

Pardon the dumb question, I haven't looked at audio since mid 2000s, where would the DSP sit? Is it going to replace the factory amp, or is it going to be taking the signal from the amp?

Also since you only have the 1 pair going to each door. Why not get a Two way that comes with a cross over, or just get a cross over? I'm sure Audison have something in there.

But just looking at the spec of the PP62DSP, and the 4x35RMS, that wont be enough to power 4x doors as the K4E are at 50RMS.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
johnlee1993
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hi mate, can you please let me know what harness or connector did you use to install the pp62dsp to your X5? cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #6
johnlee1993
Rep
Drives: bmw

wonder if you can help me with connecting up the PP62dsp to our F15 ? i believe there's no plug n play harness for it , can you please show me how is done ? thank you adr_bimmer
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
ruslan_hasan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 f15 2017

Hi all,
Could anyone help me with bmw x5 f15 2017 year made, sound system is hifi, is any big difference between hifi amplifier and bmw top hifi harman kardon amplifier. Can I direct replace amplifier or I need some wiring harness. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0