BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
dbutlerk
Rep
Drives: X5d 2014

Any high mileage owners? 2015 f15 X5d

Wondering if anything has a f15 diesel x5 approaching 200k miles or higher? I am currently at 238,000km or around 148,000 miles. Debating on getting timing chain done it’s around 7k Canadian which is steep. I’ve had egr repaired twice under some recall warranty.

Dpf I think Will need to be changed around 250k, got an oil filter housing and control arm (again lol maybe 3rd time) that’s failing. Mostly highway miles for me and religious oil changes. I think my chain can last to 250-300k. No high pressure fuel pump issues.

Just curious if anyone is higher mileage than me and has had any major issues with timing chain guides, injectors or diesel emission issues?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

I’m at 150k miles. I’ve bade the particle sensor go bad at 140k. No other issues, I changed a few injectors early on, but the fuel injector cleaner actually works, so that might be the fix…

The NOx sensors scare me… outside of that no issues. Had hpfp Changed at 42k and again at recall, otherwise no issues.

My maintenance is

Oil every 10k
Air filter 50k
Fuel filter 50k
Glow plugs 150k

Haven’t had the oil filter housing gasket leak…
Been looking out for that one.

Also plan at some point to do a intake clean out and intake valve cleaning…
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 06:19 PM   #3
dbutlerk
Rep

thanks for response. completely forgot ive done my air filter recently, fuel filter and transmission fluid as well. HPFP always scared the shit out of me before adding a diesel additive. have you considered or look at getting timing chain done at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

No, I’ve heard that if you keep up with oil changes the timing chain will last 300k+

Not sure if it is oil changes or completely random.

The good thing with the timing chain is if it goes the engine will run like crap and be noisy (chain rattle).

I hate to say it but you are better off with letting it fail and then change it. You have to pull the engine to change the chain since it is in the back.

Emission stuff is pricey. NOx sensors and SCR tanks… but those appear to be random.

Emission error codes usually give you a 1000 mile count down to get it fixed then the ecu locks and you have to take it to the dealer and then have to ship it out to get it unlocked… I think that’s what I have heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
You have to pull the engine to change the chain since it is in the back.
The bolded is incorrect; the chains (all 3, btw) can be replaced with just a tranny... ugh, transmission removed.

There's a special tool to measure the main chain wear, costs ridiculous ~$200 for a dyi'er (basically, a tensioner with a measuring thingy), but any reputable shop should have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #6
dbutlerk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
The bolded is incorrect; the chains (all 3, btw) can be replaced with just a tranny... ugh, transmission removed.

There's a special tool to measure the main chain wear, costs ridiculous ~$200 for a dyi'er (basically, a tensioner with a measuring thingy), but any reputable shop should have it.
What do you mean? Engine and transmission need to be dropped to remove them since they are at the back of engine. I don’t think it can be measured or even looked at until all of that is removed. that is what my mechanic/former bmw tech told me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
dbutlerk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
No, I’ve heard that if you keep up with oil changes the timing chain will last 300k+

Not sure if it is oil changes or completely random.

The good thing with the timing chain is if it goes the engine will run like crap and be noisy (chain rattle).

I hate to say it but you are better off with letting it fail and then change it. You have to pull the engine to change the chain since it is in the back.

Emission stuff is pricey. NOx sensors and SCR tanks… but those appear to be random.

Emission error codes usually give you a 1000 mile count down to get it fixed then the ecu locks and you have to take it to the dealer and then have to ship it out to get it unlocked… I think that’s what I have heard.
I think oil changes vs highway/city driving will Be a huge factor. If the chain snaps you risk damaging the engine .
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #8
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutlerk View Post
What do you mean? Engine and transmission need to be dropped to remove them since they are at the back of engine. I don’t think it can be measured or even looked at until all of that is removed. that is what my mechanic/former bmw tech told me
Well, he needs to justify charging 7k, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #9
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I just crossed 100k miles last month and I have been luck with zero issues since I bought it with 48k. It actually makes me kind of nervous lol.

As mrrsharma stated;

oil changed every 10k
air/fuel filters every 50k
havent reached injectors or glow plugs yet
I also want to perform a carbon cleaning soon

I run Hot Shots EDT every tank, Extreme Diesel every oil change, only use Cenex fuel at home and try to stick with top tier fuels when on the road (Cenex, Shell, Sinclair are my go-to). If I can't find anything good I'll run Holiday fuel, I avoid BP if I can (runs really dirty), and I will not fill up at Caseys or Kum N Go unless I have no other options, as they always cause it to run funny.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:44 PM   #10
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I just crossed 100k miles last month and I have been luck with zero issues since I bought it with 48k. It actually makes me kind of nervous lol.

As mrrsharma stated;

oil changed every 10k
air/fuel filters every 50k
havent reached injectors or glow plugs yet
I also want to perform a carbon cleaning soon

I run Hot Shots EDT every tank, Extreme Diesel every oil change, only use Cenex fuel at home and try to stick with top tier fuels when on the road (Cenex, Shell, Sinclair are my go-to). If I can't find anything good I'll run Holiday fuel, I avoid BP if I can (runs really dirty), and I will not fill up at Caseys or Kum N Go unless I have no other options, as they always cause it to run funny.
I have never heard of any of those stations you mentioned beside Shell and BP. I will not run any fuel additives until after the extended HPFP warranty expires @ 120k miles. BMW will deny a claim if they detect water or additives, from what I've read of others' experiences.

I'll add a data point. MY2015 107k miles. Currently has failed DEF transfer pump and emissions codes. Going to replace the pump before taking it to the dealer to diag the emissions system. I think it was SCR codes... but I'll read it all out with ISTA with the ICOM when I bring it into the garage for the transfer pump replacement... which I have on hand already (16197354384 - $400+ from FCP).

Of the list below, only thing I'll have the dealer do is warranty work or possible reimbursement work (injectors). I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles.

- 2 Injectors replaced by dealer @ ~82k miles (injector codes)
- Battery replaced/registered @ ~82k miles (electrical codes and audio issues)
- OCI 7500 miles
- Fuel filter replaced every third OC
- Trans fluid/pan/filter replaced ~85k miles
- Transfer case fluid replaced ~85k miles
- Front diff fluid replaced ~85k miles
- EGR cooler recall performed twice (~85k miles & ~102k miles)
- NOX sensors replaced under extended emission warranty (~95k miles)
- Front left vertical acceleration sensor replaced (~85k miles)
- Full brake service - rotors, pads, sensors, fluid (~102k miles)

Full front suspension (excepting maybe the adaptive struts) is coming up soon. $$$

Cooling system refresh is coming up soon. $$$
Appreciate 0