BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
CMHX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Diesel

F15 X5D EGR Nightmare

Starting a new thread from another, where I posted this...

I have a F15 X5D bought with CPO warranty. Prior to the CPO, the selling dealer had replaced the EGR Cooler and other parts. Since then I have had 3 CELs related to some EGR issue or another and the vehicle has been in the shop over 15 days. Once some sensor was replaced and second time the EGR cooler was replaced. Now, the CEL is on again with the vehicle in the shop with another EGR issue. Needs one more EGR cooler, third one in appx one year! By the time this gets fixed, it will be nearly a month of loss of use.

1. Do you all have any suggested course of action to take with the SA? I have to say that the dealership I am working with is courteous and helpful. I am always given a loaner.

2. Will the EGR components be covered by the CPO warranty? I have the original warranty for about another year yet, and 2 years of CPO after that.

3. What if anything should I do different? It's driven appx 40 miles each day, mostly on the highway, albeit without revving or hard breaking! We always buy diesel from reputable sources such as Shell, BP or UDF gas stations.

4. Contact BMW NA? To what end?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

if you're still under original or CPO, absolutely the error codes related to EGR will be covered. Take it into the dealership. The fixes they performed will also be covered under the remainder of your original AND CPO warranty, so you have nothing to worry about here.

However, when you are under CPO, confirm the codes beforehand to ensure they are still the same fault codes, otherwise they'll charge you for diagnostics if your issue is not covered under CPO. CPO is not an all-encompassing warranty, so you need to be careful with blindly dropping the car off at the dealership at every CEL. This is where owning a code reader or Carly/Reingold comes in handy. Also read your past papers carefully. The BMW tech will detail very specifically which stored fault codes were pulled to fix the EGR cooler and other various emissions parts.

How do you fix it? You're doing what diesel owners should be doing which is driving at least 45 mph for IIRC 20 miles. So I'm at a loss. You may have other issues within the emissions systems. Dealer should be able to pull stored/hidden codes as well.

How do you feel whole? I would tell your SA your loaner needs to be a comparable car. You bought your X5 b/c you need a car of this size, you can't change your lifestyle b/c of BMW's fault. My E70 35d has been in the shop many many many times for a ton of emissions equipment defects. The ones that takes more than 2 days to fix, I always call my SA and tell them I need a X5 loaner. Once my mom visited me during one of these fixes and they gave me a F30 328i. It did NOT work out for my lifestyle as I had a kid, kids equipment and had to take my mom to the airport with her luggage.

Ultimately, you need to just sigh and eat it. Your only course of action is to sell the car or bare with it. Such is the hassles of modern diesel ownership. These issues are also endemic to MB and VW cars too...so miserly loves company.

Oh...Go Buckeyes!

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-21-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
CMHX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Diesel

Thanks very much for that detailed response Flying Ace! And yes, Go Buckeyes! I see from your handle you are a doc from THE great OSU, now domiciled in sunny CA?!!

I will keep your recommendations in mind and post what I find out here. The loaner issue is a hard one though.

We love the SUV, but it's starting to be onerous with loss of use.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHX5 View Post
Thanks very much for that detailed response Flying Ace! And yes, Go Buckeyes! I see from your handle you are a doc from THE great OSU, now domiciled in sunny CA?!!

I will keep your recommendations in mind and post what I find out here. The loaner issue is a hard one though.

We love the SUV, but it's starting to be onerous with loss of use.
believe me...MAG or Kelly should NEVER have any issues finding you a X3 or X5 loaner. Here in the Bay Area, you NEVER get a loaner unless your car is in the shop for over 2 days.

Large market dealerships have issues with giving everyone loaners, let alone the loaner you want. And with all that I was still able to get my SA to give reserve the 1 of the only 2 X5s they have as a loaner.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-21-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0