BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

MPPK Tune by BMW vs. RaceChip Tune

Hello BMW Enthusiasts,

I purchased my 2015 X5 35i MSport in March 2015 and I went back and forth on a 50i but in the end the 35i made more sense. However, I was craving additional power and I was in search of a way to increase that power.

First things first, based on impressive reviews from other board members here, I had picked up RaceChip Ultimate tune ( https://www.racechip-usa.com/product...chip-ultimate/ ) from a board sponsor Ben from RGSport http://www.rgsportshop.com and installed it prior to getting the MPPK.

The RC tune is every bit as good as everyone said it was. Response time and power could be felt, not immediately, but after about 20 minutes or so of driving both city and highway. When the piggyback tune is first installed, I was told that the car needed to adjust to the new tune to feel the difference. I ran it in default setting which for the 35i is S2:B, for about a week and 500 miles. Later I upped the setting to S2:C. Again after driving around in the new setting for about 20 minutes or so I felt the power increase and to tell you the truth it was addicting and I wanted more. I moved it to setting D and noticed that the power had increased but I felt the smoothness had diminished. I felt a slight jerkiness when accelerating, so I went back down to C. I think this setting is the sweet spot for the 35i. I don't have any numbers to back this tune up but a few people have reported that their 0-60 times have improved to mid 5 seconds at the upper settings and RC has the dyno results on their website.

Last week after many reviews from others I decided to give the MPPK a try.
I had my 2015 Msport 35i tuned by BMW with M Performance Power Kit that I purchased from getbmwparts.com aka Tischer BMW of MD at a great price ($995 -$45 summer coupon) and had the tune installed by a local BMW service center for $210.

According to BMW this tune will improve acceleration on our X5 35i from 6.1 seconds to 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph (See attached official BMW literature on the MPPK for more info.).
When this tune was installed, I could immediately feel the difference especially in the lower end power during the acceleration. In stock, I could barely feel the X5 push me back into the seats, but with the MPPK tune the torque pushes you back and the power keeps going. Gear shifts are also different, much faster and holds the RPM longer and throttle blips around 2k RPM. Something I didn't experience from RC tune.

Comparing MPPK to RC, I would say that the MPPK tune is similar to RC in setting C or maybe D in terms of power but it is a lot smoother and I feel more torque with the MPPK. I also noticed the throttle responsiveness of the acceleration is instant even in eco pro versus stock. With the RaceChip, Eco pro was the same as stock.. very sluggish.

I can also noticed the exhaust sound is slightly different and something that didn't change on the RC. The exhaust note seems slightly more aggressive and I can hear a slight bubbling after revs in sport mode.

I recorded a video of stock exhaust note back when I first got the X5 which you can see here.

and with MPPK tune installed exhaust note for comparison. You can hear the bubbling between 1:10 - 1:16 on the second video when I switched to Sport mode.

My plan is to install the RC chip on top of the MPPK tune in the near future..
There are many pros and cons to each tune with warranty, price, DIY, ease of adjustments.
This is my review for now and I may update it with more information as I enjoy driving the X5 more.

You can read more about MPPK tune here from other members http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1157810

And the RaceChip here http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1077731

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf PIDoc8299.pdf (630.0 KB, 878 views)
      09-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Kzang , good write up.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Indeed. Nicely done Kzang. Will certainly help those thinking about RC, MPPK, or both (once you put the RC back in that is).

Off-topic: Cold/initial starts always sound great. If only the sound could be "bottled" and kept that way all the time vs having to go MPE or aftermarket.
Simple x-pipe mod on my DD gets close to this, but I recall a past post stating it does nothing discernible on F15s.
      09-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I agree with you Doanster, I've heard of removing the resonator and doing the mod to remove the switch to open the other muffler is suppose to help with the sound. I thought about getting the MPE but I am not sure if I would like the popping sound after the revs. I drive 90% of the time in sport mode so the backfired popping sound would be very annoying.
      09-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Great review Kzang. I agree, I am loving the MPPK and prefer it over the Racechip.
The X5 feels lighter with the kit installed...I decided against stacking the two, I'm very happy with this BMW tune.
      09-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I agree with you Doanster, I've heard of removing the resonator and doing the mod to remove the switch to open the other muffler is suppose to help with the sound. I thought about getting the MPE but I am not sure if I would like the popping sound after the revs. I drive 90% of the time in sport mode so the backfired popping sound would be very annoying.
Good write up!

