BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Thoughts on upgrading to M sport from luxury line

A couple years ago I got out of a lexus RX because I just couldn't stand driving it anymore (I won't go into it now). Because of the hit I took, I didn't want to jump into a brand new vehicle at that time, plus I had never owned a BMW before. So, I opted for a lightly used 2014 X5 CPO (6000 miles) with most of what I wanted. When I was at the dealership I had looked at new M sports, which is what I really preferred, but I was just so happy to get out of that freakin lexus, the CPO made the most sense.

Well, I recently bought my wife a new MB GLS, and boy is that thing nice. Interior fit and finish is amazing and the apple car play is very useful. Plus power and comfort, etc, etc. Anyway, my wife loves her car so much she was trying to encourage me to get into the MB GLE AMG. I test drove both the regular version as well as the coupe. Both are very powerful and really nice inside. But perhaps just a bit too harsh, even when in comfort mode. I would say it wasn't quite as comfortable a ride compared to my x5. When the day is done I want a comfy, quiet car that has the power when I need it. But my commute is 45 minutes each way, and I do pay attention to MPGs too.

But I have LOVED the X5. Every day when I drive I really enjoy the experience. And the car is only the luxury line with base seats, base suspension, and no MPPK. So, I am again looking at M sports, as they have the comfort, style and power I want, with the new ones having apple car play too. Plus I would be able to transfer most of the extras I bought (roof rail bars, all weather floor mats, and trunk liner) to a new M sport.

So, after all this, here's the question. Would a trade up to a new M sport offer enough of a difference to make the jump worth it? Most of the difference would be cosmetic (though this an important aspect, in my book anyway), though I do like the idea of the multi-contour seats, M adaptive suspension, and apple car play interface.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

I was in the same boat when I was initially searching for an X5. I spent a lot of time comparing models and the more I looked at all of the options and details, the more I realized that I would have remorse if it wasn't an M-Sport. I recently had a luxury line loaner and couldn't believe how much I missed details so insignificant such as the M-Sport steering wheel!
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      04-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I definitely don't have remorse....I love the x5. Best driving car I have been in and it fits all my needs and wants. But now that I can afford a new m sport more easily I am tempted. I continually LOVE how M sports look on the road, particularly those with the staggered wheels setup. But I have a habit of getting out of cars too quickly and have lost a lot of money in the past. But with my wife on board, I am make the jump. I figure in the next few months, dealerships may be trying to offload 2017s to make way for the 2018s
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

M Sport isn't going to give you that GLE-to-AMG experience. The equivalent jump would going to a X5M.

If you want a quiet comfy ride, firstly ditch the run-flat tires for standard tires. For more comfy, then go from 20's down to 19's. I'm still on 20's and it's barely comfy enough for me and my family. But there's a price to pay for vanity I suppose.

Now, if you really want performance tuning along with suspension tuning, then go big or go home. The X5/6M is the ONLY solution to satisfy that craving.

As you said, M Sport is mostly cosmetic upgrades with some suspension tuning:

M Sport package exterior equipment:
• M Aerodynamics package with front apron, side skirts, wheel arch trims, in body colour
• LED fog lights
• 19" M light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 467 M with mixed tyres, alternatively 20" M light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 469 M with mixed tyres in Ferric Grey or Jet Black, other wheels available
• Adaptive M suspension alternatively Adaptive suspension package 'Dynamic'
• BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line, alternatively BMW Individual Exterior Line Aluminium satinated
• M designation on the sides
• Exterior mirror caps in body colour
• Tailpipe trim strip in Chrome high-gloss in M Sport package specific design
• Exclusive paintwork in Carbon Black metallic; other paintworks available
• BMW Individual roof rails high-gloss Shadow Line, alternatively roof rails Aluminium satinated

M Sport package interior equipment:
• M door sill finishers, M driver footrest
• Sport seats for driver and front passenger in Exclusive Alcantara/leather combination with M designation on the seat piping, other upholsteries available
• M Leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons and gearshift paddles
• BMW Individual headliner anthracite
• Interior trim finishers in Aluminium Hexagon; other trims available
• Car key with exclusive M designation
      04-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

While i do agree that the Msport is a lot nicer cosmetically, I would need to get some other significant upgrade besides looks if i were to get the same car again. DHP or 50i comes into mind that would give you a totally different driving experience from what you have now.
      04-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

to add, is M Sport worth eating MORE depreciation over? IMO, no way, especially since you've conceded that you tend to buy new and get out early.

