BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by First X5 View Post
That was is the same thing I got from them when my dealer sold me a lemon then told me I would get trade in value for a car that was in every week for 8 weeks. My options were to keep a car that leaked water inside from the overhead lights and had a bad tail gate rattle. So at the end of the day I lost a few thousand. Can't say I will buy another BMW.
A lemon is a car that's couldn't be repair for the same issue more than 3X. After that they should take the car back and give you a new one without taking any money from you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #24
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Not really true. I had a 2006 X5 that had so many electrical problems it spent almost 1 month all together in service. One day they called me the car was ready and when I got there the service advisor went to pick it up. When he came with the car the doors were locked and would not unlock. The guy could not leave the car. Very embarassing and all they offerred me was to pay for 1 month of the leasing payments since the car spent almost 1 month in service. I ended up returning the car at the end of the lease and got a new model that came out in 2008 since I wanted to give BMW another chance. The new model never had any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
A lemon is a car that's couldn't be repair for the same issue more than 3X. After that they should take the car back and give you a new one without taking any money from you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Not really true. I had a 2006 X5 that had so many electrical problems it spent almost 1 month all together in service. One day they called me the car was ready and when I got there the service advisor went to pick it up. When he came with the car the doors were locked and would not unlock. The guy could not leave the car. Very embarassing and all they offerred me was to pay for 1 month of the leasing payments since the car spent almost 1 month in service. I ended up returning the car at the end of the lease and got a new model that came out in 2008 since I wanted to give BMW another chance. The new model never had any issue.
According to the Lemon law in your State of MN, if they can't fix the same problem after 4X, they got to replace the car for you or refund your money.

Which Vehicles are Covered?

Minnesota's lemon law covers new vehicles that have been leased or purchased in Minnesota, and used vehicles still covered under the original manufacturer warranty. To qualify for Lemon Law coverage here, registered vehicles must be driven at least 40 percent for family or personal reasons, so commercial vehicles are not always covered.

You must first report any problems or defects in a covered vehicle within the warranty time frame, or two years from purchase, whichever comes first. If the same issues or problems with a vehicle continue, the claim period may be extended to three years.
Manufacturer's Responsibility

Based on Minnesota's lemon law, vehicle manufacturers or authorized dealers must make repairs if the vehicle has a warranty-covered problem or issue that has been reported within the warranty period.

The law requires manufacturers or dealers to refund money or replace the vehicle in the following cases, which are described as "reasonable number of attempts" to address the issues:

After at least four attempts to repair the same defect or problem unsuccessfully.

A single attempt to repair a defect that causes failure of the steering or braking system.

Vehicle is not drivable for 30 or more cumulative business days because of warranty repairs.

The manufacturer has until the end of the third year to attempt to repair the vehicle before you can claim a refund or replacement under the lemon law. A refund is the purchase price less a deduction for the vehicle's use.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I wonder if the LED lights are just too cool in terms of operating temps to evaporate condensation.
Interesting theory. I wonder if 5,6,7 series models have the same problem. It's frustrating to see BMW call a design/quality control problem normal, instead of fixing it. Astounding to see them do this with a sale on the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Again, that was in 2006/2007 so it is past. Nobody could ever figure out what was wrong in the car. It was an overall electrical glitch that would affect lights, power windows, door locks, etc... It was rarely in the same place but always electrical related. It probably did not reach 30 business days in service but it was close. I was also naive at that time since i did not know of the lemon law in details so they would send me back with the car while waiting for parts. Maybe in their mind that would not qualify into the 30 days in service. Also, the law says the car has to be 30 days in not drivable condition which was not the case.

Tks for the details of the law tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
According to the Lemon law in your State of MN, if they can't fix the same problem after 4X, they got to replace the car for you or refund your money.

Which Vehicles are Covered?

Minnesota's lemon law covers new vehicles that have been leased or purchased in Minnesota, and used vehicles still covered under the original manufacturer warranty. To qualify for Lemon Law coverage here, registered vehicles must be driven at least 40 percent for family or personal reasons, so commercial vehicles are not always covered.

You must first report any problems or defects in a covered vehicle within the warranty time frame, or two years from purchase, whichever comes first. If the same issues or problems with a vehicle continue, the claim period may be extended to three years.
Manufacturer's Responsibility

Based on Minnesota's lemon law, vehicle manufacturers or authorized dealers must make repairs if the vehicle has a warranty-covered problem or issue that has been reported within the warranty period.

The law requires manufacturers or dealers to refund money or replace the vehicle in the following cases, which are described as "reasonable number of attempts" to address the issues:

After at least four attempts to repair the same defect or problem unsuccessfully.

A single attempt to repair a defect that causes failure of the steering or braking system.

Vehicle is not drivable for 30 or more cumulative business days because of warranty repairs.

The manufacturer has until the end of the third year to attempt to repair the vehicle before you can claim a refund or replacement under the lemon law. A refund is the purchase price less a deduction for the vehicle's use.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Wait what? I've never had condensation in my headlights, so you can't say it happens in Canada all the time, unless you are specifically referring to the new LED headlights
I am in Calgary - if you go to a BMW dealer, you will see all models with some condensation at some point, after rain, when it gets a bit warmer with all the snow on the ground, etc.

And like I said, it's in the manuals of the vehicles that condensation is normal. There are drain holes and what not in the headlights so condensation can enter and leave.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

I have a Porsche 911 that gets a slight condensation mark in both rear LEDs. I think it's common. Never noticed it on the X5 though...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Wait what? I've never had condensation in my headlights, so you can't say it happens in Canada all the time, unless you are specifically referring to the new LED headlights
I have never had condensation in my headlights either! In my previous 5er nor my current 3 series.
Appreciate 0