BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
HVMihnea
Rep
Drives: F01 730d, G11 730d

Considering an F16 M50d - need some advice!

Hello friends, this would be my first post around here. I currently own an F01 730d and a G11 730d (yes, I like the 7ers just a little bit). Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that big, sensitive and delicate sedans and Eastern Europe don't mix well. I need something rougher, and F16 are becoming really attractive.

I see these days I can get an M50d for not much more than a 30 or a 40. I'm really tempted, but I truly wonder why the prices got compressed this way, as the quad turbo B57 models are still WAY more expensive than their mono or twin turbo siblings (i.e. G30 M550d). I also have seen a few ads advertising a "new engine" for fairly low mileage examples.

Bottom line - I have owned single turbo N57 powered vehicles for as long as I can remember (2009 - ...). I spent more time with them than with my family. Is there anything extra I should be worried about with the tri turbo N57 on the F16 M50d? Anything else that could lead to engine failure besides the usual stuff?

Things that I know happen with the N57:
- EGR valve will go at some point
- single big turbo will go
- glow plugs @ every year or so, love to get stuck and require surgery
- leaking oil and coolant from every possible angle
- timing chain replacement @250k km really expensive, engine comes out
- oil cooler not very well engineered

I am aware that these engines should not be modified. Honestly I have never had injector issues with any car, and I expect these come with the same Bosch injectors as the other N57 variants.

Otherwise, I can't really get to drive one. Can you guys please try to describe the ride quality a bit? For reference, I owned an E70 X5 and found it impossible to drive, way too punishing for my back. I know it won't be a 7 series, but does the M50d get the hard suspension? I can' really seem to find much information on that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0