If depreciation is your #1 concern, your best bet in current generation X5 would be buying a used 2014/5 X5 (maybe with M Sport) for about $40k (under 50k miles). That's what I would do. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY new luxury SUVs. You will eat depreciation HARD. (again if depreciation is your #1 concern).

If you want your cake and eat it too...but also want performance, and a really good driver..may I suggest actually going back one generation and buying a 2012/3 E70 X5M?

Everything (other than electronics/navi/interior) about the E70 X5M will be better than any F15 X5 (other than the M). This might be my plan after I'm done with my E70 X5d. Instead of jumping to a 35i/35d/50i F15, I might do a E70 X5M.

IMO, the standard F15 is a downgrade from the E70 in many categories such as steering and handling, and for me, the updated interior and looks can't make up for it.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-11-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I figure in the next few months, dealerships may be trying to offload 2017s to make way for the 2018s

Many BMW Centers are already doing such. Order what you want with a dealer willing to knock 11-13% off MSRP. You will have the new X5 within 3-4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
IMO, the standard F15 is a downgrade from the E70 in many categories such as steering and handling, and for me, the updated interior and looks can't make up for it.
Yowza
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Yowza
sorry mate. Just my opinion. And yes, I was able to get an extended test drive. I was given a dealer loaner for 3-4 days. I got a 35i X-Line.

Here was my review.....
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...106&highlight=

As of now, I'm still torn what I actually will replace my E70 with. Today, it's down to the X5 40e or Cayenne SEH.
      04-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My Msport with adaptive m suspension 20" wheels staggered drives completely different from a lux line with standard everything from a dealers loaner with 19" wheels. So completely different that I can't believe that both cars are X5's. With the Msport you also get a sports auto transmission which shifts more aggressively than your standard one.

PS: My 2015 F15 drives and handles many times better than my 2013 E70 with standard everything.
      04-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
ttomczak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 M-Sport

I went from a 14 X6M to a 15 X5 3.5 M Sport, and its my 8th BMW... we all have opinions, but it's one of the best ones I have had, including a couple of M's. Yes, less power, but overall the experience is great for day to day driving, and the 3.5 is much better on mpg than the M by a long shot... it is apples to oranges, but based on what you had and what I assume you might like, I think you would enjoy it a lot. Move up to a 15/16 CPO car and save the money.
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - 2010 X5 E70 3.0i
2016 428ix M-Sport Gran Coupe - 2014 E71 X6M

Last edited by ttomczak; 04-11-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #12
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

I too was in the same boat. Picked up a CPO 2014 lux line with standard suspension and 19' rims. Drives ok but suspension lacks the proper dampening to make it fulfilling to drive. Feels like your riding on banjo strings. People who have the same will know what I'm talking about. The run flats don't help either.
I wanted an M sport but no diesels at the time. If I had to choose again it would be with the adaptive suspension above all else
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #13
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

I have never sat in a lux line nor read about their standard equipments that come with it. To me it was purely aesthetics that I chose the Msport; I didn't like the black plastic panels of the other packages. The Msport also has that aggressive look with the black grills and body lines. The ceramic controls is a nice touch vs the plastic looking controls. After all I just mentioned the adaptive suspension is a plus. Jk. I wished it came with the DHS though.

