BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Question for you Coders

Looking for a little help……I installed a trailer hitch on my new X5 and have a concern. My previous X6 would throw a Trailer bulb out" message every time I hit a bump with my snowmobile trailer and I had no way of turning it off. I can't tell you how annoying it is to drive 5-6 hours hearing that go off. Is there a way to turn this off while coding the car for a trailer hitch? Or even temporally turn it off every time you start the car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

@skalberti would know best. He did a full invisihitch install himself: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...660&highlight=.

I think you can just hit the PDC button to turn off the annoying sound, and you should code the Macro Zoom trailer hitch camera function from my coding thread:

13. Rear View Camera Zoom (thank you LesAshmore): So, this allows a downward vertical zoom from the rear view camera supposedly from the trailer hitch perspective. It's great for checking how close you are to an object when you reverse.

HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING > nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Also, for coding, here's a very good thread that covers pretty much everything: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...uestion-2.html.

Remember CAS AND FEM = BDC_BODY for our F15s.
      11-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak
Looking for a little helpI installed a trailer hitch on my new X5 and have a concern. My previous X6 would throw a Trailer bulb out" message every time I hit a bump with my snowmobile trailer and I had no way of turning it off. I can't tell you how annoying it is to drive 5-6 hours hearing that go off. Is there a way to turn this off while coding the car for a trailer hitch? Or even temporally turn it off every time you start the car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
That sounds like a trailer connection problem. Make sure the wiring on your trailer is good and the connection between your trailer and X5 is solid. You can probably code the warnings out, but it's a great feature to have and if focus on the trailer connections. You may even have a loose bulb in your trailer.

Also on the trailer hitch coding you can add 3AC to the VO and VO code BDC_BODY.
      11-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@skalberti, can you add what needed to be done on the cheatsheet? I believe I added you for editing already.
You can also PM me and @opasha and whenever either one of us have time, we'll update it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

i know this is a little late but worth mentioning.

Make sure the installer did the retrofit right using the right cables, couplers, harnesses etc. The reason i tell you this is because BMW has a cold check and warm check on the incandescent bulbs that allows the vehicle to monitor for bad bulbs. If the retro-fitters did tap into this circuitry in a series mode instead of parallel and broke that check circuit check cycle, the vehicle will tell you that a bulb is out when in fact it is not. Im not sure when the warm check cycles are during driving but they are often. It will reset every time you apply the brake which is when the circuit will be close thus telling the vehicle the bulbs is now ok and the bulb check error will go away only to come back when the car re checks again for bad bulbs.

Good luck my friend...
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00