BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
LonX5M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3 f80

F85 X5M H&R VTF lowering springs

Hey guys been thinking of lowering my ride on some H&R VTF lowering springs but am worried that my ride will get to bouncy , if any of you guys have any experience with them please let me know , thanks
      06-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
Guntherpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.5i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonX5M View Post
Hey guys been thinking of lowering my ride on some H&R VTF lowering springs but am worried that my ride will get to bouncy , if any of you guys have any experience with them please let me know , thanks
if you search for the springs in the search function, you'll find a multitude of threads pertaining to ride height, comfortability and experience. I did find they were the preferred spring amongst f15 owners.
Appreciate 1
LonX5M1.00
      06-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

This topic interests me as well. I have read a handful of threads and the VTFs definitely seem to be preferred to Eibach and H&R Sport. Coilovers are probably in a different league. Another factor is the amount of drop.

I say all that because even after reading the threads, I am still not sure if I want to risk the VTFs. Considering stock suspension is pretty firm, and I am on 22s, I think a drop of 1" or so all around would degrade the ride too much.
Appreciate 1
LonX5M1.00
      06-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonX5M View Post
Are you on RFT or not?

If you are on RFT, definitely you will not enjoy the ride when you go too low.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
LonX5M1.00
      06-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
nitemare
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 535, E39 530, F15 soon

I got a brand new (in box) set of Eibach's if you guys decide to change your mind.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1627358
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Shredder66
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemare View Post
I got a brand new (in box) set of Eibach's if you guys decide to change your mind.

I had the VTF springs on my 2016 X5M for a month and couldn't take the harsh ride. Your on a rough road or a bump. If you were driving around a track all the time they would be amazing. The look was great but the ride was terrible. In fact I'm trying to figure out how to make the ride a little smoother when in comfort mode. The dam car bounces so much. The steering is terrible and all over the place. It's like the tires have a mind of their own. I have the 20 inch Pirelli tires and wondering if part of the issue is the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder66 View Post
Quote:

I had the VTF springs on my 2016 X5M for a month and couldn't take the harsh ride. Your on a rough road or a bump. If you were driving around a track all the time they would be amazing. The look was great but the ride was terrible. In fact I'm trying to figure out how to make the ride a little smoother when in comfort mode. The dam car bounces so much. The steering is terrible and all over the place. It's like the tires have a mind of their own. I have the 20 inch Pirelli tires and wondering if part of the issue is the tire.
RFT Pirelli?
If it is, RFT is the problem, not the Pirelli.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
RFT Pirelli?
I have a feeling Ben is right about your issues stemming from using RFTs..

I have the H&R VTF springs and went from 19" OEM wheels with RFTs, to 20" aftermarket wheels with Michelin non RFTs.
Made a huge difference in harshness, and I really enjoy having the VTF springs now.
Despite less sidewall, the ride became much better with non RFTs, as so many others here can attest to. Quite a few posts mentioning this when you search.

Though, I should mention I bought spin forged 20" wheels that were much lighter than OEM, which also helps the ride feeling less harsh.
With less unsprung weight and going over bumps, there is less of a gyroscope effect trying to keep the wheel from moving in other directions.
So I get an even bigger difference in handling, compared to just switching to non RFTs...

Anyway, RFT's and lowering springs, is not a good combo...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

How would you guys feel about VTFs with 22" non-RFTs? Is anyone out there running VTFs on 22s?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Shredder66
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:

RFT Pirelli?
Not run flat Pirelli. Just regular tires. They are terrible in the highway. Great around corners and at lower speeds. But loud and all over the place at speeds over 60. I've had them balanced and aligned a few times and nothing helps. Hoping the 21 inch factory won't be Michelin tires PSS are better from what I have researched.
Appreciate 0