BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #45
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

MY UTMOST APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE! I did not see this until I let my younger sister start the car for me and I observed the turn signals outside the car. The turn signals DO FLICKER very quickly upon start up for 3 seconds. SO, CODING IS REQUIRED TO TURN THIS FLICKERING ON START OFF. However, as you drive, there are no issues whatsoever, the lights never flicker and function as normal as you drive, park, etc. The flickering only happens when you first start the car, unfortunately. So if you're annoyed by the fast flicker upon start up, coding is the only solution. I had no clue they were flickering because my car is always in the garage and I have the lights on Auto always. When my car starts up, the Bi-Xenons turn on brightly so the tiny quick flicker must have been hidden - the flicker however is also not full power when it occurs so that's why it was very hard to notice unless I was actually observing the lights outside the car once the car was STARTED.

I am going to code them right now and report back.
      08-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #46
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok, I just coded using the information I posted in this thread for the coding. It worked 100%. No more flickering upon start up. No errors for anything and the blinkers do indeed work. Again, sorry I did not catch this in the beginning, but there is a solution with coding if the start-up temporary flickering bothers you.

As I posted, the CAFD Module is located in BDC_BODY. Just search "fra" and it will find the fra modules. All 3 for the LEFT turn signal and all 3 for the RIGHT turn signal are there.
      08-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #47
CaliX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Ok, I just coded using the information I posted in this thread for the coding. It worked 100%. No more flickering upon start up. No errors for anything and the blinkers do indeed work. Again, sorry I did not catch this in the beginning, but there is a solution with coding if the start-up temporary flickering bothers you.

As I posted, the CAFD Module is located in BDC_BODY. Just search "fra" and it will find the fra modules. All 3 for the LEFT turn signal and all 3 for the RIGHT turn signal are there.
I just wish I could find a company in Los Angeles that codes. I read all the PM's and I think it's a little over my head.

But thank you for all your help

Forgot to mention I tried them again and on mine they flicker on start up and about every 3-4 min.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #48
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliX5 View Post
Forgot to mention I tried them again and on mine they flicker on start up and about every 3-4 min.
I am not a coder/programmer, but it seems the best fix is to find the line in the code that determines the frequency at which the system checks for burned bulbs. Setting it to 120 minutes with a test at the beginning of each cycle would get one flicker at the start. A 120 min interval would cover over 99% of all trips with one flicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #49
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just wish I could find a company in Los Angeles that codes. I read all the PM's and I think it's a little over my head.

But thank you for all your help

I know it's a lot of information. r33 and a few other members are in California. Maybe if you go to one of their meets or PM him, he might be able to code for you.

I could remotely set everything up for you but that would take time, and unfortunately I don't have that much time to spare lately. I wish I did, sorry, my friend . I feel your frustration because it's such an easy coding and the lights are so worth it. Did you check the coders by location thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #50
CaliX5
Enlisted Member
Rep

"Did you check the coders by location thread?"

How do I do by location?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #51
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
"Did you check the coders by location thread?"

How do I do by location?
Just search the thread. Like this, I searched for California: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...rchid=23656904

Or just post in there and ask for help for your specific location like this: "Anyone in __________, CA that can help code F15 X5?" etc
      08-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #52
kanate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

I got them today and just finished installing them. Look pretty good.
The flickering at start up is very minimal about 3-4 seconds. In day light, couldn't even see it. In the dark, I actually like the flickering effect coz it's start and stop at the same time the xenon lights are leveling up.

As promised, pictures!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #53
CaliX5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just search the thread. Like this, I searched for California: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...rchid=23656904

Or just post in there and ask for help for your specific location like this: "Anyone in __________, CA that can help code F15 X5?" etc
I found Rich/octopump from NYC does remote. Have you heard of him? found on bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #54
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

My Results

This is a bit repetitive to some of the other posts, but I installed mine tonight and wanted to share the findings.

The install is very easy, although one of my two light housings was a little stubborn. I turned off all of the headlights, DRL, etc, as well as the surrounding garage and house lights. I did get a bit of flicker at startup. Since all of the headlights and such were off, I could see the flicker reflect off of the garage wall. But I agree w/ others that the flicker is not very noticeable when the other lights are also on, as it's diluted by the DRL's and the Xenon's doing their leveling dance.

I left my truck running with all of the lights off and stood in the driveway watching. Each light did continue to "blink" once every 2 minutes or so. They didn't stop. It was literally a single blink, about as fast as the human eye blinks. I know this because I blinked once and as I opened, the light was just fading

I don't know how obvious or distracting this would be. I didn't take a drive with them on. Given how fast they are, I'm not sure other drivers would even notice. Of course, I suffer a bit of OCD and would probably spend a lot of my time obsessing over whether or not I could see them blink. So, I opted to revert to my standard bulbs for now.

Going to try my hand at learning coding to turn off the test. Have a few other things I want to tweak, so seems like an opportune time.
      08-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #55
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanate View Post
I got them today and just finished installing them. Look pretty good.
The flickering at start up is very minimal about 3-4 seconds. In day light, couldn't even see it. In the dark, I actually like the flickering effect coz it's start and stop at the same time the xenon lights are leveling up.

