BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #23
bereska
Rep
Drives: f15 x5 3.0d & e70 x5 35d

for those who is not quite sure how to pry out that plastic:
this is very easy, watch this video

do as this guy does to remove idrive, but don't disconnect the wiring
then proceed with those four black T30 torx bolts holding the gear selector
you get get a set of those pry plastic tools from harbor freight for $8 or so, same with a set of torx bits for $3 or so
save them for other super easy and rewarding jobs on your bimmer
BTW my dealer-stealer wanted $400+ for this job

let me know how it has worked for you
Appreciate 2
1004ron12.00
      06-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #24
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

This worked and saved me hours of time !!

This saved me hours......today on my way home I left a nickel on the roll up door and when I stopped it was gone. Every time I accelerated and braked it rolled back and forth. I did a search on here and found this thread. It appeared that the only fix was the "Long way" which was well documented here. I then came across the "Short cut" which involved removing the panel around the shifter and then removing the shifter. Once those were removed I was disappointed I could not see anything. I came back to this site and read and then I spotted the groove were I thought the coin was rolling, but no coin. I then got in the car and carefully shifted in to reverse and when I hit the brakes the coin rolled back and was in clear view!! Trust me this works and saved me hours and who knows how many broken parts !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereska View Post
for those who is not quite sure how to pry out that plastic:
this is very easy, watch this video

do as this guy does to remove idrive, but don't disconnect the wiring
then proceed with those four black T30 torx bolts holding the gear selector
you get get a set of those pry plastic tools from harbor freight for $8 or so, same with a set of torx bits for $3 or so
save them for other super easy and rewarding jobs on your bimmer
BTW my dealer-stealer wanted $400+ for this job

let me know how it has worked for you
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
sbanX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Guys,
I have a similar but slightly different problem. i have a 2016 X5. x35i.

my 2 old year old managed to shove in some coins through the rear AC vent. Vents behind the center armrest. Now everytime I take a turn, I can hear those coins moving from one side to the other.

I already pryed opened the center panel around the gear shifter / idrive controller but there is nothing under it. I guess only the coins that slip through the front cupholder door show up there.

in my case, coins are probably stuck inside the A/C duct. any ideas on how to take them out?

Thanks,
S Ban
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #26
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i xdrive coupe, 2014 X5

awesome diy

Happened to my x5, grateful for this DIY removal, used the quick version. Here's a picture of where to find the offending coin, mine was a penny. So glad it is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereska View Post
sorry, guys
have been out touch
was busy flushing my atf

here it is
i assume you know how to pry out you center console plastic with idrive knob?
if you don't know, let me know and i'll take a picture of that process
no need to disconnect idrive
then you need to remove gear selector block, it's four black T30 bolts
again no need to disconnect electrical connector, just lay it over on passenger seat
that's it, now you can see what's under your cup holders, (just close that cup holder curtain), it's like a door in your garage
that groove where your coin sits is right between two vents
now... if you don't see that d... coin, take your x5 for a short 1st gear ride, the coin will roll out to you in that groove
no need to buy a miniature camera to see it or a magnet tool to fish it out
besides tha magnet is useless for those dimes, cents & quaters
BTW mine was a dime, i still keep it as souvenir

let me know if above is not clear
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #27
yankeeboyX5
Rep
Drives: 2012 Red 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
This saved me hours......today on my way home I left a nickel on the roll up door and when I stopped it was gone. Every time I accelerated and braked it rolled back and forth. I did a search on here and found this thread. It appeared that the only fix was the "Long way" which was well documented here. I then came across the "Short cut" which involved removing the panel around the shifter and then removing the shifter. Once those were removed I was disappointed I could not see anything. I came back to this site and read and then I spotted the groove were I thought the coin was rolling, but no coin. I then got in the car and carefully shifted in to reverse and when I hit the brakes the coin rolled back and was in clear view!! Trust me this works and saved me hours and who knows how many broken parts !!
Any chance anyone has been able to locate a video to do this for a 2015 F15 X5 35xi? I’m losing my mind with all the change rolling around and my dealer wants 3-4 hours of labor for it 🙄
Ideally, I’d like to do it the easier way...so am I understanding that I would only need to remove the trim and I should be able to see all of the change in there?? I’m pretty sure if I go to coin star after doing this I’ll pay for the tools, there’s at least $10 in there 🤣