The F15 has on straight pipe from the cat to the muffler, so no resonators to remove or to be replaced by an X pipe.

The MPE is relatively quiet inside the car compared to what I've been used to. If you have the music on, you will barely hear the exhaust, let alone the popping.
I personally love the sound of the MPE but others don't because it makes the car sound too much like a smaller sports car. I think that's fine because a great sound is a great sounds. Take a look at stock Mercedes C63. It sounds exactly the same as a like a E63, CLS63, ML63 and S63. I know there's no big boy V8 in our X5's but why can't it sound like 135, 335, 435, or 535?

If you don't like how the MPE sounds in general, your other only real option is Ben's exhaust, unless you go custom route. Either way, an exhaust will add a little extra pleasure to your drives.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Great write up Kzang you'll soon join the Alan l. and others with MPPK + RaceChip hahaha u will want more powaaaaaaaaaa!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
Great review Kzang. I agree, I am loving the MPPK and prefer it over the Racechip.
The X5 feels lighter with the kit installed...I decided against stacking the two, I'm very happy with this BMW tune.
X5FX I feel the same as you about MPPK tune. It is perfect for our 35i and it is pretty damn good without stacking additional tunes to it. BUT... since I have the RC tune in my hands, I'm just curious to feel what Alan l. has been experiencing. He did come from a 550i with a piggyback tune car so his expectations are pretty high
      09-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

twelve535i At this moment I have mixed feelings about MPE. Maybe at our meet next month when I hear Alan's X5 I may reconsider it. But based on all the videos I've seen so far I'm not really impressed by it. I also like Ben's custom exhaust sound little better than the MPE exhaust.
      09-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I knew you'd like it. The MPPK is a must for the 35i if you like performance and immediate throttle response. It really makes the car get up and go effortlessly and I rarely miss the power of my 550. The only time I do is on the highway already going 60+ and need to punch it. Can't beat the V8 overcoming the weight and aero dynamics in that situation.

Wait till you add the RC back in. The extra mid range torque will feel even better without sacrifing anything from the MPPK tune.

Alan
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Alan, now I am spoiled with the N63tu power. Even though I only got a chance to drove my 650GC for about 20 minutes since I got it, now I feel the X5 is slow.
I don't know how you can sacrifice that V8TT.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have mpe and mppk. I love the exhaust sound. It sound perfect from the outside and barely noticeable from the inside. Zero drone as well. Best exhaust for a DD imo
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Alan, now I am spoiled with the N63tu power. Even though I only got a chance to drove my 650GC for about 20 minutes since I got it, now I feel the X5 is slow.
I don't know how you can sacrifice that V8TT.
It's a monster without a doubt but after awhile you start to realize that unless you are driving like a maniac you don't get to use all that power much. This was the case for me in the area I drive most often. Plus I was getting about 12mpg with my 550 with the way I drive so I can't imagine what I would get with the X5 50i
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
It's a monster without a doubt but after awhile you start to realize that unless you are driving like a maniac you don't get to use all that power much. This was the case for me in the area I drive most often. Plus I was getting about 12mpg with my 550 with the way I drive so I can't imagine what I would get with the X5 50i
Out of curiosity, what does your X5 display say you're getting?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:10 AM   #15
brucedu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i F15 M Fully loaded

Quote:
Hello BMW Enthusiasts,

I purchased my 2015 X5 35i MSport in March 2015 and I went back and forth on a 50i but in the end the 35i made more sense. However, I was craving additional power and I was in search of a way to increase that power.

First things first, based on impressive reviews from other board members here, I had picked up RaceChip Ultimate tune ( https://www.racechip-usa.com/product...chip-ultimate/ ) from a board sponsor Ben from RGSport http://www.rgsportshop.com and installed it prior to getting the MPPK.