As promised, pictures!
Can you take the picture from further away to see th entire housing? Looks awesome so far!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #56
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@kanate, thank you so much for the pictures. They are really nice/quality ones too!
Quote:
I found Rich/octopump from NYC does remote. Have you heard of him? found on bimmerfest.
No, I haven't heard of anyone in that thread. I just point people there and they find people near them. I think whoever gets placed there is usually pretty easy to talk to and genuine from what I have read. Maybe, I can help you remotely this weekend if you're free for an hour or so? I might be able to free up some time given that this is all so confusing and I already have gained experience, I wouldn't want to point you in the wrong direction or have anyone mess up your car that has no experience with F15's. I feel bad enough that people are experiencing the flicker that I didn't even notice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
This is a bit repetitive to some of the other posts, but I installed mine tonight and wanted to share the findings.

The install is very easy, although one of my two light housings was a little stubborn. I turned off all of the headlights, DRL, etc, as well as the surrounding garage and house lights. I did get a bit of flicker at startup. Since all of the headlights and such were off, I could see the flicker reflect off of the garage wall. But I agree w/ others that the flicker is not very noticeable when the other lights are also on, as it's diluted by the DRL's and the Xenon's doing their leveling dance.

I left my truck running with all of the lights off and stood in the driveway watching. Each light did continue to "blink" once every 2 minutes or so. They didn't stop. It was literally a single blink, about as fast as the human eye blinks. I know this because I blinked once and as I opened, the light was just fading

I don't know how obvious or distracting this would be. I didn't take a drive with them on. Given how fast they are, I'm not sure other drivers would even notice. Of course, I suffer a bit of OCD and would probably spend a lot of my time obsessing over whether or not I could see them blink. So, I opted to revert to my standard bulbs for now.

Going to try my hand at learning coding to turn off the test. Have a few other things I want to tweak, so seems like an opportune time.
Thank you for this great feedback, David. Like I told CaliX5, I feel a bit responsible for your guys' decision to purchase these. So, if and when you need help with coding, let me know and I'll help you out when possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
Can you take the picture from further away to see the entire housing? Looks awesome so far!
I have ordered a Circular Polarized Lens filter for my new Canon G16 (atomic80 recommended this a while back for taking pictures of headlights/to capture pictures without reflections and distortions from light). I will take pictures of the headlights with this on Tuesday evening. Are you looking to see the headlight housing with the Turn Signals on or off? Daytime or Nighttime?
      08-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #57
kanate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
I can confirm this. Same flashing with mine. It flashes once every 1-2 minutes. I tested in dark garage with light and DRL off. I'll probably sending them back next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #58
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel a bit responsible for your guys' decision to purchase these. So, if and when you need help with coding, let me know and I'll help you out when possible.
Thanks for the offer, Opasha, and all the coding info you already provided. No need to feel responsible here. I knew it was a possibility based on the other feedback and posts available. And, it just gives me the impetus to figure out coding a bit sooner.
      08-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #59
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, Opasha, and all the coding info you already provided. No need to feel responsible here. I knew it was a possibility based on the other feedback and posts available. And, it just gives me the impetus to figure out coding a bit sooner.
Anytime, my friend .
      09-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #60
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I installed mine tonight AND did my first coding to turn off the flicker. It takes a bit to get everything installed, but as long as you follow step-by-step, coding is not that difficult. Helps a lot to have a member like Opasha to bounce questions off of. Big thanks to him.

The lights look great. Much better than the standard.
      09-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
I installed mine tonight AND did my first coding to turn off the flicker. It takes a bit to get everything installed, but as long as you follow step-by-step, coding is not that difficult. Helps a lot to have a member like Opasha to bounce questions off of. Big thanks to him.

The lights look great. Much better than the standard.
Awesome, I didn't know you had LEDs turns in yours.
When it flickered like that, do you know if they forced the rear bulbs to flicker as well? Was it all 4 or just the front two that randomly blinked?

Also when before you coded, did you get any CEL/Message on the dash about light malfunction or was it just simply flicker only? This mod can definitely save people $1900 on LED lights if all they want cool looking turn signals (sure, these are not as cool as eyebrows but you can't ask too much for $100).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #62
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Awesome, I didn't know you had LEDs turns in yours.
When it flickered like that, do you know if they forced the rear bulbs to flicker as well? Was it all 4 or just the front two that randomly blinked?

Also when before you coded, did you get any CEL/Message on the dash about light malfunction or was it just simply flicker only? This mod can definitely save people $1900 on LED lights if all they want cool looking turn signals (sure, these are not as cool as eyebrows but you can't ask too much for $100).
The front turn signals only flickered. The system sends a test signal to all lights for checking of burnt bulbs, so only the ones modified/giving low power (front turn signals) flicker. Thus, the front turn signal coding is needed to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #63
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The front turn signals only flickered. The system sends a test signal to all lights for checking of burnt bulbs, so only the ones modified/giving low power (front turn signals) flicker. Thus, the front turn signal coding is needed to avoid this.
Thanks, On E70 coding was hell (I am going by instructions posted), not sure if you did both, but is it actually easier on F15?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #64
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, On E70 coding was hell (I am going by instructions posted), not sure if you did both, but is it actually easier on F15?
Very easy. I listed the only coding needed for this in the OP and in the OP of the coding thread. Let me know if you need any help.
      09-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #65
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very easy. I listed the only coding needed for this in the OP and in the OP of the coding thread. Let me know if you need any help.
BMW should pay this man.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #66
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW should pay this man.
This is just one of many hobbies, but thank you .

Also, there are much more knowledgeable guys here than me that that are always willing to help: @skalberti, @r33, @wdimagineer, @shawnsheridan just to name a few.

This is my first BMW, so I'm still learning each day like all of you .