BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #507
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I'm at 9500 miles in my '17, and while I still haven't had any brake squeal at all (I bedded the brakes driving home from the dealer), the wheels bearings are absolutely horrible now. It's so loud it's embarrassing. I can't hear it with the windows closes, but with the windows open I cringe at the sound. I'm going to take it to the dealer and see what they can do, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I also have a clicking or creaking sound that seems like it's coming from the rear hatch area. It's really annoying, and I haven't been able to to figure it out. Another one for the dealer to work on.

Other than that I haven't had any other issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #508
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I'm at 9500 miles in my '17, and while I still haven't had any brake squeal at all (I bedded the brakes driving home from the dealer), the wheels bearings are absolutely horrible now. It's so loud it's embarrassing. I can't hear it with the windows closes, but with the windows open I cringe at the sound. I'm going to take it to the dealer and see what they can do, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I also have a clicking or creaking sound that seems like it's coming from the rear hatch area. It's really annoying, and I haven't been able to to figure it out. Another one for the dealer to work on.

Other than that I haven't had any other issues.
FWIW I had the same annoying rattle on my '14 X5 that came from the rear of the cabin - dealer acknowledged and resolved it after 2 days - IIRC there was a bolt or something that required tightening on the rear hatch that folds down- they had to disassemble the entire thing to ferret it out. Hope that helps ...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #509
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
We should forward all message from this thread to BMW NORTH America. Hire a good class action lawyer and Sue BMW to recall these vehicles,fix the issue or buy back under a lemon law ... I'm not Lawyers but bet there is a smart one on this forum. I'm willing to sign up and from the look of things many more on this forum. We can post all day, but till one of us do something BMW will just kick the can down the road to save money and face among their competitors.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #510
akina335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

I've had the clicking on my 2016 X5 M as early on as 800 miles on the vehicle. It clicked only when turning right. At the 1200 mile service I brought it to their attention and even mentioned this thread and the spacer "fix" to them but low and behold they knew nothing about it. Go figure. When I received the car back they said they lubricated some pins and the noise was gone. Yeah for about 500 miles or so, if that.

From that point on to about 9000 miles I didn't even bother bringing it back in for the clicking issue. I had the windows closed for most of the time so I never really heard it and I just ignored it. At about 9k miles when I brought it in for it's oil service I brought it up again that it was clicking. They said no problem and they'll look into it. I was promised return of the vehicle in 3 days (I dropped it off on a friday).

Fast forward to the following Monday they said they still needed to keep the car to diagnose the problem, they can't figure it out. Couple of days later, same thing, finally a week later they say the car is ready. Excellent! Time to go pick it up.

When I pick up the car I notice the mileage in/out had only 5 miles put on the car. Okay I see that as "acceptable" but when I get in the car to leave I notice the difference was not only 5 miles like the service invoice says but it was really 20 miles! I immediately notified the service advisor and he basically said there was nothing that could be done since the invoice has been "closed out". I voiced my concern and disappointment how unacceptable this is. It seemed excessive and I'm very concerned the car was flogged/abused. Mind you, I drive it hard too but only when the oil is up to temp. I can't say the same about the techs who drove it. He basically said not to worry about that since the tech was an older caucasian man who drives conservatively.

Still not happy about that, I leave. I mean what can I do? Go back in time? What's done was done. Ask for a new car? I wish. As I'm leaving the lot I notice a crack on my windshield, also a scuff on one of my rims, grease marks all over the red leather seats and chips on the M calipers up front. Now I'm livid. They basically saw they can't fix the calipers because it could have happened with everyday wear and tear. Yes that is true but the damage wasn't there before I dropped off the car. I'm really disappointed with the service department at this particular dealership. I had high hopes for it.

Oh sorry I got sidetracked. The clicking is gone for now, they applied the spacer fix and sanded something. I've only put 300 miles on it so far. Honestly I don't even want to think about it. If the clicking comes back I'm going to be hesitant to bring it up next time I bring it in for service. Is my car going to be out of commission for another week? Am I going to get it back with even more damage? A $113k vehicle shouldn't sound like it has a bicycle with a baseball card stuck in it's spokes. A BMW dealer shouldn't be treating customers cars who worked so hard for like trash.

Note: Apologies for any typos or grammar issues. This English thing is not one of my strong suits.
      04-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #511
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
We should forward all message from this thread to BMW NORTH America. Hire a good class action lawyer and Sue BMW to recall these vehicles,fix the issue or buy back under a lemon law ... I'm not Lawyers but bet there is a smart one on this forum. I'm willing to sign up and from the look of things many more on this forum. We can post all day, but till one of us do something BMW will just kick the can down the road to save money and face among their competitors.
I bitched enough and they gave me a brand new one!