The RC tune is every bit as good as everyone said it was. Response time and power could be felt, not immediately, but after about 20 minutes or so of driving both city and highway. When the piggyback tune is first installed, I was told that the car needed to adjust to the new tune to feel the difference. I ran it in default setting which for the 35i is S2:B, for about a week and 500 miles. Later I upped the setting to S2:C. Again after driving around in the new setting for about 20 minutes or so I felt the power increase and to tell you the truth it was addicting and I wanted more. I moved it to setting D and noticed that the power had increased but I felt the smoothness had diminished. I felt a slight jerkiness when accelerating, so I went back down to C. I think this setting is the sweet spot for the 35i. I don't have any numbers to back this tune up but a few people have reported that their 0-60 times have improved to mid 5 seconds at the upper settings and RC has the dyno results on their website.

Last week after many reviews from others I decided to give the MPPK a try.
I had my 2015 Msport 35i tuned by BMW with M Performance Power Kit that I purchased from getbmwparts.com aka Tischer BMW of MD at a great price ($995 -$45 summer coupon) and had the tune installed by a local BMW service center for $210.

According to BMW this tune will improve acceleration on our X5 35i from 6.1 seconds to 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph (See attached official BMW literature on the MPPK for more info.).
When this tune was installed, I could immediately feel the difference especially in the lower end power during the acceleration. In stock, I could barely feel the X5 push me back into the seats, but with the MPPK tune the torque pushes you back and the power keeps going. Gear shifts are also different, much faster and holds the RPM longer and throttle blips around 2k RPM. Something I didn't experience from RC tune.

Comparing MPPK to RC, I would say that the MPPK tune is similar to RC in setting C or maybe D in terms of power but it is a lot smoother and I feel more torque with the MPPK. I also noticed the throttle responsiveness of the acceleration is instant even in eco pro versus stock. With the RaceChip, Eco pro was the same as stock.. very sluggish.

I can also noticed the exhaust sound is slightly different and something that didn't change on the RC. The exhaust note seems slightly more aggressive and I can hear a slight bubbling after revs in sport mode.

I recorded a video of stock exhaust note back when I first got the X5 which you can see here.

and with MPPK tune installed exhaust note for comparison. You can hear the bubbling between 1:10 - 1:16 on the second video when I switched to Sport mode.

My plan is to install the RC chip on top of the MPPK tune in the near future..
There are many pros and cons to each tune with warranty, price, DIY, ease of adjustments.
This is my review for now and I may update it with more information as I enjoy driving the X5 more.

You can read more about MPPK tune here from other members http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1157810

And the RaceChip here http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1077731

Thanks all.
I can't wait your review after you add the RC on the top of MPPK, I am waiting my RC as well....
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Guys, I added the race chip today on default setting B and it is awesome. In sport mode with the shifter to the left, from dead stop when I accelerate the X5 shifts very fast. Since my understanding is that the chip does not change the shift points, I'm guessing its because it takes less time for the revs with he additional power?

This may sound silly but the X5 accelerates and shifts like a racecar. I would guesstimate that my 0-60 mph is very close to 5 seconds now.. Loads of torque is felt in all gears and the X5 feels satisfying. I was planning to sell the RC, but I think I will hold on to it now. I will update this thread when / if I up the setting to C.
      09-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #17
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Guys, I added the race chip today on default setting B and it is awesome. In sport mode with the shifter to the left, from dead stop when I accelerate the X5 shifts very fast. Since my understanding is that the chip does not change the shift points, I'm guessing its because it takes less time for the revs with he additional power?

This may sound silly but the X5 accelerates and shifts like a racecar. I would guesstimate that my 0-60 mph is very close to 5 seconds now.. Loads of torque is felt in all gears and the X5 feels satisfying. I was planning to sell the RC, but I think I will hold on to it now. I will update this thread when / if I up the setting to C.
The key component to everything you've said is "feels" and "seems" and other relative terms. Without objective measures, everything is suspect thanks to confirmation bias and the placebo effect. You should find a quality dyno shop with a 4-wheel setup and actually see what you're getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #18
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Any exhaust sound differences cold or warm?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #19
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I noticed that if you switch to Sport Mode during cold start it keeps the exhaust valve open even after the cold start
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Without the mpe? And you are saying it keeps it open with mppk and RC in tandem? Or does it with mppk w/o RC as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Stock exhaust valve always closes. MPE has no valve
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd
Any exhaust sound differences cold or warm?
Didn't have a chance to hear a cold start until this morning. The sound to me sounds the same. So no noticeable sound changes with the Race Chip installed.