BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (F15)

Unhappy 2014 F15 X5 M50d - EGR valve failed

Can anyone point me to another thread on this? I couldn't find one (other than the US related recall) which surprises me.

My 2014 F15 X5 M50d went in for routine service and statutory test (MoT) last week.

A couple of months ago, I had two drive train warnings come up at slow speed when parking on two separate days, but close together. Both reset when I off/on the vehicle and no recurrence, so I mentioned to the dealer for them to check whilst in for service.

The dealer has now informed me I have a faulty EGR valve and must not drive the vehicle due to the risk of fire. They have quoted me £1,200 GBP to repair.

I didn't know what an EGR valve was so Googled it and found the recall/fire issue - the issue was exactly as the dealer had explained it to me. Needless to say, I called both the dealer, then BMW UK - I am pushing for it to be repaired under warranty/goodwill. Dealer said my model isn't affected by the recall, but it sounds like exactly the same issue, hence my complaint to BMW UK.

It's almost a week later and I haven't got a date for the parts/repair (nor confirmation that they will pay) - can anyone shed any light on the current situation please? Any advice? The dealer and BMW are saying very little indeed!

I have since seen stories in the UK press about 8+ week waits for parts, etc.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

AFAIK, the recall iw for EGR Cooler, not EGR valve.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Zagga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 Mothership

EGR failure is quite common on the 6 cylinder diesels especially if you have been using cheap supermarket diesel.

£1200 is way OTT for a simple EGR valve replacement and sounds more like the cost to replace the cooler. I would expect an EGR to be half that.

If it is a cooler they are replacing, make sure you demand they replace the sensor/solenoid on the cooler at the same time as it does not come complete with the cooler and they just put the old one back on. I had EGR valve and EGR cooler replaced on a 2013 330d but it was still faulting and it was not until they replaced the sensor after I researched the fault codes did my EGR wowes go away.

I now only use BT Ultimate diesel due to its extremely low soot.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, will speak to the dealer and clarify. They did say about it being a hot component and coolant mixing with the exhaust leading to the fire risk, so it sounds like the cooler. I'll also ask about the sensor/solenoid.

When the car was new, I used premium/ultimate most of the time. Lately, it's been about 1 in 4. Car has done 94,500 miles, though most of this has been at 70mph on cruise control (my commute to work was 90 miles each way on dual carriageway, fortunately against the flow of most traffic, so a fairly easy drive). I don't mind paying for the work if it's down to normal wear (to be honest it's the first real repair cost in 5 years/94,500 miles), but I don't want to be taken for a mug to pay for a faulty design/component that is actually in the process of being recalled.

I am most concerned about how long the parts will take, as I've read stories of 8+ weeks, and the dealer is being very cagey.

Last edited by tcpip; 03-04-2019 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #5
F15 X5 Silversurfer
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 3.0D MSport

EGR Issue

There are a number of articles on this issue, here is one:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...EGR-issue.html.

This is a manufacturers safety recall and you should not be expected to pay for it.

You can also check on the DVLA website where there is a list of VIN numbers for all relevant vehicles.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:59 AM   #6
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

M50d is not part of this recall AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

The dealer told me that this isn't part of the recall too, but I'm suspicious (partly due to the behaviour of the dealer and BMW) - and from what I was told it is the same issue, on the same part..... Coincidence? I have worked in engineering (though not automotive) for long enough to be extremely suspicious of such coincidences!

I also read elsewhere that it might affect all 6 cylinder N57 engines in the date range, and that some people are only finding out when they take their vehicle in for service (as per my example), so that adds to my suspicion...

I wonder whether BMW has insufficient data to conclude either way on other chassis ranges, or maybe they are 'managing the situation' (and prioritising) as they couldn't deal with the volume of recalling every N57 engine in a short space of time? Hence my post here.

My mind remains open at the moment, but as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of others suffering the same, then maybe it is just coincidence. In any case, if I do end up paying for it, then I have instructed the dealer to give me the old parts and a full written report.

I'm also awaiting my call back from the dealer - I'll keep you all updated.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
Zagga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 Mothership

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip View Post
I wonder whether BMW has insufficient data to conclude either way on other chassis ranges, or maybe they are 'managing the situation' (and prioritising) as they couldn't deal with the volume of recalling every N57 engine in a short space of time? Hence my post here.
This wouldn't surprise me. My 330d was fixed at my own cost before the recall was announced and the dealers knew nothing about the issue as it was originally diagnosed as EGR valve failure.

I was smelling exhaust fumes in the cabin and the car was loosing coolant as part of the symptoms too. At the time no one said I couldn't drive the car for fear of fire so I assume the recall is a result of more people like myself having issues and only time will tell if those appear on a car sold in much fewer numbers like your M50d. If is does become part of the recall (which I think it will) you can claim your money back if done via a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #9
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi All,

No update really....

The dealer promised to call me back on Monday or Tuesday of this week... I called them on Wednesday and they said they'd call me back. Today is Thursday and they've just called me back to advise they still have no update, the part is on order from Germany, but they have no idea when the part will arrive and no decision on whether BMW will fund it. The dealer did mention 'a couple of weeks', but wouldn't commit to any date.

I'm more annoyed about the uncertainty and lack of transparency than anything else - I can trust a company who has a problem and is honest about it, but this just looks like either they don't have control of it, or are hiding something (or both).

Still, at least my wife has her trusty little VW Golf that we can use and I'm not dependent upon my car for work.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      03-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi All,

I got my car back today (just under three weeks). EGR cooler & valve replaced FOC.

After a formal written complaint to both BMW and the owner/boss at the dealership about the poor communication from the dealer, they also paid for all my other work as a goodwill gesture.

Car back and faith (almost) restored.
Appreciate 1
alphaod1149.50