What I don't like is the hexagon aluminum trims and how it forces you to get the paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I think at the minimum i'll test drive an M sport at my local dealer and see what I think. I agree that CPO will probably be the best bet given my fickle nature, and there are quite a few 2015s/16s floating around already.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think at the minimum i'll test drive an M sport at my local dealer and see what I think. I agree that CPO will probably be the best bet given my fickle nature, and there are quite a few 2015s/16s floating around already.
If you find a Msport line at the dealer, it will likely be without adaptive m or DHP. And more so than not 19" wheels... So keep that in mind.
      04-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #16
ttomczak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you find a Msport line at the dealer, it will likely be without adaptive m or DHP. And more so than not 19" wheels... So keep that in mind.
I actually just got mine with the 20's, adaptive m suspension, driver and driver plus, m-sport (of course), comfort seats front and back, and just ticked over 30k miles. Plus nicer wood trim, heads up display.

Other than DHP, there's not much I would have ordered new... Check around, they are out there.

Good luck.
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - 2010 X5 E70 3.0i
2016 428ix M-Sport Gran Coupe - 2014 E71 X6M
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I actually just got mine with the 20's, adaptive m suspension, driver and driver plus, m-sport (of course), comfort seats front and back, and just ticked over 30k miles. Plus nicer wood trim, heads up display.

Other than DHP, there's not much I would have ordered new... Check around, they are out there.

Good luck.
Yes, they are out there used from a lease return. But if you are looking for new off the lot, then chances are very very slim as dealers don't stock cars with this upgrade.
      04-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
Jkizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i xdrive M Sport

Quote:
I love my M sport. However, if I already owned the current a luxury line I wouldn't trade it for essentially the same vehicle. If I were you I would put Some nice 20's or better on. Get the MPPK and MPE and call it a day. Plus if your truck is black, having the bigger rims will give you that sport look. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #19
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

I went from a 2014 35d Lux line to a 2017 40e M Sport. 20" staggered, carbon black, black roof rails. Both the 2014 and 2017 had/have MC seats. I also went with the interior Design Package, extending the leather surfaces including the dash.

All I can say is I like this M Sport IMMENSELY better than the lux line. It feels like a different car in so many ways. The 20" wheels, wheel flares, and no chrome makes the exterior look SO much better. The profile from the rear finally looks right - aggressive, wide, tough. My 2014 just looked boring - from the rear, from the side, from the front. It never looked right, and I often thought it looked like a downgrade from an E70.

The interior with the Nappa leather and additional leather surfacing makes it much more luxurious. The MC seats with the design package have nicer stitching and design to the surfaces. The new iDrive system is also improved (though you won't notice anything different just by looking inside the vehicle). The only thing I skipped that I should have gotten was the ceramic controls.

Coming from someone who made the transition you are considering, I would say you could be very satisfied with an Sport, and it can be a significant upgrade and change from a lux line F15.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      04-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #20
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
While i do agree that the Msport is a lot nicer cosmetically, I would need to get some other significant upgrade besides looks if i were to get the same car again. DHP or 50i comes into mind that would give you a totally different driving experience from what you have now.
I agree that the 50i would give you a totally different driving experience from the 35i, but having come from a Cayenne Turbo I purposely chose the 35i because I didn't want another go fast car as my daily driver. The 35i has plenty of power for its size/weight, it has good fuel economy and most importantly it is rock solid in terms of reliability. The M-Sport package gives you all of the M-Performance styling along with a little extra oomph! Imo it completely transforms the car from standard baseline to something kind of special.
Appreciate 1
Kzang3238.50
      04-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #21
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkizzle View Post
Plus if your truck is black, having the bigger rims will give you that sport look. Just my opinion.
Ah yes, the black X5 with the bigger rims phenomenon that gives you that sport look.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the input. I will try to get out this weekend and test drive the M sport. Ironically all this started with my wife pushing me to get a Mercedes GLE. They are nice, but the coupe will be too small in the long run ( for example, I need to go get a new water heater this weekend and it will fit in the back of the X5) and the regular version of the GLE is kind of boring. I really like the overall aesthetics of the M sport so much better. Right now I have a luxury line that is mineral silver with mocha interior. Color doesn't bother me that much, but it would have likely been my last choice if I had had one at the time. My thought would be to do the MPPK for sure. That, plus the suspension upgrade, different seats, staggered wheels, and different steering wheel (plus electronics upgrades) would make the car perfect IMO. And yes, I could also just get some 20s, add MPPK and call it good.
Appreciate 0