BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Rear suspension dropped.

I have a 2016 X5 M Sport X30d and twice in the past week I've noticed that the rear end has dropped quite considerably when it's been stood for a period of time (over 24 hours I think).

I assume it's an issue with the air suspension but can anyone hazard a guess as to what it might be please? I'm hoping it's covered by my BMW extended warranty (UK), but just in case is this an expensive fix?
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you don’t hear the compressor running continuously…it’s probably one of the air bags.

But that is a total assumption…there’s possibly a leak somewhere…and if not one of the bags…then it could be a leaking fitting. Whatever it is…the system needs to be looked at to determine why the system is loosing air.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 02:51 PM   #3
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you don’t hear the compressor running continuously…it’s probably one of the air bags.

But that is a total assumption…there’s possibly a leak somewhere…and if not one of the bags…then it could be a leaking fitting. Whatever it is…the system needs to be looked at to determine why the system is loosing air.
Thanks, I'll definitely get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

It's pretty easy to swap bags if you're mechanically inclined. You could give them a visual inspection to see if they appear cracked or worn. Just raise the vehicle off the ground, remove wheels and take a look. There are a few good threads here that walk you through the steps.

Replacement bags in the US are fairly inexpensive. Arnott can be had for $150/side. Can't speak for prices across the pond but I'd suspect they are similar.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
It's pretty easy to swap bags if you're mechanically inclined. You could give them a visual inspection to see if they appear cracked or worn. Just raise the vehicle off the ground, remove wheels and take a look. There are a few good threads here that walk you through the steps.

Replacement bags in the US are fairly inexpensive. Arnott can be had for $150/side. Can't speak for prices across the pond but I'd suspect they are similar.
Thanks, it's booked in next for week so I'll know then. What confuses me is if it's a leak why it doesn't start to deflate straight away.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks, it's booked in next for week so I'll know then. What confuses me is if it's a leak why it doesn't start to deflate straight away.
Just depends on the leak. If its small enough it can take time before you'd notice it.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:27 AM   #7
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just depends on the leak. If its small enough it can take time before you'd notice it.
That's the thing though, it doesn't start to drop for some time. For example, it's now been stood for 14 hours and it's not dropped a mm so it either stays inflated for 24 hours or so then drops, or it's an intermittent fault
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:52 AM   #8
skookumchuck
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

rear suspension dropped

Had the same problem but i it was alway blowing the 40amp fuse. replaced the airbags which i got off amazon (arnot ) looked on youtube descibing how to replace them and with a mate did them in about an hour. fairly easy. they were leaking but it still used to go down so replaced the compressor. the compressor wouldn't work but that's another problem i'm working on.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #9
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any update on this? Curious as to what the issue is/was.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #10
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Any update on this? Curious as to what the issue is/was.
Sorry, yeah it's two perished airbags causing a leak. Why it's both, and why it's intermittent I've no idea It's covered under the extended warranty though
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #11
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Had both bags replaced, picked the car up yesterday and I’m not sure whether there’s an issue or it’s just a case of bedding in the rubber bellows. It’s not as soft as before and kind of crashes over bumps rather than glide over them, it creaks when driving very slowly, and occasionally there’s been a sort of banging noise when going over large bumps in the road, the sort of noise you’d hear of you dropped one of the rubber bellows onto the floor. Does anyone know if it needs to go back or if they just need bedding in?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #12
ptr727
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

My 2016 X5 50i has been at the dealer for better part of the week, similar symptoms, occasional back bottom out sag.
I believe my car does not have an air suspension, but 3rd row with DSC I understand also uses air for leveling.
I do not want this to happen while driving, so to dealer it went.

Three days parked on an incline, sorry can't repro, I am bit pissed, I said if you could repro you have had tested for leaks anyway right, right, ok, so just test for leaks, ok, tested and reported no airbag leaks.

They now suspect compressor is leaking, but will let it stand over long weekend, but compressor a bit more $$ than airbags.

From what I read seems prime suspect is airbags, then sometimes integrated compressor valve.
Any other diagnostics I can ask for?
Appreciate 0