BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #23
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

We picked up the GLE coupe over the weekend. Though it will be my wife's daily driver, she kindly let me drive it home. After a long drive back, I'm frankly surprised how much I love it. As a longtime BMW fan, I am shocked to say this but I think it is superior to the F16, except in three, maybe five ways. My feeling is that for some, these 3 issues could be deal breakers. For me though, I think we made the right decision.

Significant:

1. The vehicle feels a slight bit less stable and connected to the road than does the F16 or my E71. It's not at all bad, but there is a difference especially between my E71 and the GLE. I noticed I felt slightly less in control accelerating around some turns trying to pass a car, but I think that also might be due to the fact that I'm used to the drive of my E71. That said, the steering is obviously not as tight as my E71, but it in sport+, the GLE is pretty comparable to the steering on the F16.

2. The rear window viability is even worse than on the F16. Shocking, but true.

3. I miss my multi-contour seats. The ability to adjust the top half of the seat is something I've gotten used to and would rather not give up. I'll get over it, but I'm amazed MB hasn't decided to add that as an option.

Less significant, but noticeable:

4. The infotainment system is not intuitive. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I strongly prefer the BMW system. I'm also not absolutely in love with the layout of the dash. While I don't personally mind the interior styling, it could be better. We got the carbon fiber and leather dash. It looks pretty spiffy to me. That said, when MB carries over the updated e class/s class interior styling to the GLE, it'll be no contest.

5. No physical camera button on the dash. Minor, but a PITA when pulling into a spot.

With the negatives out of the way, I have to say how simply NICE the car is. The finishes seem more luxurious than the F16. The ride is comfortable when it should be and stiff when it should be. All of the technology, including all of the driver assistance features, is truly impressive. Also, the rear seats (not that I'll ever sit in them) are actually comfortable. Perhaps my favorite thing though about the GLE is the exhaust. Even in comfort mode it is fricking awesome.

I'll post some pictures when I have a free moment.
Appreciate 1
XXX5103.50
      04-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s View Post
We picked up the GLE coupe over the weekend. Though it will be my wife's daily driver, she kindly let me drive it home. After a long drive back, I'm frankly surprised how much I love it. As a longtime BMW fan, I am shocked to say this but I think it is superior to the F16, except in three, maybe five ways. My feeling is that for some, these 3 issues could be deal breakers. For me though, I think we made the right decision.

Significant:

1. The vehicle feels a slight bit less stable and connected to the road than does the F16 or my E71. It's not at all bad, but there is a difference especially between my E71 and the GLE. I noticed I felt slightly less in control accelerating around some turns trying to pass a car, but I think that also might be due to the fact that I'm used to the drive of my E71. That said, the steering is obviously not as tight as my E71, but it in sport+, the GLE is pretty comparable to the steering on the F16.

2. The rear window viability is even worse than on the F16. Shocking, but true.

3. I miss my multi-contour seats. The ability to adjust the top half of the seat is something I've gotten used to and would rather not give up. I'll get over it, but I'm amazed MB hasn't decided to add that as an option.

Less significant, but noticeable:

4. The infotainment system is not intuitive. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I strongly prefer the BMW system. I'm also not absolutely in love with the layout of the dash. While I don't personally mind the interior styling, it could be better. We got the carbon fiber and leather dash. It looks pretty spiffy to me. That said, when MB carries over the updated e class/s class interior styling to the GLE, it'll be no contest.

5. No physical camera button on the dash. Minor, but a PITA when pulling into a spot.

With the negatives out of the way, I have to say how simply NICE the car is. The finishes seem more luxurious than the F16. The ride is comfortable when it should be and stiff when it should be. All of the technology, including all of the driver assistance features, is truly impressive. Also, the rear seats (not that I'll ever sit in them) are actually comfortable. Perhaps my favorite thing though about the GLE is the exhaust. Even in comfort mode it is fricking awesome.

I'll post some pictures when I have a free moment.
Many people have commented that Merc's infotaintment is not as good as Idrive. After all idrive is business leading.

Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it and post some exhaust sounds for us
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #25
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Congratulations on the new car! looking forward to setting some nice pics and another review after some more experience of ownership