Last edited by yankeeboyX5; 10-06-2017 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
OtisX5F15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 View Post
Happened to my x5, grateful for this DIY removal, used the quick version. Here's a picture of where to find the offending coin, mine was a penny. So glad it is out
Looking at the picture, it looks like the coin/dime is barely visible. It still looks stuck and not a big enough opening to remove that coin. Can you elaborate if there's something else that still will need to be done?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #29
OtisX5F15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboyX5 View Post
Any chance anyone has been able to locate a video to do this for a 2015 F15 X5 35xi? I’m losing my mind with all the change rolling around and my dealer wants 3-4 hours of labor for it 🙄
Ideally, I’d like to do it the easier way...so am I understanding that I would only need to remove the trim and I should be able to see all of the change in there?? I’m pretty sure if I go to coin star after doing this I’ll pay for the tools, there’s at least $10 in there 🤣
Yankeeboy,

I tried doing this last night to my 2015 X5 35i F15. First thing I noticed was that the plastic on the console, around the shifter, was well below the side trims. So, plastic tools didn't work there. BUT, grabbing the silver portion of that trim, at the edge of the dual cup holders, works great. Just use your fingers and pry it up.

There are actually 8xT20 screws (not T30s as posted by someone else) that hold the shifter in place. I got 7 of 8 out, but of course the 8th one started to strip out. I will try this again once I figure out how to get better leverage on that last T20. I plan to take pictures and post, because my 2015 X5 35i looks different than others posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #30
skinsfanin1979
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX5F15 View Post
Yankeeboy,

I tried doing this last night to my 2015 X5 35i F15. First thing I noticed was that the plastic on the console, around the shifter, was well below the side trims. So, plastic tools didn't work there. BUT, grabbing the silver portion of that trim, at the edge of the dual cup holders, works great. Just use your fingers and pry it up.

There are actually 8xT20 screws (not T30s as posted by someone else) that hold the shifter in place. I got 7 of 8 out, but of course the 8th one started to strip out. I will try this again once I figure out how to get better leverage on that last T20. I plan to take pictures and post, because my 2015 X5 35i looks different than others posted.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I JUST did this yesterday and thanks to this great forum, I was able to get to my coins.

There are in fact 8 T20 screws that you have to take out. The first four are directly around the silver shifter and the other 4 are below. I also had to unplug my idrive as the wires were tied down so it was the only way to get a bit more access. Just be careful on where you unplugged the cables from.

The coins were barely visible but had to put my car in reverse and brake hard so they would move back and forth. I then had to use tweezers to pull them out. I had around 5 coins in total with quarters, nickels, pennies and I had to get them out each at a time.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I should have taken some pictures of the process but I think it is well documented here. As I was unscrewing everything, I was thinking this is such a bad design that coins left on top of the curtain cover could fall underneath. I need to block off that area to avoid this mess again.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #31
da64326
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011, 17 bmw x5

wow...15 minutes later and this fixed the problem....a dime....thx so much!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
msd3075
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 xDrive35i

One thing to note is that the 8 screws around the shifter are not the same size. The 4 screws holding down the silver piece around the shifter are T20, but the 4 screws holding down the actual shifter are T25. Someone above said they stripped one of them; this is probably why (using T20 driver on a T25 screw).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #33
JeffRichter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35; '11 335 MSport Conv

Did the quick method today and was able to get the dime out in about 20 minutes. So glad I didn't have to tear apart the whole console or spend 300-400 at the dealer.