3000 miles and the noise is the same!

FML!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #512
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Makes zero sense that BMW can not / will not fix this. At 12,000 miles mine is quiet, even in parking garages with the windows down. BMW has to know the cause.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #513
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Makes zero sense that BMW can not / will not fix this. At 12,000 miles mine is quiet, even in parking garages with the windows down. BMW has to know the cause.
I think the issue is on the floating rotor design.
BMW M cars uses cast aluminum hat with a pin through the rotor.
My guess is during long drive or hard use, the aluminum hat will expand and contract when it is cooling down.
After some time, I bet those pins are started to get loose and it will slides during slow speed driving and make a clicking noise everytime it slides back into the rotor.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #514
gizmo958
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evo IX, 17 X5M

im on 6900miles on my 17 x5m . no such issue on my side
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #515
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I think the issue is on the floating rotor design.
BMW M cars uses cast aluminum hat with a pin through the rotor.
My guess is during long drive or hard use, the aluminum hat will expand and contract when it is cooling down.
After some time, I bet those pins are started to get loose and it will slides during slow speed driving and make a clicking noise everytime it slides back into the rotor.
Doesn't the F8x have the same rotor design? No noises reported from us.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #516
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Doesn't the F8x have the same rotor design? No noises reported from us.
Based on what I have seen, it is a hit and miss.
Some M5/M6 owners also have the same issue, but not everybody.
Could be due to the rotor size and weight.
I doubt that it is from the wheel bearing, because their wheel bearing design are the same to the non-M X5/X6, and so far no issues with those guys.
Overall car weight itself is not that much different between X5 50i and X5M or X6 50i and X6M.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #517
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

And they throw a spacer on it and the noise goes away for a few days....what a mess. That "fix" is a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #518
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm pretty sure my 2017 X5 was making wheel bearing noises last year and it is quiet now - did nothing but drive it through the winter. 3664 miles...the brakes are noisy as hell though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #519
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And they throw a spacer on it and the noise goes away for a few days....what a mess. That "fix" is a waste of time.
Actually my fix seems to have held up a couple of thousand miles so far. The did the sanding and friction plate fix, and it's been totally quiet since. It'll probably come back at some point, but for now I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #520
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Very glad it is working for you. Very strange deal. Some never click. Some still click after the fix. Some do not. It should not be a mystery from BMW. Best thing is appears to be an annoyance......no failures reported.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #521
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very glad it is working for you. Very strange deal. Some never click. Some still click after the fix. Some do not. It should not be a mystery from BMW. Best thing is appears to be an annoyance......no failures reported.
It is weird. My friend took his '16 to the same dealership for the same fix right before me and his clicking came back within a couple of hundred miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #522
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M (DG/MR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo958 View Post
im on 6900miles on my 17 x5m . no such issue on my side
6870 on my '17 and no clicking... fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #523
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

besides the loud ticking on hard turns, the weirdest thing about my truck is the brakes click while standing still. when i come to stop and park car and turn off and walk or leave car running and walks away. tick.....on one side....then about 10-15 seconds then tick on the other side.......then another 10-15 seconds....tick.....and so on and so on. i am dreading dealing with service. the noise seems identical, except when driving and really leaning truck its much louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:09 AM   #524
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Are you sure that the noise doesn't come from the hot exhaust pipe ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #525
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Are you sure that the noise doesn't come from the hot exhaust pipe ?
nope, i put my hands on hot wheels and can feel the ping, then it goes to other wheel, then comes back ill take a video and post. i noticed it one day when i jumped out to drop off a letter, and was like how the hell is this truck making the same noise it makes on hard turns sitting still. puzzling for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #526
BMWadrenaline
@BMWADRENALINE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
nope, i put my hands on hot wheels and can feel the ping, then it goes to other wheel, then comes back ill take a video and post. i noticed it one day when i jumped out to drop off a letter, and was like how the hell is this truck making the same noise it makes on hard turns sitting still. puzzling for sure.

Normal with the brake rotor design, its the brakes cooling, nothing can be done about the noise, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #527
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got back my 2017 X5M 3300 miles on the odometer from service ticking noise on hard turns supposedly there's a brand-new washer/spacer I'm told it's newly designed from Germany and it should clear up the problem we shall see after work today I will take some hard figure eights in a parking lot to see if the noise is actually gone. I'll keep you posted!

I had to wait two weeks for the appointment for an engineer to come in and take a look at the issue . I don't think they want to buy back my X5m for a second time
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #528
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

Vince7870....any update on how this fix worked?
Appreciate 0