Past Rides: 2001 Z3 3.0, 2004 530i, 2009 135i M-Sport Conv, 2010 335i Sedan and a wide variety of trucks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #34
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

I thought it might be a loose screw before I found this thread, but thank you to everyone that contributed. Going to try the quick method next chance I have.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #35
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
I thought it might be a loose screw before I found this thread, but thank you to everyone that contributed. Going to try the quick method next chance I have.
I feel your pain. But at the same time you’re helping others by keeping this thread towards the top.
      06-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #36
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

damn. had a coin slip under the sliding cupholder door. then it started rolling around inside. gonna have to tear it apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #37
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
damn. had a coin slip under the sliding cupholder door. then it started rolling around inside. gonna have to tear it apart.
You should video the process for us visual learners
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #38
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Finally got around to pulling the center console apart last night and it's hard to believe that much noise came from one measly penny! That damn penny has been haunting my driving experience since May but no longer! Took about 30 mins to remove all and reassemble.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      08-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #39
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Jeez have the same issue. So funny to see how many people have the same issue as well.
Indeed super irritating when you drive.
Not sure though I ll do the job - cost / benefit is arguable for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #40
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
Jeez have the same issue. So funny to see how many people have the same issue as well.
Indeed super irritating when you drive.
Not sure though I ll do the job - cost / benefit is arguable for me.
Sweet talk a more mechanically inclined friend over to assist. That's what I did
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #41
rivarol
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition LCI

Hello to everyone,

Thanks to all of you!
I have the same issue and now i resolve it thanks to you.

I will share video with the repair.

Sorry for the quality but i'm not a professional!

Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      01-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #42
tommassey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5ix

Coin rolling in 2014 X5 3.35 ix

I just removed the dreaded coin from the center console after refusing to pay $200-400 at the dealer. It did take a few hours to remove the many trim components on the side of the console. There are numerous youtube videos showing how to access the offending coin. I recommend packing the slots with something to insure that if a coin slips in there again, it won't roll around. In my case, I used...get ready for it...a tampon. Name:  Coin.PNG
Views: 8193
Size:  896.7 KB
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #43
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport White

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanin1979 View Post
Quote:
Yankeeboy,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I JUST did this yesterday and thanks to this great forum, I was able to get to my coins.

There are in fact 8 T20 screws that you have to take out. The first four are directly around the silver shifter and the other 4 are below. I also had to unplug my idrive as the wires were tied down so it was the only way to get a bit more access. Just be careful on where you unplugged the cables from.

The coins were barely visible but had to put my car in reverse and brake hard so they would move back and forth. I then had to use tweezers to pull them out. I had around 5 coins in total with quarters, nickels, pennies and I had to get them out each at a time.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I should have taken some pictures of the process but I think it is well documented here. As I was unscrewing everything, I was thinking this is such a bad design that coins left on top of the curtain cover could fall underneath. I need to block off that area to avoid this mess again.
Quote:
Quote:
Yankeeboy,

I think I will need to unplug iDrive as well, not enough room otherwise. Any tricks to unplug? Everything worked fine when you plugged back in?
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
iND Black Emblems and Badge
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #44
trlengle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport White

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommassey View Post
I just removed the dreaded coin from the center console after refusing to pay $200-400 at the dealer. It did take a few hours to remove the many trim components on the side of the console. There are numerous youtube videos showing how to access the offending coin. I recommend packing the slots with something to insure that if a coin slips in there again, it won't roll around. In my case, I used...get ready for it...a tampon. Attachment 1975195
Quote:
Quote:
Yankeeboy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommassey View Post
I just removed the dreaded coin from the center console after refusing to pay $200-400 at the dealer. It did take a few hours to remove the many trim components on the side of the console. There are numerous youtube videos showing how to access the offending coin. I recommend packing the slots with something to insure that if a coin slips in there again, it won't roll around. In my case, I used...get ready for it...a tampon. Attachment 1975195
This looks like the longer method as it looks like you did not remove the shifter, etc. Is that coin under the cup holder, can't tell based on picture.
22" Varro VD01 Wheels
iND Black Emblems and Badge
Appreciate 0